Jaysus cycling! (8 Viewers)

Glad you weren't badly hurt.

If you aren't aware you need to get yourself a new helmet now, or rather get the person who hit you to pay for it when they're paying for the bike (unless you're going to sue, which in fairness you're entitled to). Those things are only rated for one solid hit.

Thanks guys!

Yeah she offered to pay for any repairs. Not gonna sue her, it was a genuine accident; it's not like i've never made mistakes on the road myself. BE the change you want to be in the world and all that, you know?

Thanks guys!

Yeah she offered to pay for any repairs. Not gonna sue her, it was a genuine accident; it's not like i've never made mistakes on the road myself. BE the change you want to be in the world and all that, you know?

I'd still write it up and get her to agree to whatever she said, before the people on her forum tell her to screw you over.

Hit by a car this morning! It seems the person just didn't see me and drove straight into me, I got sent flying. Thankfully they were just moving out from a standstill so were going very slow.

Guess what though? My helmet prevented me from getting a nasty head wound!

I'm alright although the bike will need a bit of repairing, they mainly hit the wheel.

I saw a chap coming down Philipsburgh Avenue being hit by a car pulling out on to the road at lunchtime, while I was heading over to the sorting office to pick up a parcel.

I'm fairly sure the cyclist, the driver and me standing on the path 10 yards away could all see what was going to happen about 5 seconds before the actual collision. He slowed down a bit but seemed sure she could see him, which I'm 99% certain she could as she seemed to pull out at normal speed, see him, and then just pull out slowly but not slowly enough that he could do anything about it. He was going downhill at a decent lick. He was in sheer disbelief but the few seconds bought him the time to minimise the impact and he wasn't sent flying.

If anyone has read this far, should I offer to be a witness or something in this situation? I just stood to make sure he hadn't wrecked his leg when it hit the car and then went on my way, rather than stand to watch him shout abuse at yer wan.

(Also, after a lifetime of never wearing a helmet, I'm totally wearing one now after these two incidents)

I saw a chap coming down Philipsburgh Avenue being hit by a car pulling out on to the road at lunchtime, while I was heading over to the sorting office to pick up a parcel.

I'm fairly sure the cyclist, the driver and me standing on the path 10 yards away could all see what was going to happen about 5 seconds before the actual collision. He slowed down a bit but seemed sure she could see him, which I'm 99% certain she could as she seemed to pull out at normal speed, see him, and then just pull out slowly but not slowly enough that he could do anything about it. He was going downhill at a decent lick. He was in sheer disbelief but the few seconds bought him the time to minimise the impact and he wasn't sent flying.

If anyone has read this far, should I offer to be a witness or something in this situation? I just stood to make sure he hadn't wrecked his leg when it hit the car and then went on my way, rather than stand to watch him shout abuse at yer wan.

(Also, after a lifetime of never wearing a helmet, I'm totally wearing one now after these two incidents)
fairly similar to my situation actually, it's always a bit dodgy with cars there but you usually give them an angry look and somehow believe that that transfers to the driver. There's been an odd near miss over the years there (about 6 years at this point) but, while it was happening, my main thoughts were of disbelief that they were actually ploughing me over!

Also after 31 years I kind of copped that oh yeah, it's the whole car hitting me, not just the front of it. if it had been a millisecond earlier it would have broken at least one of my legs.

How could you offer?

Call the Gards?

How could you offer?
Call the Gards?

I dunno.
If it went to court I would be a witness so I could give my details to the injured party (unless yer wan somehow blamed him)?

I just remember being on a bus years ago and the driver had to jam on which caused some bugger to fall over and the journey was delayed by about 20 minutes while they were being attended to and informing the driver they'd be making a claim. The driver came down the bus asking who'd be a witness. As no one else spoke up and I wanted to get the fuck where I was going I stood up and I said "yes" (name that tune) and gave my name, address, and phone number to the driver stating that I had witnessed what had happened.

Last edited:
Would they not contact me and ask me to give a statement to the Gards? Or, like, I could've hung on until the Gardaí came if yer man had wanted to go down that road (pun firmly intended).
How would they contact you?

you said you looked at the guy's leg and walked on

How do they know who you are?

How would they contact you?

you said you looked at the guy's leg and walked on

How do they know who you are?

Ah, 7-NT, please accept my apologies, I was asking in general terms, I meant "this kind of situation", as opposed to this particular situation which happened to today.

I was asking if I shoud've offered to give my details as a witness. so I know for future reference.

I was asking if I shoud've offered to give my details as a witness. so I know for future reference.

I think the answer to this is, if you were the cyclist involved in an accident, what would you want people to do on your behalf?

I have stopped and given my details on several occasions. I was only contacted/called to appear in court once.

If it was me in the accident I'd hope at least someone would have the good grace to have my back.

ugh the pains this morning :(
Sorry to hear about your knock!
Dont just replace the wheel though,get a bike place to look it over,Carbon forks etc can crack and you sure as fuck dont want something snapping on you when you're
on it.You can also report it to the guards,they'll ask if you want to press dangerous driving charges or whatever,you can just decline,but the guard will have it on file if there's a dispute,just to save anyone turning around and saying "what accident" a week or two later

Ah it's grand. It's a good, solid metal bike. None of that carbon, lightweight pretend material for me! I'll be getting a bike shop to look it over for sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back