Jaysus cycling! (5 Viewers)

Ah, for Jaysis sake, it's always mental in town.
Pedestrians never pay attention to lights and cars crowd yellow boxes and switch lanes without warning. And every other fucking thing you have to deal with. I ride as the environment demands.
Generalizations of others behaviour are always so great for justifying any behaviour...
It's not about the red light, it's about how you go about it. If there are lots of people crossing, just wait for them if they have the green light. Someone running in that bunch of people, or a granny that gets a heart attack at the sight of anything surprising. Or a kid that runs amok from parents = BAM. Sometimes it's cool to be considerate and a bit noble on the roadz people

Generalizations of others behaviour are always so great for justifying any behaviour...
It's not about the red light, it's about how you go about it. If there are lots of people crossing, just wait for them if they have the green light. Someone running in that bunch of people, or a granny that gets a heart attack at the sight of anything surprising. Or a kid that runs amok from parents = BAM. Sometimes it's cool to be considerate and a bit noble on the roadz people

Agreed! always try to be nice to pedestrians especially old people, although I loathe those prams of death that just appear out of no where. mothers chatting on their phone offering their toddlers up to the god's of traffic. I treat the hound much more carefully when near any main traffic arteries would never let him out ahead of me into moving traffic....madness!

However when trucks and busses are around I always get in front of them... so many cyclists risk life and limb sticking to the bike lanes nearly getting mashed into the kerb every couple of yards eek.
I'm completely incapable of hopping kerbs so prefer it out in the middle of traffic inconveniencing busses and trucks in plain sight.

OK, y’all heard him, it’s a street race.

Summerhill to George’s st. and back.
Once stopping at all the lights, once ignoring them. IT’S ON!

I’m off to put flame decals on my bike.

hmm, i'd watch that again. i just started driving, hate the idea of someone cycling like that around me....

I'm actually wondering if I'll become a real nervous cyclist once I start driving properly... watching a lot of other cyclists escaping the claws of death by fractions of centimeters and being completely unaware of this fact, cheerfully switching across two lanes of traffic with never a backward glance. :eek:

from one of the 'have your say' bits at the end of the article:

After reading alot of the more recent complaints, what about the facts, truck drivers make mistakes, as do car drivers, van drivers, AND CYCLISTS. Truck drivers have it brained into them about blind spots and cyclists, but in a busy city / town that doesnt mean that a cyclist cannot sneak up the inside of them without being seen...how many cyclists understand how much room a truck needs to manouvre, how a trailer on an articulated truck cuts in on a slight curve of a road, never mind a tight bend? Many car drivers dont appreciate this so how can we expect cyclists to? Perhaps as roads are getting busier compulsary tests for cyclists, incorperating safety awareness could be considered? Much of what has been discussed in the above topic could be illiminated if cyclists were made to be more aware of any large vehicle, not just HGVs.
Mark, Kings Lynn, Norfolk

i taught my first cycle-safety class today. boy did those kids not want to listen.

"mistaw, can yew pull wheelies?"

seriously though, should we all learn about bike safety? if there were more cyclists and less cars on the streets would there be loads of really bad cyclists crashing into eachother?

ps. "A shortage in the number of traffic police also increased the "boldness" of some drivers who drove above the speed limit."

There's no shame in not being able to do wheelies Dunchee.

tell robbie that

_40406831_mcewen.jpg

That mandatory use thing is a fucking joke.
I didnt know that was law.

Does Dublin have a monthly Critical Mass ride?
in america land of the free they will round you up and arrest you for riding on these things.

How they define riding on them is questionable, it basically means having a bike in the vicinity. The thing is, if you dont know where you are not meant to be, and you have a bike, they can just arrest you.

Amazing country.

the cycle lane from booterstown via merrion gates up to st vincents is appalling. the road had been dug up yet again, but when relaid it seems they made no effort to steamroll it, so there's a good 1k stretch that's as bumpy as hell and over the past few months has damaged my bike no end, i reckon. had to get three broken spokes replaces this weekend as a result.

who's responsible for road maintenance there? the council or whoever did the digging?

They've finally resurfaced the road now but there's no bicycle lane. Worse more they've pitted the gutters leaving even less room at the side of the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back