Jaysus cycling! (13 Viewers)

Every day I see some rando step out on to the road without looking to see if there's anything coming. Not just out in front me on the bike, but out on to a road completely oblivious/defiant of any oncoming traffic.

What the fuck is going on with this new widespread phenomenon? It's not people on phones either, it's people just walking out on to the road to take a route closest to 'as the crow flies' as possible but without even a glance to see if anything is coming.

And then, if there is a car or bike that has to jam on their brakes they just continue across the road, usually staring slightly up towards the sky, like a character in an 80s pop video.

Would very much like if drivers realised that at night cyclists also enjoy having the lights dimmed for them as we approach, cycling last night there was a number of times on a particularly narrow road where I wasn't sure if I was going to stay on the road or ride into the ditch.
jack_nicholson-186.jpg

#LIFEHACK

What the fuck is going on with this new widespread phenomenon? It's not people on phones either, it's people just walking out on to the road to take a route closest to 'as the crow flies' as possible but without even a glance to see if anything is coming.
Jaywalking/rambling out onto roads & streets without any regard for your own safety or those of drivers is a national sport.

I put some blame down to the unbelievably crap pedestrian light switching system. There are some lights around town that have never been configured properly where you end up standing like a fool looking at a red man when it's clear that you're free to walk across.

Just got off a call with a work colleague who just found out half an hour ago that her friend got killed on his bike by a drunk driver last night.*

2016 ffs

*USA, not Ireland.

But it is surely right up there in the top ten things to do to prevent yourself getting a head injury if you fall off your bike.

I empathise with Chris Boardman. I hurt my left shoulder cycling on Sunday and my helmet was useless preventing it ;)

Although I am still unsure how as I hurt it when I was stopped at a crossroads changing my bottles with the water bottle in the back of my jersey and then having to try to save the water bottle from falling when my grip with my right hand wasn't good enough.

Helmet wouldn't have helped me in that situation, although I was wearing one and I still got hurt.

Although when I crashed 2 years ago because of a dog running right at me, they protected me then.

Sooner or later I'll come off my bike, and so a helmet is a nice thing to have in those inevitable situations for me.

I've been out three times this last week..boy oh boy I forgot how much I love cycling.County Laois is fucking amazing for cycling in.

Banged out a nice 20k after lunch today to make room for a massive dinner and dessert after...which was also excellent!

Its way better crack than running..plus you can do it wearing jeans which suits me cos I'm not that into tracksuits and all that malarky

I think I may build it up to a cycle to Dublin for lunch over the summer

I need to pick up a spare tube and a pump to stick in the bag..it would be a major PITA having to push a punctured bike home from deepest Offaly or Kildare

Last edited:
I dropped the two bikes I have in to the shop at the weekend. A puncture each and a few minor fixes and adjustments required. Wish I had the skills or inclination to tackle these myself but I'm far too lazy for that. I agree with @GO ..cycling beats the hell out of running.

Get cycle specific breathable gear. Chain reaction would be the place to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back