lame frames (1 Viewer)

Charlie Bucket

burn-the-maps.gif

The Frames
Burn the Maps
[Anti; 2005]
Rating: 4.7</B>

On their well-received 2001 LP--the Steve Albini-recorded For the Birds-- Ireland's the Frames got miles of melodrama out of only a couple of guitar chords. Unfortunately, on their latest release, Burn the Maps, they're far more ambitious. The tracks here frequently sounds as intimate as those on For the Birds, but don't stay that way for long, often ballooning into sweeping arrangements and choruses that find singer Glen Hansard screaming to the cheap seats. It can make for awkward listening.

Lost amidst the large-scale production, Hansard sounds particularly bare. On the earnest "Finally"-- the record's best tune-- the Frames strike the right balance between strangled, melodramatic notes and Hansard's sincere vocals. But most other songs on Burn the Maps suffer from bloated arrangements: The delicate folk of "Trying" gives way to U2 stadium-scraping guitar, and "Fake" leaps from three-week-overdue pauses in its verse into a swaggering chorus. "Dream Awake" and "Keepsake" also reach overwrought climaxes they never deserved. Please, guys, please-- one song without strings in the chorus! Just one. I know you have a violinist in your midst, but there has to be another way to bring the bombastitude.

"Ship Caught in the Bay" is an interesting experiment, with an Eastern-tinged drum loop and whispered, suspenseful lyrics. Like every track on the LP, it loudens and widens, but this time it's into a hard drum loop and electronic soundscapes rather than stadium rock. "Underglass"-- the only track that sounds like a rocker from beginning to end-- provides some well-needed catharsis. The Frames could have used more tracks with consistent, engaging tones. Instead Burn the Maps often sounds like simplicity transformed into bloat in an attempt to sound interesting. It rarely works: Most of these tracks simply move from captivating to frustrating to regrettable.

Hector Grey said:
how curiously irrelevant. i'm intrrsnore snore

Well, it's interesting because it seems to be on Anti, which is Tom Waits' current label and has tended to put out reasonably left-field stuff in the past. Why they'd bother with a run-of-the-mill band like The Frames is beyond me.

Paul

photon said:
Well, it's interesting because it seems to be on Anti, which is Tom Waits' current label and has tended to put out reasonably left-field stuff in the past. Why they'd bother with a run-of-the-mill band like The Frames is beyond me.

Paul
uh huh. and what has mr waits done that's anything he hasn't already done lately? he gone kindsnore snore

Wavioli said:
I would. well not really, but jesus somebody has to takes some action around here.
how about some positive action, instead of all this talk of violence which you mangy cunts would never see through to patella beating in anyways. just don't buy the album. perhaps they'll disappear off the edge of the world. and they'd be fucked for getting back too, i mean, what withe burning the masnore snore

At the risk of being lynched, I think it's one of the Frames' better albums, despite its resolutely downbeat nature. "Sideways Down" and "A Caution To The Birds" are excellent, as is "Dream Awake" and opener "Happy", and the track about Darragh Purcell "Suffer in Silence" is exquisite. It's the album, for me anyway, where Colm Mac Con Iomaire finally shows his worth by veering away from the traditional strangled cat violin playing that plagues any band with a violin player, and Lisa Hannnigan's touches to the record are sublime, particularly on the aformentioned "Sideways Down", which has been butchered with a shocking single edit. Whilst there are faults with it - especially the shit Smashing Pumpkins rip-off that is "Fake" - its a disc The Frames will have to try hard to top.

Bye bye rep points.

Is Anti that label that's run(well in name anyway) by one of the dudes from offspring or something?

what's the deal with telling factual stories about a certain frames member who might not want the general public to know about?
like say for instance i knew someone who got paid a healthy sum of money because a certain song writer stole his song.....or something, and that my opinion is that nearly all the hits written by this so called song writer are actually other peoples songs, would i get into trouble?

SadieOutlaw said:
what's the deal with telling factual stories about a certain frames member who might not want the general public to know about?
like say for instance i knew someone who got paid a healthy sum of money because a certain song writer stole his song.....or something, and that my opinion is that nearly all the hits written by this so called song writer are actually other peoples songs, would i get into trouble?

WHO pulled a wilson???????????????????????????????

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back