jaguar vs. jazzmaster (2 Viewers)

i have shovels for hands... short scale won't suit :) so what kind of regular scale fender would you recommend knowing what i is after? i'm sad, i thought i'd found my "bitch" ;)

i have shovels for hands... short scale won't suit :) so what kind of regular scale fender would you recommend knowing what i is after? i'm sad, i thought i'd found my "bitch" ;)
err its kinda hard to say. since you like a strat though id be inclined to look telecasters and strats first. i honestly think you should just hit the guitar shops and play some strats, teles and a jag/jazzmaster. strats and teles will be more versatile than anything else. see what sounds best and feels good. then check what model it is and gives two fingers to the staff and walk out singing, ' off to thomann i go' ..

Toronados are really super guitars.
I had one - shouldn't have sold it.
They sit really nicely in tone terms between Fender and Gibson.
Shouldn't have sold it.

toronadosmall.jpg

As for the difference between Jag and Jazz, I own both, and assuming we're talking US reissues here, I think the Jazzmaster is a more versatile guitar.
Jags sound schuweet clean and slightly dirty. When you get into high-gain, high-volume situations they have a habit of making this nasty high-pitched feedback that can be a real pain to avoid.
I use flatwound strings on mine to tame some of the Jaguar clank.
The short-scale neck makes for some lovely playability, and when a Jag works for a song, it REALLY works.

The Jazzmaster is much more mellow in tone and more versatile in that it can take and amount of gain or volume you throw at it.
It's got a nice chunky neck, which sounds like it might suit you.

So yeah, they're both great, so it's down to what kind of stuff you're playing. Dunno anywhere in town that has US reissues that you could try.
The Japanese versions aren't really any comparison.

FWIW, I haven't played any of the Mustangs, but they're Japanese too.

Here's a real one :

fender mustang 1973.brown wood finish, good condition. serial 627871 086-8212827

with my jazzmaster (japan) i just got a mustang bridge instead of buzz stop, although some people think that changes the sound too much, i haven't really noticed.

My tremolo bar part fell in on itself, got it repaired, in a shop in town, Two weeks later was playing with it and it fell in again. So either they did a crap job or else its fucked.

Might get Seymour Duncan pick-ups for it or try and find some relatively cheap 60's jazz pickups

i have both a jap jazzmaster and a jaguar and i won't have a bad word said about either. i've gigged the shite out of the jazzmaster and it's never given a problem. to combat the not so great single coil sound of the jag i went for its heavy chongo cousin

EG00889.jpg

I've got a jaguar and a Fender vintage valve amp and together they sound more awesome than a Tiger fight. I won't have a bad word said against a jag. Also on everything we've recorded the jag has a beautiful tone.

That said you wouldn't go playing a jag through a fuckin Marshall static amp, maybe thats why some people here are getting poor results.

I got big hands and I play both a Mustang and a Jazzmaster.
My Jazz is currently being modded with a mustang bridge so it can take more abuse.

I looooove the mustang buh. I get the sweet sound, and with a humbucker at the bridge I also get the meat. I'm a big guy so it looks kinda small on me... Hence the Jazzmaster... And trust me, while holding a Jazzmaster it's hard not to pose about like J Mascis or Thurston Moore while playing... Its a big heavy guitar.

Oh, and I should add that I almost never have trouble with strings popping out of the stock Jag/Jazz bridge.
I must play with a reasonably light touch.

What I love about the Mustang over the other two is that you can push it really hard with distortion and the notes don't dissolve into mush. Love that guitar.

guitars i wish i had...

192828.jpg

184338.jpg

and...

195052.jpg

sure then everything would be fine. i wouldn't need any lessons then sure, sure they'd play themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back