John Butcher back + more (3 Viewers)

John Avant

Website
www.dotdotdotmusic.com
Some cool gigs happening in Cork next year for improv fans. And maybe in Dublin too. Anyone who saw John Butcher last June at lazybird ( or th Lobby in Cork) will know the score. Anyway, here's the deal...

DotDotDot curates

Strands '04
A 3 concert series featuring some of the most exciting musicians
currently playing on the UK jazz / improvised music scene.

@ TRISKEL ARTS CENTRE, TOBIN ST, CORK PHONE- 4272022

STRAND 1:
JOHN BUTCHER - Saxophone
Sat. 28th Jan.
Tickets: 10 euro Doors: 9pm

...ranges through free improvisation, various structurings, his own
compositions, multi-tracked pieces, work with pre-recorded tape, and also
live electronics.

“John Butcher is currently the most radical saxophone experimenter on the planet.”
JAZZ-KVADRAT

“Makes his saxophone talk, sing, cry, whisper and laugh. Complicated and accessible. One of the central figures in Europe’s avant-garde music scene.”
SAN FRANCISCO BAY GUARDIAN

STRAND 2:
JOHN EDWARDS - Double-bass
Sat. 31st Feb.

Since 1995 John Edwards has become a "mainstay" of the London scene, playing with just about everybody, an activity that has seen him clocking up between 150 and 200 gigs a year. He has become regular player with Evan Parker, in many groupings, and with Tony Bevan, Veryan Weston, and Elton Dean, often in collaboration with Mark Sanders on percussion. He has become a more frequent player on the European (and festival) scene, appearing at Taktlos, Ulrichsburg, Nickelsdorf, Budapest, New Zealand and in the USA.

“Riveting... keeps the listener thinking long after the music ends”
THE WIRE

STRAND 3:
CHRIS BURN - Piano/Percussion
Sat. 3rd April

Chris Burn has forged a unique style of piano playing by developing a multitude of alternative techniques, both on the keyboard and inside the instrument.
He is also known for his performances of the piano music of Henry Cowell, John Cage and other contemporary composers.
After University, Chris Burn worked as a composer, arranger, conductor and pianist in both contemporary dance and jazz. He gained a number of awards for his work and broadcast on local and national radio and television. In the 1970s he had participated in workshops on ‘intuitive music’ led by Robin Maconie, a one time assistant of Stockhausen but the 1980s saw a transition to free improvisation.
He performed in Derek Bailey’s Company in 1990. In 1993 Chris Burn was shortlisted for a Paul Hamlyn award for composers.

pagr said:
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRB!!!!!!
Glorious news indeed, brothers and sisters. P'raps Lazybird or Dennis&David or someone willl bring this lot to Dublin too... hint hint.

Here's a funny observation about Lazybird - the audences always seem to be the most appreciative of the most technically skilled musicians. e.g. Rodrigo y Gabriella, John Butcher, Count Tornado...

Case closed. I rest my case.

Keeror said:
Glorious news indeed, brothers and sisters. P'raps Lazybird or Dennis&David or someone willl bring this lot to Dublin too... hint hint.

Hiya Keeror - how's trix ? Would be grand to bring this guy back up to ours alright, by our standards and capacity we'd need a good turn-out to cover his fee (although he doesn't ask that much at all)...he was fkkin great last time.

>Here's a funny observation about Lazybird - the audences always seem to >be the most appreciative of the most technically skilled musicians. e.g. >Rodrigo y Gabriella, John Butcher,Count Tornado...
There's no other option BUT to appreciate him !!!!

billygannon said:
He supported the Ex on tour there recently.

Sounds good to me.

The dates I sent were wrong - John Butcher plays Triskel Arts Centre on the 31st Jan and John Edwards on the 28th Feb.
Anyway, John Butcher toured with the Ex around Europe this year, as support. He also has played with the expanded Ex Orkest. And plays improv with Andy Moor.

hey how available is the dotdotdot 1 min songs comp? strange to see one of my old tutors/lecturers has a piece on it!

also - would you have a postal address for paul (ok this might not be his name) from chokchoi 3k battery? i was talking to him at the ex and told him i'd post him some stuff for trades but duhh forgot to get an address - he says he doesn't have email or something..? the guitarist guy with long hair and glasses! i've met him loads of times can't belive i can't remember his name. anyway pm me if you can help me get stuff to him.

andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back