Joanna Newsom plays The Grand Canal Theatre in 2010 (1 Viewer)

Great gig but why did they build such a fantastic theatre and not instal front fills as part of the PA. I was sitting in the middle of Row D and wasn't covered by the PA at all. Was just hearing reflections. Jeez!

Great gig but why did they build such a fantastic theatre and not instal front fills as part of the PA. I was sitting in the middle of Row D and wasn't covered by the PA at all. Was just hearing reflections. Jeez!

I don't really know what that means, but I was in middle of row M and thought the sound was fantastic. What are front fills?

Front fills are small speakers along the front of the stage that allow sound to directly reach the first 6 or 7 rows that are out of range of the speakers either side of the stage. The speakers point out into the audience so the people at the front are to the side of them. With a stage that wide they're essential. You'd be fine in Row M.

Supoib.

I was waaayyy up in the upper circle (late acquisition of ticket) but acoustics were excellent.

Peach, Plum, Pear for the encore was may-zin.

Couldn't believe she'd been on for over an hour and a half when it ended.

edit: oh yeah, and Milk Eyed Mender on vinyl from merch too, result!

Front fills are small speakers along the front of the stage that allow sound to directly reach the first 6 or 7 rows that are out of range of the speakers either side of the stage. The speakers point out into the audience so the people at the front are to the side of them. With a stage that wide they're essential. You'd be fine in Row M.

Ah, I see. Interesting. I tend to avoid the front rows if possible - maybe thats the reason why, and I never knew it! Middle is always best... like the cinema in a way.

Still though, really great performance, beautiful theatre and comfy seats!

Yeah I'd avoid it myself but my girlfriend booked them. I've been to see her before and sat in great spots so it was worth sacrificing a bit of sound to be right in front of her. It wasn't the best selection of songs but was a great gig nonetheless.

I'd have swapped Autumn & Kingfisher for Baby Birch and Go Long and would've liked to hear more stuff with just her solo (not hugely gone on the full band versions of the Milkeyed Mender songs) but can't complain otherwise, flawless performance from Joanna and the band were spot on. I missed Roy Harper - any good?.. Very impressed with the new venue also, except for the €6 pints.

I thought it was only okay, I enjoyed it but there was just something slightly not quite there for me. What was really apparent to me when they played the MEM stuff was that there used to be a jauntiness and a joyousness in her tunes, which as her compositions have become more and more complex and elaborate, she's lost a bit from her songwriting. New stuff is impeccably arranged and when she really gets it right it's totally wonderful but for the most part it's music that makes me think about it whereas her older tunes I could also enjoy on a far more visceral and immedaite level.

Wish they'd done Baby Birch too, that's probably my favourite bit of guitar playing of anything I've heard this year.

What was up with her appoligising for her voice cracking unintentionally at times. I'm pretty sure that no one would know one way or the other when it happened by accident or when she was doing it on purpose.

Also, god bless the man who asked that question I'm sure most people were asking themselves.

WHY DO YOU HAVE GLUE ON YOUR FINGERS?

I'm definitely not a Roy Harper fan. And he seemed about two seconds from having a breakdown the whole time.

What was really apparent to me when they played the MEM stuff was that there used to be a jauntiness and a joyousness in her tunes, which as her compositions have become more and more complex and elaborate, she's lost a bit from her songwriting. New stuff is impeccably arranged and when she really gets it right it's totally wonderful but for the most part it's music that makes me think about it whereas her older tunes I could also enjoy on a far more visceral and immedaite level.

Yeah I can see that point of view alright, I kind of miss the sparse folky wildness and direct emotional impact of the early songs (and it's why I didn't really like the rearranged versions which had been given the music conservatory classically-trained arranger once over) but I think the payoff with the long-form composerly stuff is just as big when they're done well.. Would like to see her try a return to the simple minimal arrangments and shorter-form songs at some point in the future though.

how have you got the songs from last night on your playlist already?

I thought it was fabulous from start to finish. I'd have preferred Emily or Only Skin from Ys, but happy enough with Monkey and Bear.

she made a couple of boo-boos with lyrics (such as in Soft as Chalk), but its the first gig in a while and I'm sure most didn't even notice.

The banter was great, as per the last time, and the sound was fine where I was (middle of row G). The guitar was too loud on Soft as Chalk. It drowned out the piano a little too much.

i was in row D too, it took a while to get used to the odd sound where you're getting a bit from the PA and a bit naturally. still, great gig.

I'm definitely not a Roy Harper fan. And he seemed about two seconds from having a breakdown the whole time.

I thought he was great. Certainly not a flawless performance but he was in good form and the songs were excellent. He did offer the disclaimer that he hadn't played for a while. An excellent support act yet again for Ms.Newsom.

i was at the front of the circle and the sound was fine for roy harper but a bit ropey for JN, sometimes i couldnt hear the fiddles at all and at other times they were too low, could barely hear the trombone and the drums sounded like they were miles away from the rest of the band. i left after four or five songs (she wasnt my cup of tea) so maybe it got better. nice plush venue though, i hadnt been there before.

roy harper was great, the guitar playing was a bit scrappy at times but the voice was in fine form i thought. and dont be ridiculous worthit, he was in great form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back