Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

I never minded the cold so much (though the coldest I've cycled in is -9, 2 years ago), but I'd always be worried about coming off in black ice. I came down hard last winter on one of the less extreme cold days.

anyway, this morning was shit too. 3 days back at work and at least 1 soaking per day so far.

Wind was great this morning. It was at my back the whole way. New record time getting into work. Woohoo me!!

Tuesday on my way home I hit the strongest gust I have ever hit. I have been cycling my whole life, daily for the last 12 years straight and this was the strongest and longest gust I have ever encountered. Luckily it was head on, but it lasted about 5-10 seconds and it was what has to be described as hurricane force. I actually had time to worry that Finglas' first tornado was about to drop down on top of me. Add in the driving sleet and the attendant blindness, it was something else.

Third day back in work and i bottled it twice on the cycling cause of the wind and laziness created by father xmas. Got drenched yesterday on the way home but the wind was on my back so fun times where had.

After another shouting match this morning on my way in, I have decided to change my tactics when dealing with the public. This morning's disagreement was over the fact that I had inched over the line in which cars are supposed to stop at a crosswalk- you know, that line about 10 feet short of the crosswalk itself. I repeat, I was 10 feet away from the crosswalk and 15 feet away from the pedo(strian) that I had words with.

I am going to start treating these people like bold pre-adolescents or kids of people I don't like and beat them with my witty remarks and other such entertaining quips. When your woman asked me if I was blind there would have been much funnier and more entertaining answers than the expletive laden rant I responded with. Really what I want to do is re-claim the moral high ground when dealing with these cabbages and stop looking like the aggro-magnet I always appear to be in these situations.

I wouldn't waste my time with people like that. I had a similar encounter once upon a time but it was during one of my mellower phases. I just laughed it off.

Encounters with other punters is sometimes a necessary evil but I only permit them up the food chain, so to speak. So as a rule I'd never say anything to anyone on a bike or to a pedestrian. To cars and the like, I only get involved now if I feel they need educating, and that usually takes the form of an evil stare. For example, this morning coming in along the canal this punter in a jeep wanted to get up the left cos he was turning left. There was a left turning lane up ahead but he didn't have a clear path to make it up to it. So, he decided he'd drive half on the footpath. I just stopped dead in front of him, making him have to stay on the path longer than I'm sure he would have liked. Then I cycled on when the lights turned green. It was a kind of bitter-sweet victory without any harsh words uttered.

Yeah, I know you're right, but 5 years of being a courier makes it very hard to keep my mouth shut in these situations. At the very least I am going to try to stop looking like a total scumbag when dealing with thicks.

So glad I'm not a courier any more and don't have to constantly deal with these pricks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back