Juggling Juggulars coming in April (4 Viewers)

to go through this for the last time, the gig in bohs is costed on the basis of adding up cost of gig, then adding up number of people a) can fit into the venue and b) are likely to go to a gig on the northside, from this a price was worked out so as to make it possible to put on the gig- ie to provide an opportunity for jugguling jugulars to play in dublin which wouldnt have happened otherwise - fares from finland are expensive and unliek mdc are not comign to ireland off a uk tour.

it is my opinion that people will be willing to pay ten euro to see bands who otherwise wouldnt get to play in ireland, in partiocular in a small, non profit, non bouncer venue, ill state again i could be wrong - time will tell.

also to be fair a lot of gigs are more than 5-7, gigs in sligo have been ten for a long time, knocking boots gigs are normally ten, outside of the punk genre the likes of ballrooms etc are normally around ten, just for some reason this gig in bohs is judged to be comment worthy, mdc in whelans was 13 even though that venue can take a few hundred.

i reckon this'll be a good gig,
its a pity that theres the RAG benefit and a moshspace gig,so 3 DIY gigs on the same night.
but i reckon it'l be grand as each gig will draw a different crowd.
personally i have a feeling i'll stupidly end up at all of 'em as i wanna see 'truck' in lwr deck , then 'stay rad' in dorans and then end up in bohs fer the jugular!

fuck, gonna be skint.

but yeah, i think 10 yips is ok for a gig, it is pretty unfortunate that gigs prices have stayed stubborn, but like some others said , people get contrary about paying. usually the same people who will argue about the price no matter wat.

i'm sure anyone puttin on a gig would love for it to be free//cheap in, like say the arrangement in sally's in galway where the bar pay the band, but unfortunately venues are money grubbin bastards who try to get as much outta people as possible and then stop lettin gigs happen at any sign of hassle.

compared to the blood and whiskey local bands paddys day gig, this is a bargain

jesus people are fuckin cheap, sorry but how many people here who are complaining about the price buy 20 smokes a day, or a couple of six packs a week, go to the pub and buy a rake of pints, get a takeaway or get fuckin taxis all the time? Its 10 fuckin euro, if you can't afford it maybe talk to conor/offer to do the door/shift gear whatever to get a quid or two off.

Its a DIY gig for christsakes, maybe there needs to be more gigs around the 9/10 euro price so people won't be so freaked out about trying to charge that much for a touring band, keeping the price too low and ending out of pocket themselves or even worse not bothering to put a band on at all because of it.

Agreed.Totally.

Fuck it, I'm gonna charge €7 for the Grinding Halt gig.I normally pay for food out of my own pocket for travelling bands and throw in a few quid of my own for the local bands (yeah folks, local bands need money too believe it or not), but I'm sick of being broke all the time as a result. I don't give a shit any more if people have a problem with it, these things cost money.

The same people who normally complain are the same people who normally have plenty of money to buy pints, or drink cans in front of the Lower Deck anyway.

well said jamie, stuff like food, paying local bands some money, throwing some beers into the van etc - all cost money

Another thing as well that I was thinking of this morning.I've in the past mailed people about asking bands/tours if they want to come over and a common excuse I've heard is "Sorry, it's too expensive". Ferries cost a bomb, and that's before petrol, van hire,etc so I can understand it but it really pisses me off when that gets given as an excuse.Throwing an extra quid on the door, if it means bands get paid more and lose less money might maybe go a fair way to annihilating that as an excuse. I don't think charging say €10 if there's two touring bands is,in that respect, too much to ask. We've all had this debate before and everyone's said "well maybe prices should go up". I think it's time promoters stop talking about it and start doing it. It seems like some venues are getting more expensive so it's inevitably going to happen anyway.

The key is, I think, to keep it reasonable.I wouldnt charge more than I'd be willing to pay myself. I wouldn't charge €7 or €8 in to see three Dublin bands like, but I'd be more than happy to pay that if there was bands from elsewhere in Ireland playing, or a foreign band.That extra money is going into petrol and food,it's not like they're gonna go and blow it on shite.

I really envy the set up in Galway where the bar pay the bands instead of the other way round.

Sorry to get slightly off track for a second, but if you're contacting foreign bands O2 have just re-introduced free international texts on their website's webtext.... might save a bit of cash for people instead of phonecalls.

jesus people are fuckin cheap, sorry but how many people here who are complaining about the price buy 20 smokes a day, or a couple of six packs a week, go to the pub and buy a rake of pints, get a takeaway or get fuckin taxis all the time? Its 10 fuckin euro, if you can't afford it maybe talk to conor/offer to do the door/shift gear whatever to get a quid or two off.

Its a DIY gig for christsakes, maybe there needs to be more gigs around the 9/10 euro price so people won't be so freaked out about trying to charge that much for a touring band, keeping the price too low and ending out of pocket themselves or even worse not bothering to put a band on at all because of it.

Agreed.Totally.

Fuck it, I'm gonna charge €7 for the Grinding Halt gig.I normally pay for food out of my own pocket for travelling bands and throw in a few quid of my own for the local bands (yeah folks, local bands need money too believe it or not), but I'm sick of being broke all the time as a result. I don't give a shit any more if people have a problem with it, these things cost money.

The same people who normally complain are the same people who normally have plenty of money to buy pints, or drink cans in front of the Lower Deck anyway.

WORD TO MA HOMIES.

The gig in the Lower Deck the other night was 7 euros, no-one moaned when I was on the door and it was 2 local bands and 2 from Cork. I think it should be 6 euros absolute minimum, 7 or 8 depending on costs necessary, and 9 or 10 if that's what's needed to pay the touring band. It's not a DIY network if it doesn't viably support those using it. No-one's even looking to get paid for chrissakes, just to break even!!

Ten euros for a touring band is fine. End of story. Whoever is moaning about this is either trying too hard to be d.i.y, doesn't understand the costs involved in putting on a gig or the costs involved in touring. Another point is that even if your on the dole 10 euros should be fine. Doleys get paid very well these days.

a tenner is nowt these days, fuck all, its like a fiver used to be, thats what a tenner is these days.
most of the people discussing this here I would imagine know the expenditures of doing a gig, so I don't know whats the issue.
I been charging 10 euor for sligo gigs for some time, it was a concious decision to make sure that everything was paid for, and before I was charging 8 euro, so 2 euor more is nowt, and you know what? I've been able to give bands good money out of it (and theyve had quality sound through a good pa, that costs 150 each gig).
also another factor for me charging that in sligo is that there isnt much of a 'scene' here really- its hard work getting people into the gigs - there is no ready made crowd, like you may get in bigger places, where you could be assured of great turnout & thus chareg less.
anyways, I havent got coolera house in sligo anymore - he's selling up - and I cant find anywhere else suitable - so its the end of gigs for the foreseeable future - round sligo way.
and the thing is- if you dont want to pay it - dont go to it - a tenner is fuck all these days, its like a fiver used to be, shit all.
and when I woork I only get 7 euros an hour, and I still wouldnt mind paying a tenner.

DRUMACANOO PUNX PICNIC, AT THE ROCK, CHURCHILL, LETTERKENNY, Co. DONEGAL, SAT/SUN JUNE 28/29.
go to www.poopromotions.com & www.myspace.com/therebelliousjukebox for lineup details etc
THIS EVENT COSTS 50 EUROS FOR WEEKEND TICKET INCLUDES CAMPING, CARPARK.
With over 60 bands/dj's to pay, along with security, fencing, marquee, pa's X2, band hospitality beers, cleanup (inc skip), posters/fliers/tickets, mobile floodlighting, portaloos, red cross ambulance, generators, fuel for generators, fire extinguisher hire, plus more shit I'm sure I have forgotten (or not even realised yet that we have to pay for), not to mention all the personal financing which we wont be getting back (such as I driven upp to LK twice so far, 200 mile round trip - should I claim my fuel expenses?? ha ha ha ), the people involved with this definately are not making any money - is that why any of us do this shit? I thought it was cos we had to do it, for an alternative to the shit weare expected to take, and that we just know no other way; this event costs 50 euros, cos at the end of it me & Mary & Oisin dont want to be tooooooo much in debt to fuckin SAM HIRe & Johnny Riley happy security boys.
Whilst here on this subject, we took into consideration that most people who may have bought a ticket to this event are in bands that are playing at the event, meaning that a possibly large part of the audience are band members, thus not paying - we have to get a paying audience from somewhere - it's not easy.
anyways, people want to complain about the cost of this fest - complain to me - I dont give a shit
cheers Jasper
Fair play Conor, sorry Excuses cant play, we're crap anyways, hopefully I'll get up to this gig myself (I will have to complain to fuckin ianrad eirran bout its expenseive trains - now that is a fuckin rip off)

I really envy the set up in Galway where the bar pay the bands instead of the other way round.

I'm actually trying to use that venue less and have more gigs with a door charge in different venues. People have gotten a little spoiled with free gigs here and when a pay in gig comes along a lot of people couldn't be arsed.

No-one's even looking to get paid for chrissakes, just to break even!!

WORD. Ill be putting on more gigs from now on, and have decided that 10 euros is a fair price for a touring band. People are moany cunts. And most people that moan about prices have never put on a gig.

if you think its too much dont go, if it really upsets you or you think im ripping people off in doing this gig or somehow undermining "the scene" then please come along and leaflet the gig - you'd be more than welcome, i'll put you on the guest list even.

I think in comparison to the MDC Gaway gig its a bit steep. Ive already made comparisons between that gig and this one with venue rental etc. We had people who wouldnt pay the door fee in Galway for that gig as they thought it was too pricey, but ye can just go and charge the same for your gig n Boh's Bar with hardly any overheads (bar a vocal pa, food & phone calls) no bother.

I dont think yer underming the scene or that yer ripping people off, just in comparison to the gig we just put on i think its steep.

very interesting debate all round and apologies if in parts im comin across as a rumpy old man, thats probably cause i am bit by bit becomin a grumpy old man:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Being a grumpy old man, fuck that!

1.jpg

The Coolera is finito?!:(

One of the greatest venues I've been in.Some of the greatest nights.....Subhumans stands out.Its a shay-a-aim.Well done Jasper for getting in going in the first place.RESPECT..|..|

And sure a 50 is the new score.Everyone knows that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back