It's the Friday 80s Pop song thread (1 Viewer)

Drugs drugs drugs drugs

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This came on my YouTube the other night. I hadn't heard it since I had it on a tape in my bedsit in Rathmines in the early 90s.

There was some chat recently about Leonard Cohen

This sounds a bit like Leonard Cohen

Drugs drugs drugs drugs

Always thought Reward was the weakest Teardrop song they had released at that point.
Cope great autobio had an account of being off his head on acid singing Passionate Friend on TOTP.
Think I posted that video before.

Isn't the Internet wonderful? Just wondered if the gig I was at might be online and lo..

Always thought Reward was the weakest Teardrop song they had released at that point.
Cope great autobio had an account of being off his head on acid singing Passionate Friend on TOTP.
Think I posted that video before.
I think they're a fairly second rate band at the best of times in all honesty. Like, good fun and he's a great presence, but fairly lightweight.

I think they're a fairly second rate band at the best of times in all honesty. Like, good fun and he's a great presence, but fairly lightweight.
I think the early Teardrop 7"s were brilliant but after that they didn't fulfil that promise.
Never followed Cope's solo music much.
He has no shortage of other talents.
Great writer especially.

Teardrop Explodes are incredible and Reward is one of the greatest songs ever

TEARDROP EXPLODES - Passionate Friend. first performance on TOTP (1981)
I don't really like the BA-DA-BA parts but the rest of it amazing.

they were back on TOTP afterwards for another performance of Passionate Friend without the bassist and piano guy who Cope sacked in between.

I said they're second rate, maybe I should have clarified that I meant for 1981.

A second rate pop band in 1981 is still about 20 times better than a first rate pop band in 1988.

TEARDROP EXPLODES - Passionate Friend. first performance on TOTP (1981)
I don't really like the BA-DA-BA parts but the rest of it amazing.

they were back on TOTP afterwards for another performance of Passionate Friend without the bassist and piano guy who Cope sacked in between.

I love the bababapapa and the doodoodoo bit

I didn’t but I will say that I’d never listened to them before and wouldn’t be rushing to hear more.

I saw Julian Cope in the crowd at the Supersonic festival in 2007/8 and he looked deadly in his “Blue Oyster bar”/glam gear.

I said they're second rate, maybe I should have clarified that I meant for 1981.

A second rate pop band in 1981 is still about 20 times better than a first rate pop band in 1988.
1988 was a shite time to be 12. on Irish radio it was like new wave never happened.
you were told Tracy Chapman and Trent Darby were the saviours of music by people who probably never heard of Public Enemy, NWA, Digital Underground or EPMD.

this may help explain why I am so fond of music from an era I have little or no memory of.

1988 was a shite time to be 12. on Irish radio it was like new wave never happened.
you were told Tracy Chapman and Trent Darby were the saviours of music by people who probably never heard of Public Enemy, NWA, Digital Underground or EPMD.

this may help explain why I am so fond of music from an era I have little or no memory of.
No doubt, but both eras were long in the past for me and I still know which I gravitate more towards.

Obviously there's good stuff happening, mostly in various unconnected fringes, but there's even good mainstream stuff with Madonna and George Michael and so on, but individual pop stars are never as exciting shorn of a scene or movement, however hyped up it may be.

The Stock-Aitken-Waterman beat, SAW-wave. It'd almost work if they had actually liked music.

I was listening to Millenium 88 fm that year. I was a 14-year old discovering music of the 50s and 60s and they were wall-to-wall oldies. Sunday morning they had 4 hours of 60s, followed by dial-a-number-1 with Robbie Irwin (the lad that reads the sports news now)

No doubt, but both eras were long in the past for me and I still know which I gravitate more towards.

Obviously there's good stuff happening, mostly in various unconnected fringes, but there's even good mainstream stuff with Madonna and George Michael and so on, but individual pop stars are never as exciting shorn of a scene or movement, however hyped up it may be.

The Stock-Aitken-Waterman beat, SAW-wave. It'd almost work if they had actually liked music.
Kids pop in 1988 = SAW stable, Whitney, Tiffany, Phil Collins etc. Madonna had a quiet year if I remember correctly but I could never stand her.

Doctrin' The TARDIS was a cool though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back