Ladyfest Bands Committee Looking for Submissions! (1 Viewer)

ladyfest

Ladyfest Dublin Bands Committee is currently looking for bands/musicians/spoken word artists etc. etc willing or available to play at
Ireland's first Ladyfest. Ladyfest is a non-profit, DIY festival organised
by women to celebrate our womanhood and encourage more women to become involved in the arts, but of course it is open for anyone to come along to and enjoy. It's due to take place from the 12th to the 14th of November and will include workshops, art exhibitions, films, bands, DJs and much more.

You can check out our website at www.ladyfestdublin.org for more info.
If you think you would be able to play, please reply to
[email protected] with the following info:

Name of band:
Travel Costs:
No. of members:
Genre:
Stage Set up:

Thank you,
Hope to hear from you soon

The Ladyfest slogan should be "blatant feminist sexism in the modern age". Imagine a group of blokes setting up a "Manfest" in this day and age!? I ask ya? !baggyyyy

Pontif said:
The Ladyfest slogan should be "blatant feminist sexism in the modern age". Imagine a group of blokes setting up a "Manfest" in this day and age!? I ask ya? !baggyyyy
Yes, we are all blatantly sexist. That's what we're trying to do, right? Didn't you know that feminists already run the world? That's why there are so many women in positions of power, why issues like childcare (even though it's relevant to men, too), housing (ok, it's an issue, but not enough of one), decent employment, etc, are in the political foreground. That's why the grants for returning to education (which seem to have benefited more women than men) have not been bolstered in a while. That's why the only women in the highest positions of power are those who are anti-feminist, because the rest of us are so damn liberated that we just can't be bothered. Plus, we're too busy hating men.

We're like David Icke's lizards, we are. Along with those twelve (or was it fifteen?) 'species' of lizards, there is a cabal of super-feminists, controlling the place from an underground bunker about a mile beneath the earth's crust. It's awesome! Need proof? If this weren't the case, most of the important jobs would be held by men! And how craaaazy would that be!?

And anyway, given that one of the things that will go on at LAdyfest (though people who are just there for the fun and the rock are welcome to stick to that as well) is the discussion of gender identities, gender issues, etc, if a group of guys wanted to set up a festival that involved something similar, I'd be the first to support it.

We're happy that people are supporting us, and that lots of people think it's a brilliant idea, but you don't have to agree. You and Kevin Myers can spend that weekend picking your scabs.

Thanks, honey, and I take my coffee strong, hot, black and bitter. Like my heart.

Kisses,
Jane

PS: I'm done now.

PPS: Please note that my rant is my own opinion, and not necessarily that of the other ladyfesters.

egg_ said:
If you're trying to show the guy the error of his ways, dude, that's probably not the most effective way of going about it ...
Ah, I know. But to be honest, if a group of men set up a Manfest, something that involved dealing with gender issues and identities, and issues men face in the 21st century, then I actually think it would be a brilliant thing. You boys need to talk some shit out. If what 'gender roles' are is to be redefined, then it can't just be about women, and if a load of indie and punk boys did something like get together and talk about what masculinity is, the crushing sense of inadequacy many men feel, body image, parenting, nutrition, the 'yob' culture and its effects, then hell, that'd be pretty damn revolutionary. And I don't think any women I know would stand up and say, "Men can't talk about that stuff without us! We want IN!"

In fairness, the whole gender identity thing matters in varying degrees among all of us. We're all in it for different reasons. But there is a sense of redefining our roles in some way. It might matter to me more than someone else, but it's still an issue, and it is one part of what will happen at Ladyfest.

Anyway, what I mean is: in the same way that this hypothetical 'manfest' would be about men and not about not-women, Ladyfest is about women, and not about not-men.

Does that make sense?

Again, my opinions are my own. Other Ladyfesters might respond differently.

jane said:
if a group of men set up a Manfest
if a group of men set up a manfest it'd be called wrestlemania!

wwe.jpg

Muscle Beach said:
if a group of men set up a manfest it'd be called wrestlemania!

wwe.jpg

And I'm sure it would be a big success.

Arg! Anyway. OK, bands who want to play should get in touch. It's not just going to be a weekend of women sitting around trying to achieve simultaneous menstruation (though we hope to, of course), it's going to be fun. Emphasis on the fun.

Personally, I'd prefer to see people take what they want out of Ladyfest. I don't like when people push their politics on me, so I hope we don't do the same. If people leave Ladyfest thinking they saw a good band, I'll happy that we put on an event people could enjoy. If they leave with a sense of empowerment, or appreciation, or confidence that they might not have had before, then I'm happy that they got that out of it.

And if people see it as hotly controversial that a bunch of women might get together to organise a music/art/film festival, then....welll...they need to get out more. Not everyone has to like it, but we think it's going to be great fun.

No, it's be called Laddyfest, and there'd be a whole plethora of man-related events, including, but not limited to, farting, belching, testicle/anus scratching, and, of course, golf. Not that these are strictly activities of a purely masculine nature, some women have been known to partake on occasion in the odd scrotum-worrying incident, but a large scale festival of such a nature should only ever be taken on by a group of like-minded men, who can truly maximise the potential for collective body odour and jockey itch.

jane said:
Bows head. For shame.

See, I don't even think that's sexist. Just dumb. And they might have considered proofreading the ad. Possibly. Like, maybe. If they'd gotten around to it. Or something.
i like the bit that says "you get to meet Tantric"
he sounds like some sort of demi-god. maybe a villain from mortal kombat.
what would Tantric look like? he' probably have eight cocks! :)

lmd64 said:
No, it's be called Laddyfest, and there'd be a whole plethora of man-related events, including, but not limited to, farting, belching, testicle/anus scratching, and, of course, golf. Not that these are strictly activities of a purely masculine nature, some women have been known to partake on occasion in the odd scrotum-worrying incident, but a large scale festival of such a nature should only ever be taken on by a group of like-minded men, who can truly maximise the potential for collective body odour and jockey itch.
Actually, Laddiefest was suggested to me just this morning.

Hmm....wait a minute...I've an idea for a fundraiser now...

Belching contest, anyone?

Stinkfest 2004, here we come!

jane said:
Actually, Laddiefest was suggested to me just this morning.

Hmm....wait a minute...I've an idea for a fundraiser now...

Belching contest, anyone?

Stinkfest 2004, here we come!
hey Laddiefest was my idea!

the highlight would be a live scoring of the movie Over the Top

24.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back