Kimya Dawson - THIS FRIDAY! (1 Viewer)

ha!

they're in Belfast tonight, yeah.

tom. said:
is she doing a belfast gig?

if she is, i hope she does that happy song that went "come on down, we're having a parade!"

kimya - closet loyalist. no wonder she had all those u.v.f. tattoos

There wasn't a hard indie veneer left in the place by the time Kimya got to about her second tune. Strand of Oaks were not only deadly, they were as lovely as Kimya! I asked them if we could keep them all, but I guess that would be selfish.

And Neosupervital gets more entertaining every time I see him. He should definitely have the Robert Palmer ladies behind him. I'd volunteer myself, but I'd need to lose about a stone and get some cheekbone implants.

Thanks to everyone who came down and helped to make it an awesome night for all of us!

jane said:
There wasn't a hard indie veneer left in the place by the time Kimya got to about her second tune. Strand of Oaks were not only deadly, they were as lovely as Kimya! I asked them if we could keep them all, but I guess that would be selfish.

And Neosupervital gets more entertaining every time I see him. He should definitely have the Robert Palmer ladies behind him. I'd volunteer myself, but I'd need to lose about a stone and get some cheekbone implants.

Thanks to everyone who came down and helped to make it an awesome night for all of us!

i had such a nice time. you all looked lovely too.

i could feel my indie veneer melting away.

http://live.vodafone.com/!-i08LhoBm8ogab

Can't access it from a desktop

Here's the text:

With near incessant chatter about male genitalia, streakers, and dirty old men, New York anti-folk singer Kimya Dawson tore through a 'verbal marathon' of a set at the Lower Deck on Friday night. In a far more endearingly shambolic gig that the one put on by fellow former Moldy Peach Adam Green in Whelan's just under a month ago, Dawson picked and plucked songs from her growing back catalogue and latest album 'Hidden Vagenda'before treating the attentive masses to a dodgy enore of karaoke classics, including Tina Turner's private dancer.

Dogged by demons in the microphone and guitar amp, a shy Dawson battled her way through the set before taking on the challenge of asking for requests from her back catalogue. With tracks piled either with humour or with sad tales of neglect and depresssion, a smiling and giggling Dawson struggled to perform on the latter due to the overwhelmingly jovial atmosphere throughout the gig. By the end the initially sheepish Dawson had shed her nerves and launched into an acapella karaoke set of eighites classics that melted even the strongest reservations of the most po-faced indie kids in attendance.

I don't think there were any - the crowd was really reverential and quiet in a way I haven't encountered in a long time but no one was PO faced as such. I didn't recognise most faces either which is good, means we obviously did manage to get the word out there, beyond the world of thumped. Which was nice.

Latex lizzie said:
who were the po faced indie kids? whats a po anyway? I want names ....

lady lucan said:
strands of oak were highlight.
loved the quiet intensity thing they had going on.
more of that.
ep i bought of theirs doesnt even half replicate what they acheive live.
look forward to their album in next few months.

I like the EP loads, but it's pretty different to the live thing... although I got the impression that he didn't expect that much crunch of the amp but just went with it... which is kinda cool...

the free CD they gave away is good too, track 3 by the Clemintines is home-fi smashed up beach boys fuzz pop heaven, haven't been hit upside by a track like that in yonkers...

the clementines is the best song on that disc..

cant get the image of singing clemintines doing the backing vocals out of my head though.
check out 1.23min on speak and spell song and try telling me thats not to the tune of three blind mice.

there wasnt much talking when kimya was on..
her performance needed quiet and she got it..
apart from that one time (at band camp) when one of the three really drunk lads at the back answered his mobile 'HOWYEZ'
that was rather loud over the shy kimya's vocals and geetar.

HI VINNIE WHERE YOU AT??
Ah yes, that was funny. His mates were morto
lady lucan said:
the clementines is the best song on that disc..

cant get the image of singing clemintines doing the backing vocals out of my head though.
check out 1.23min on speak and spell song and try telling me thats not to the tune of three blind mice.

there wasnt much talking when kimya was on..
her performance needed quiet and she got it..
apart from that one time (at band camp) when one of the three really drunk lads at the back answered his mobile 'HOWYEZ'
that was rather loud over the shy kimya's vocals and geetar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back