Ladyfest Table Quiz: Air Guitar for Your Brain. (2 Viewers)

egg_ said:
There's no such thing as a hard quiz question, surely - if you know the answer it's easy, if you don't it's impossible.

Not sure about that one Egg. At the art truck quiz there were plenty of questions that my team didn't know, but worked out an educated guess for an answer.

(The questions jane posted seem fine)

Actually to put things in perspective, why don't we all suggest a good quiz question.

I'll start: Which man's rib became the first woman?

(I'll post the answer later)

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Not sure about that one Egg. At the art truck quiz there were plenty of questions that my team didn't know, but worked out an educated guess for an answer.

(The questions jane posted seem fine)
Exactly, it's like for that quiz, people were saying that they found the questions difficult, but no one is giving out about not having fun because they didn't win.

And educated guessing is, I thought, part of the fun of a quiz.

In fairness, I did list some of the easier questions.

Who was the first woman to rule England as queen in her own right?
What 16th century Irish woman became known as ‘The Pirate Queen’?
What was the name of the woman who ruled over the British tribe called the Iceni in the 1st century AD? (who, by the way, is in the media loads lately because they're making a movie)
The discovery of DNA resulted in a Nobel Prize for Francis Watson and James Crick in 1962. What was the name of the woman who was -- largely unrecognised at the time – also responsible for this?
What painter, the daughter of another 17th-century painter, was best known for her series of paintings of Judith in various stages of slaying Holofernes, believed to be a way of releasing some of the anxieties from a rape by another artist?

This last one, ok, biased toward students of art (but where isn't there bias?), but really, there are only two reasonably well-known 17th century female painters. You had a 50/50 chance. Really, how is it less biased than 'Who won the Leinster final for hurling in 1982?' which, by the way, could be seen as an acceptable quiz question.

if you feel that way, great, i think that the thing myself and a few others are trying to point out is that you maybe alienated an amount of people last night, and wanting ladyfest to succeed, we are trying to point this out as politely as possible.

egg_ said:
For which county does the best hurling goalkeeper in the country play?
heh heh!
.........oh the purple & gold.......is a dream i behold..........

(gaa songs rule!)

damien said:
if you feel that way, great, i think that the thing myself and a few others are trying to point out is that you maybe alienated an amount of people last night, and wanting ladyfest to succeed, we are trying to point this out as politely as possible.
Yes, we're happy that people came. Yes, we of course don't want people to feel alienated, and we want people to support LAdyfest, but the threat that people will stop supporting us because our quiz questions were too hard is a bit harsh, don't you think? Frankly, I think your polite pointing is severely lacking in politeness.

Hard? Yes. Alienating? Why is it that we alienate, while others simply challenge? Why is it that we are judged so much more harshly?

Well Jane you have to look at it and see that a lot of the WOMEN involved with LADYFEST didn't have a good time, along with all the rest.

Lots of people left with a bad mindset about Ladyfest and what we do. Bore people? Heck I don't want to do that.

I felt shit because I had people saying "why are the questions shit jill?". And I had nothing to do with it.

jane said:
Yes, we're happy that people came. Yes, we of course don't want people to feel alienated, and we want people to support LAdyfest, but the threat that people will stop supporting us because our quiz questions were too hard is a bit harsh, don't you think? Frankly, I think your polite pointing is severely lacking in politeness.

Hard? Yes. Alienating? Why is it that we alienate, while others simply challenge? Why is it that we are judged so much more harshly?
beacause, between you, you know more facts than most people. i speak the truth i tells you. you do realise you're both knowledge hoarders? i'm just being honest. i doubt it has anything to do with the fact the pair of you are female.

jane said:
What painter, the daughter of another 17th-century painter, was best known for her series of paintings of Judith in various stages of slaying Holofernes, believed to be a way of releasing some of the anxieties from a rape by another artist?

This last one, ok, biased toward students of art (but where isn't there bias?), but really, there are only two reasonably well-known 17th century female painters. You had a 50/50 chance. Really, how is it less biased than 'Who won the Leinster final for hurling in 1982?' which, by the way, could be seen as an acceptable quiz question.
It's funny you should use that example, cos Leinster hurling since the late 70s has been dominated by two teams - Offaly and Kilkenny - and in fact all Leinster championships in the 80s were won by one or the other, so you'd have a 50/50 chance there too :)

egg_ said:
It's funny you should use that example, cos Leinster hurling since the late 70s has been dominated by two teams - Offaly and Kilkenny - and in fact all Leinster championships in the 80s were won by one or the other, so you'd have a 50/50 chance there too :)
Yes, and I would also have two choices, since I know nothing about hurling: take a wild guess, or start shouting, "This quiz alienates me! I'm going to blame the quiz setters!" I would probably have guessed Kilkenny.

i'm not sure why people are getting so het up about this, to be honest. as i said earlier, yes, the questions maybe focused too much on particular areas of knowledge and some of my team-mates couldn't answer a lot of them. they weren't particularly upset about it though. and of course it meant they could concentrate more on the important task of buying me drink...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back