Jaysus cycling! (4 Viewers)

hi, ive been riding a set of mavic aksium wheels for a few months and after the irish winter the back wheel needs new bearings (making a creak noise when pressure put through right pedal)...just wondering if anyone knows a ballpark cost for this?

Just spent €190 replacing other bits and money be tight and bike shops seem to be crap at estimates :)

hey.
So, creaking doesn't actually mean the bearing is knackered. I usually ignore it, but I am a bit lazy.

If its driving you nuts, or there is actual roughness or lateral movement then you should be able to just push the bearing out of the housing, check that number stamped on the side off the outside roller thing and buy a replacement.

There are only a few companies in the world that make those roller bearings, many manufacturers will buy their rollers of the same company. FAG for instance are good bearing makers. See if there is a brand name, and get that if possible, else get FAG or SKF.

Sometimes the bearings are drifted into the hub, and you have to drift them out. If its not coming out with a couple of concerted pushes then you might want to send it off to get sorted, but I personally have never had problems getting pressed bearings out of hubs (I never swapped out mavic aksiums, but i would be surprised if they are that different.)

I had to push out very hard pressed bearings on my motorbike when I was swapping the front end. The trick is, if you are brave enough, is finding a tube or a bar that is the right size, putting it behind the bearing, and tapping it free.

One thing that is important is that you buy a bearing with precisely the same sizes all around, outside, inside. It might go in perfectly, fit the axle perfectly the bearing might not be able to be pressed back out in the future. Just check before you press basically.

anyone know which bike shop is quickest/cheapest for truing wheels. think some knob must of fallen on it at a party over the weekend and hate going without my bike for any length of time.

Unless you have Mavic Ksyriums I wouldn't be too worried about who trues my wheels. I normally do it myself on my shitty wheels, but I would trust any local bikeshop.
I think we used to charge between 10 and 20 depending on how knackered the wheels were.
Sometimes you have to take the tyre off, and actually straighten the rim with a hammer, replace spokes, unsieze nipples and so on.
For just a quick true up it was normally around the tenner mark.

That was a while ago though.

speaking of whicj.... oooooh baby.
mavic-ksyrium-es-wheel-set.jpg

There needs to be a cycling horn thread.

Unless you have Mavic Ksyriums I wouldn't be too worried about who trues my wheels. I normally do it myself on my shitty wheels, but I would trust any local bikeshop.
I think we used to charge between 10 and 20 depending on how knackered the wheels were.
Sometimes you have to take the tyre off, and actually straighten the rim with a hammer, replace spokes, unsieze nipples and so on.
For just a quick true up it was normally around the tenner mark.

That was a while ago though.

Ah it's a mavic openpro. I was more concerned about getting it back quickly, some of them are soo bloody slow.

thanks anyhoo.

Did a nice 10km cycle on me mountain bike this evening with 7km of those being uphill. The 3km solid downhill was the most fun.

Been a while, really nice to get back in the saddle and not be dead after.

hey.
So, creaking doesn't actually mean the bearing is knackered. I usually ignore it, but I am a bit lazy.

If its driving you nuts, or there is actual roughness or lateral movement then you should be able to just push the bearing out of the housing, check that number stamped on the side off the outside roller thing and buy a replacement.

There are only a few companies in the world that make those roller bearings, many manufacturers will buy their rollers of the same company. FAG for instance are good bearing makers. See if there is a brand name, and get that if possible, else get FAG or SKF.

Sometimes the bearings are drifted into the hub, and you have to drift them out. If its not coming out with a couple of concerted pushes then you might want to send it off to get sorted, but I personally have never had problems getting pressed bearings out of hubs (I never swapped out mavic aksiums, but i would be surprised if they are that different.)

I had to push out very hard pressed bearings on my motorbike when I was swapping the front end. The trick is, if you are brave enough, is finding a tube or a bar that is the right size, putting it behind the bearing, and tapping it free.

One thing that is important is that you buy a bearing with precisely the same sizes all around, outside, inside. It might go in perfectly, fit the axle perfectly the bearing might not be able to be pressed back out in the future. Just check before you press basically.

Hey thanks, sorry hadn't checked back in a few days, the weather is too nice :)

Ill give this a go

finally on my rothar again and loving it,just needs a few fixes and it'll be a demon again,excellent :)

deadly buzz

I can't recommend getting into a shouting match with a taxi driver highly enough

its a very therapeutic experience. I had one yesterday. Bastard was behind me in the bus lane (where I was meant to be cos there was no cycle lane there) and started blowing me out of it when he couldn't get past. So naturally, not wanting to be a nuisance I slowed down as much as I could. Then eventually pulled up alongside him and said shouting match ensued. Its the most fun a girl can have on a bike.

Speaking of girls having fun on the bike...
I told yis the story about the taxi driver that drove into me in Bray, and leveled me on the ground, and then a motorbike courier pulled up, asked if I was alright, and tore off after your man and fucking kicked the living shit out of the taxi with his manly biker boots. Then he spun back with a cheeky grin and informed me about this.

Didn't I?
Le swoon.

Speaking of girls having fun on the bike...
I told yis the story about the taxi driver that drove into me in Bray, and leveled me on the ground, and then a motorbike courier pulled up, asked if I was alright, and tore off after your man and fucking kicked the living shit out of the taxi with his manly biker boots. Then he spun back with a cheeky grin and informed me about this.

Didn't I?
Le swoon.

don't think so.

but even if you did, it was worth the retelling

nice wan

except I normally hate lads on motorbikes. Ones in cycle lanes in anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back