Jdiff 2014 (1 Viewer)

Dear Surprise Film attendee,

I am contacting you in advance of this years Surprise Film presentation, as I need your special assistance.

Each year, we contact International sales agents and distributors and ask for their help to bring the choicest title to Dublin for this very special screening - traditionally the 5pm slot in the Savoy Cinema. In the past, these films have always been Irish premieres, often European premieres and on rare occasions world premieres. This places a special onus & obligation on the festival as we are very aware of how important this 'first screening' will be in the future life of a particular title; and we need to honour the trust which has been placed in us by the sales agent or distributor.

For the very special film which we have been lucky enough to secure for this years festival, we especially need your help. We need to ensure that all attendees, press, commentators, bloggers or social networkers participating in this event are aware that reviews & reactions to the film are embargoed. Naturally we are reaching out to accredited media directly but we also wanted to reach out to you to ensure that everyone who may intend sharing a review (or a reaction) is made aware of this & of the need to sign an embargo form. Therefore we are appealing to anyone who has purchased or attained a ticket to the surprise screening on Sunday 23rd February - and who falls into this category - to please notify us by return email to this address - [email protected] and we shall provide you with an embargo form to sign and return to us pre screening.

I'm very excited about the film - I think its going to be a Surprise Film to cherish.

All help you can provide to me & JDIFF in this matter will help illustrate that the trust placed in us is well founded & will help ensure we shall continue to have the choicest possible range of options for this beloved slot in years to come.

Best wishes

Gráinne

Gráinne Humphreys
Festival Director

The location for this film has been erroneously listed in some places as Light House 2, the venue is actually Cineworld 8. The film will be shown at the same time and date, 20:45 on Tuesday February 18 in Cineworld

I'm reading this as a passive aggressive version of SOMEONE FUCKED UP AND I'M GOING TO KILL THEM

Surprise film thing: that's a load of me bollox. What are they going to do? Refuse to let you in unless you have signed the form? Unless that was stated on the conditions if purchase of the ticket then I don't think so ....

how was this in the end?

I may have fallen asleep instead of going, you'd swear i'm loaded the way i'm wasting money

Same exact feeling so far this year and I went to it last night! Everything has been crap. I've made very poor choices, granted last night I didn't actually pay for that one, which was visually stunning but not engaging. at least for me. The one film I was really looking forward to (Visitors) I fell asleep in last Saturday afternoon. Such a let down. Granted, I was so tired and these cinemas are like saunas! I couldn't wait to get home that evening after the bog body movie letdown. The other film I was looking forward to (Tracks) got canceled but it's coming out soon anyway. I really should have used the money for driving lessons. Or at least read the full blurbs on the films but I hate knowing too much, so it a gamble. I look at the film still, read the stars, directors, and the first two and last lines. This method is not serving me well at all this year.

Same exact feeling so far this year and I went to it last night! Everything has been crap. I've made very poor choices, granted last night I didn't actually pay for that one, which was visually stunning but not engaging. at least for me. The one film I was really looking forward to (Visitors) I fell asleep in last Saturday afternoon. Such a let down. Granted, I was so tired and these cinemas are like saunas! I couldn't wait to get home that evening after the bog body movie letdown. The other film I was looking forward to (Tracks) got canceled but it's coming out soon anyway. I really should have used the money for driving lessons. Or at least read the full blurbs on the films but I hate knowing too much, so it a gamble. I look at the film still, read the stars, directors, and the first two and last lines. This method is not serving me well at all this year.

Keep your Tracks ticket, they have rescheduled it for this weekend.

Anyone see Under The Skin last night? Have to say I found it quite disappointing. Visually striking, but quite a boring film.
The soundtrack/sound design was the best thing about if for me; absolutely brilliant.
Funnily enough it's made me curious to read the book.

Anyone see Under The Skin last night? Have to say I found it quite disappointing. Visually striking, but quite a boring film.
The soundtrack/sound design was the best thing about if for me; absolutely brilliant.

I saw it.

It was ScarJo's Only God Forgives

Thank God for the nudity

I have the book in my queue along with The Book Thief, which were bother showing. I figure I’ll read the books first. Plus, they were sold out. Glad to hear other people are finding things disappointing and it’s just not me. Where is the amazing Greek film and the saucy French one this year? Come on JDIFF.

I have the book in my queue along with The Book Thief, which were bother showing. I figure I’ll read the books first. Plus, they were sold out. Glad to hear other people are finding things disappointing and it’s just not me. Where is the amazing Greek film and the saucy French one this year? Come on JDIFF.
That's only the 2nd feature film I've seen in JDIFF so far tbh, but it was hugely disappointing for me. I've got The Double on Friday, which I'm looking forward to. Hope its not shit.

You take a risk with booking films in festivals; mostly I've not heard anything or hardly anything about the films in advance, so I'm taking a punt based on who the director/cinematographer/actor is etc..
Haven't heard about any standout films so far this year though. Mind you last year everyone was raving about The Raid; so you can't always trust peoples taste either!!
I also booked more films than I can actually get to see! Must try to get the balance right next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back