Jaysus cycling! (4 Viewers)

they're basically for aul wans and solicitors.
They will have 30psi tyres, the turning circle of the Exon Valdez, and the braking capabilities of a moderate breeze in your face.

If you ever exceed 25 mph the bike will leave a big streak of flame behind it and you will jump to some other point in time.

But they will be better than nothing. I just hope they dont have to wash granny entrails off them and pull the frames out from the wheel arches of artics.

As soon as I get a chance I'm going to rock up there, with a track pump and my Sidi Genius shoes on, hand the maintenance dude a set of look pedals, and demand prompt service.

they're basically for aul wans and solicitors.
They will have 30psi tyres, the turning circle of the Exon Valdez, and the braking capabilities of a moderate breeze in your face.

That's pretty much what the one I had a rather brief ride on in Paris felt like. Low pressure tyres meaning lots of work to actually get anywhere.

I was hoping the stations might extend out into the suburbs like in Paris so that the bikes could be used to get home on. They would be handy for those occasional dont have my bike with me and just missed the last bus scenarios... Still, they may occasionally be useful and €10 per year is not bad - its €30 in Paris, albeit for a much larger network.

there's a 'cycle to work' expo in work today - three bike shops in with their wares. i didn't realise how good the deal was - the shops are offering a 20% discount of their own on top of the government end, so you could get a €1000 bike for less than €430.

i got a bike.

mainly for getting round but also for fun and hopefully losing some of the bits that jiggle when i run down the stairs.
so....
what's better, work-out wise -

five 30 min cycles a week.
or
two/three 1hr+ cycles a week
?

both are good.

5*30 mins would probably be slightly better though. Doing less more often means your body isn't pushed all that hard, but hard enough to make it need to recover. When your body gets used to recovering from frequent exercise then you're in good shape.

Also, getting in a cardio workout more often is better, even if the time is shorter.

get yourself a heart rate monitor while you're at it. They bring a whole other dimension to cycling. It makes it all very intriguing.

i would say mix them. Do your short spins some weeks, and long the other.

Pulse monitors are interesting at the start, but fairly quickly, say after a year or so you don't need them any more because you know your pulse at all times. And then other people can see how hard you are / aren't working.
After a while you just need to wear it once every week or so to make sure you are calibrated properly but when I was riding I would know my pulse within probably 3 or 4 bpm when I am aerobic, its a bit more tricky when you are anaerobic (>~165bpm) but you would still know fairly accurately.

Bockety is one of my favourite words.

Back on the bike myself today.Wasn't as bad as I was expecting after a year of car everywhere.8 mile round trip to work.Lashed there in 20 mins this morning but struggled a bit on the return(but I had being digging all day).

I wonder how long it'll take to lose the belly?

so my new bike arrived today. When I took it from the box to build it I noticed teh front wheel had a slight buckle.

No obvious marks on the box from bangs/drops...

is this regular? can it be a spoke jobby or do I need to send it back to the shop?

thanks..

yay new bike yay

How slight is it?
The way the front wheels are strapped onto the bikes it can happen easy enough. If you send it back you possibly would have to pay postage? It may be cheaper to get it "fixed"

How slight is it?
The way the front wheels are strapped onto the bikes it can happen easy enough. If you send it back you possibly would have to pay postage? It may be cheaper to get it "fixed"

I'm not sure what how slight is slight if you know what I mean. It's noticeable but wouldn't affect the cycle....but I didn't pay £700 for a buckle.

I'm not sure what how slight is slight if you know what I mean. It's noticeable but wouldn't affect the cycle....but I didn't pay £700 for a buckle.

sounds like a bit of spoke tweaking will do the job.

theres always an associated risk transporting a bike. Whether getting one sent or bringing one away yourself on a plane or whatever. I'd imagine somewhere in the small print you'll find that whoever sent it are covered, whether by some disclaimer or by the fact of the manufacturer's warranty only covering the frame.

Pay the tenner. Get some to tweak the spokes. Even do a cursory check yourself to make sure none are loose. But to tighten them you'd need that spoke tool. I'd be inclined to let the experts do it though.

sounds like a bit of spoke tweaking will do the job.

theres always an associated risk transporting a bike. Whether getting one sent or bringing one away yourself on a plane or whatever. I'd imagine somewhere in the small print you'll find that whoever sent it are covered, whether by some disclaimer or by the fact of the manufacturer's warranty only covering the frame.

Pay the tenner. Get some to tweak the spokes. Even do a cursory check yourself to make sure none are loose. But to tighten them you'd need that spoke tool. I'd be inclined to let the experts do it though.

cheers boss

I need a bike. Not pushed on whether mountain or racer. Recommendations on where to pick one up in Dublin 2 area? (Not stolen etc..)

Thanks!

hi, ive been riding a set of mavic aksium wheels for a few months and after the irish winter the back wheel needs new bearings (making a creak noise when pressure put through right pedal)...just wondering if anyone knows a ballpark cost for this?

Just spent €190 replacing other bits and money be tight and bike shops seem to be crap at estimates :)

hi, ive been riding a set of mavic aksium wheels for a few months and after the irish winter the back wheel needs new bearings (making a creak noise when pressure put through right pedal)...just wondering if anyone knows a ballpark cost for this?

Just spent €190 replacing other bits and money be tight and bike shops seem to be crap at estimates :)

flashback would be a better man for commenting on this.

In my experience though it all depended on what they needed to do. Sometimes they could simply service the hub (which essentially meant shooting shitloads of grease into the bearings). That often did the job. Worse than that and it was new wheel time.

After a few months though, a service might do the job.

As regards replacing bearings/the hub - I'm sure it can be done. Not sure whats involved or how much. If its just a service it'd only be a couple of quid.

clampers ploughed into me today. then ran over part of my bike after i confronted them. formal complaint made.

national bike week and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back