Joanna Newsom plays The Grand Canal Theatre in 2010 (1 Viewer)

I thought it was only okay, I enjoyed it but there was just something slightly not quite there for me. What was really apparent to me when they played the MEM stuff was that there used to be a jauntiness and a joyousness in her tunes, which as her compositions have become more and more complex and elaborate, she's lost a bit from her songwriting. New stuff is impeccably arranged and when she really gets it right it's totally wonderful but for the most part it's music that makes me think about it whereas her older tunes I could also enjoy on a far more visceral and immedaite level.

This sums it up for me too. Great gig. But, having listened to the new album a lot, it just doesn't grab me to the extent that Ys did (and Milk Eyed). I thought I just hadn't given it enough time, but I think it's more that it just doesn't have the same number of melodic or emotional hooks to draw you into all the songs.

It was still super but I didn't come out of it on a high like I did from the Olympia gig. Still can't wait to hear what she does next though.

i was at the front of the circle and the sound was fine for roy harper but a bit ropey for JN, sometimes i couldnt hear the fiddles at all and at other times they were too low, could barely hear the trombone and the drums sounded like they were miles away from the rest of the band. i left after four or five songs (she wasnt my cup of tea) so maybe it got better. nice plush venue though, i hadnt been there before.

roy harper was great, the guitar playing was a bit scrappy at times but the voice was in fine form i thought. and dont be ridiculous worthit, he was in great form.

Hey, i was in Row D. You couldn't see the twitches. He seemed like a nice guy, the songs were grand but I wouldn't rush out to buy an album.

Up the back we had little speakers in the ceiling, which was nice.

Anyone else think that the people in the restaurant that Joanna overheard slagging off the last gig were winding her up? It's be a hilarious thing to do, but she spoiled it a bit when she sneaked off before they could say "HAHA! GOTCHA!!!"

very enjoyable stuff, I've not listen to much J-NuSom since the first record. But I enjoyed the gig lots, very long songs, and very flowly sort of stuff, I don't think I could hum a tune from any of them, but it was a great performace. Amazing drummer too, bought his solo album on the way out.

I was disapointed by the sound though, I was on the far left of the balcony and could only hear the left column speakers.. so was getting a 'mono' sort of experience.. it was distracting and something I've not come across...

They played Televeision and VU during the break and both sounded 'wrong', I'd know those songs well and they were sibilent and honky in the lower mids (from my seat anyhow)

Someone said they need front fill in speakers, and it's true, and array along the top of the stage would have spread the sound more, also when 'everyone' one stage was singing and playing all at once it mushed out in the mids a lot.. the poor trambone guy was lost.. guitars were pretty missing where I was too

shame considering the GCT prides itself on great sound, possibly works for Chitty Chitty Band and a full orchestra, but they need to sort out there PA for gigs

Drums sounded MASSIVE mind you...

I think they just have a very basic PA. The idea with the place is that touring theatre companies bring in their own PA. I don't know what this means for once off gigs like this. Obviously Joanna Newsom wouldn't be touring a PA and what they have was completely inadequate for last night. I'd say the promoter cheaped out by not renting in extra gear. It's a shame. At the front I wasn't within the speaker coverage area at all so anytime the drums or guitar amp took off everything else was drowned out completely.

If they don't get a decent sound system in for Belle and Sebastian I feel sorry for anyone in the middle of the first few rows. You'll hear nothing but drums and guitar. A friend just informed me that they've no speaker coverage in the upper balcony either.

I think they just have a very basic PA. The idea with the place is that touring theatre companies bring in their own PA. I don't know what this means for once off gigs like this. Obviously Joanna Newsom wouldn't be touring a PA and what they have was completely inadequate for last night. I'd say the promoter cheaped out by not renting in extra gear. It's a shame. At the front I wasn't within the speaker coverage area at all so anytime the drums or guitar amp took off everything else was drowned out completely.

I could have been sitting right beside you ... middle of row D too. I really noticed that with the drums too .. they drowned a lot of other stuff out all right. Guitar didn't happen that often so it wasn't as much of an issue. Anyway, I thought guitars were supposed to drown out everything else ...

If they don't get a decent sound system in for Belle and Sebastian I feel sorry for anyone in the middle of the first few rows. You'll hear nothing but drums and guitar. A friend just informed me that they've no speaker coverage in the upper balcony either.

Perhaps it is the natural acoustics of the hall, but I was in upper circle and have no complaints about the sound last night.

I'd have swapped Autumn & Kingfisher for Baby Birch and Go Long and would've liked to hear more stuff with just her solo (not hugely gone on the full band versions of the Milkeyed Mender songs) but can't complain otherwise, flawless performance from Joanna and the band were spot on. I missed Roy Harper - any good?.. Very impressed with the new venue also, except for the €6 pints.

Ditto everything there. The long songs that she played from her new album were the ones I probably like least (Autumn and Kingfisher) and would have really loved to have heard In California or Baby Birch. Other than that, fucking great performance. Fantastic venue. Great sound, almost too comfortable. Great band and arrangements too. Have One On Me and Easy were highlights, as was the encore Peach Plum Pear.

I emailed the technical engineer. He apologised and said that they have front fills but they face down into the knees of the people in the front row so they're useless. He said it was a mistake with the install and they're going to rectify it soon.

oh yeah, and Milk Eyed Mender on vinyl from merch too, result!

Not a result at all, stuck on my new vinyl tonight and it's warped as a banker's morals.
Damn it to hell, on the day my car died and all, I don't know which is worse..
Anyone got any tips for correcting said fault?

Mind you it's pretty far gone, probably been in a flight case since the first tour, almost a kink in the fucker.

One thing... The person who shouted "tell the hippy joke" - that strikes me as a bit lame, done as a way of proclaiming how into Joanna Newsom you are by implying that you remember the onstage banter at a gig over 3 years ago. And who wants to be told the same joke again, just because its Joanna Newsom telling it?

One thing... The person who shouted "tell the hippy joke" - that strikes me as a bit lame, done as a way of proclaiming how into Joanna Newsom you are by implying that you remember the onstage banter at a gig over 3 years ago. And who wants to be told the same joke again, just because its Joanna Newsom telling it?

or indeed someone pretending they were at that gig. That joke was mentioned in an article in The Ticket last friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back