ISPs providing addresses of p2p users to the IRMA? (2 Viewers)

Some good links out of you in this thread.

It's all very exciting really.

.|..|

Interesting times ahead all right.

Amazing how they didn't have the foresight to make a deal with napster at the time - that was the beginning of the end for them.

I remember talking to a girl who worked for Dremworks in LA about 5 years ago that I thought record companies were dead and just postponing the inevitable - the girl looked at me as if I had 4 heads and piece of shit on my nose. She's probably working in Starbucks now!

i've said this before, but it applies here:

file-sharing is double edged sword. it allows many to hear artists they may never have been before exposed to, and develop a love of and thus support said artists, OR it allows lazy arseholes who dont really listen to music properly to build up a collection of a billion contextless files.

the mp3 format is hugely inferior to the 44.100 / 16 nature of CD audio files. even at their highest, a distinct and remarkable loss of sound quality (particularly with regard to the extreme high and low frequencies of audible sound) occurs. the mp3 format is completely inferior to CD. and the music notably suffers as a result.

for me, the whole entireity of an album is in its aesthetic content (a good reason why vinyl will never die as format). the artwork, lyrics, presentation and physical presence of a release adds immensely to the musical work on the whole.

also, there is the matter of supporting the artist. in the case of major labels whores like U2, Madonna and The Rolling Stones, yes they are wealthy as a result of their dreck, but almost all of the truely independant musicians (despite the high critical regard in which they may be held) are not making a fortune. they really do rely on sales to support their work. if you dont support them, they wont be able to continue. if you like what you hear on mp3 and CDr and you can get it, buy it.

the fact that more musicians who had previously been of a reculsive nature are playing live again is indeed, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, because of reduced sales, and file sharing had a huge part to play in that.

the IRMA coming after p2p users is going to do nothing to help the situation: it's a futile gesture and a waste of time.

the mp3 format is hugely inferior to the 44.100 / 16 nature of CD audio files. even at their highest, a distinct and remarkable loss of sound quality (particularly with regard to the extreme high and low frequencies of audible sound) occurs. the mp3 format is completely inferior to CD. and the music notably suffers as a result.

as an aside to the irma debate.

technically, you're utterly correct about the mp3 quality issue, but as the years roll by it's becoming a moot point, and certainly not one that is a consideration for the majority of music consumers. your average joe what downloads mp3s has at this stage almost certainly damaged his hearing badly enough over the years that such fidelity nuances mean little or nothing.

the majority of mp3 users, whilst perhaps not listening exclusively on mp3 players, certainly listen to them enough on bad headphones at extreme volumes that [SIZE=-1]irreparable[/SIZE] damage has certainly been done. i know my ears are fucked enough that i have to struggle to really hear a difference between a proper wav and a 256 mp3.

i'm really curious to see what Dublin is like in 30's time, when everyone in their middle years is as deaf as a post

as an aside to the irma debate.

technically, you're utterly correct about the mp3 quality issue, but as the years roll by it's becoming a moot point, and certainly not one that is a consideration for the majority of music consumers. your average joe what downloads mp3s has at this stage almost certainly damaged his hearing badly enough over the years that such fidelity nuances mean little or nothing.

the majority of mp3 users, whilst perhaps not listening exclusively on mp3 players, certainly listen to them enough on bad headphones at extreme volumes that [SIZE=-1]irreparable[/SIZE] damage has certainly been done. i know my ears are fucked enough that i have to struggle to really hear a difference between a proper wav and a 256 mp3.

i'm really curious to see what Dublin is like in 30's time, when everyone in their middle years is as deaf as a post

to continue on this tangent, i heard that there are now the first cases of so called i-pod hearing damage, a new type of damage related entirely to the nature of mp3s. if cds are mastered and produced to the highest possible dB levels, in conversion to mp3s in many cases, these automatically start to clip: and the digital distortion of this produces intense square waves which damage the eardrum in a fairly ferocious way.

and regardless of this, there are so many of those situations in which i can clearly hear the music being listened to anothers earphones at a considerable volume on the bus or train.

Eh, it's not really.
I've a really good ear and have failed the wav versus 320Kb Lame encoded mp3 test, as have a few other people who's skills I trust. The only music I've been able to hear a difference with is my own and even that has not been 100% accurate and my music goes down to 20hz.
Take from that what you will but for compressed audio - 320kb Lame is nigh on impossible to tell from wav.

and regardless of this, there are so many of those situations in which i can clearly hear the music being listened to anothers earphones at a considerable volume on the bus or train.

shitty headphones + bad manners + ignorance of volume + noise leakage = an angry me before i even get to work

i listen to my mp3 player impossibly high and a few years ago started getting a weird sound in my ear..i was working in a music shop at the time and i ended up having to go for a hearing test..the consultant told me that i had perfect hearing which shocked me no end...he did however tell me that the record shop i was working in had dangerously high levels of noise and i should be wearing ear plugs in work..

*anyways back to the serious debate*

oh and i buy expensive ear phones too..so its not their fault..

i cant really tell the difference between mp3s and cds most of the time either but its probably mostly an issue only if the music has been recorded at high bit rates and sample rates from the start anyway. personally i dont care whether its mp3, cassette, vinyl or whatever, i can enjoy all for what they are but its probably the case that someday, as with privacy, surveillance and light pollution, everyone will have forgotten that at one time the average standards were much higher and that great riches have been thrown away for the sake of convenience

What's peculiar is that consumers are willing to pay a few euro for a ringtone but not one euro for the full song.

That struck me as odd too- I guess people are more likely to make an impulse purchase with their phone which is always to hand than with their PC.

We are beginning to see wi-fi enabled MP3 players now - the Zune is a pretty shit example but Scandisk are doing one now that will stream internet radio using wi-fi.

The next step is a wi-fi enabled mp3 player that as well as syncing wirelessly with your computer can connect by itself to peer to peer sites - thats will be the final nail in the coffin.

Eh, it's not really.
I've a really good ear and have failed the wav versus 320Kb Lame encoded mp3 test, as have a few other people who's skills I trust. The only music I've been able to hear a difference with is my own and even that has not been 100% accurate and my music goes down to 20hz.
Take from that what you will but for compressed audio - 320kb Lame is nigh on impossible to tell from wav.
They're mp3s you've ripped yourself Lame right? Aren't most songs purchased online usually only encoded at 192Kbs (I know itunes are AAC and suposedly better)?

With a 192kbs mp3 - playing through earphones is ok but there is a very noticeable drop in quality when played through speakers. I''ve always noticed a lack of bass with these files. I must try upping my Lame settings to 320kb to see if I notice much improvement.
I think the drm free itunes files are at 256.

They're mp3s you've ripped yourself Lame right? Aren't most songs purchased online usually only encoded at 192Kbs (I know itunes are AAC and suposedly better)?

With a 192kbs mp3 - playing through earphones is ok but there is a very noticeable drop in quality when played through speakers. I''ve always noticed a lack of bass with these files. I must try upping my Lame settings to 320kb to see if I notice much improvement.
I think the drm free itunes files are at 256.

Yeah - what he said

Your never going to notice any difference on a pair of shitty tinny earphones so obsessing about formats donsn't mean much.

Hell of a difference if you you compare side by side on a pair of decent speakers though.

Downloaders face disconnection following Eircom settlement

Eircom has agreed to implement several measures aimed at stopping the use of its internet services for illegal free downloading of music as part of an “amicable” settlement of High Court proceedings brought against it by four major record companies.
As part of the settlement, the record companies will supply Eircom with the IP addresses of all persons who they detect illegally uploading or downloading copyright works while Eircom has agreed measures which include the ultimate disconnection of infringing subscribers who ignore warnings to cease such infringement.

Welcoming the settlement this evening, Willie Kavanagh, chairman of EMI REcords and of the Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA), said he was happy with the outcome and expected other internet service providers to follow Eircom’s example. Eircom also expressed satisfaction with the outcome.

The settlement was announced to Mr Justice Peter Charleton this evening after lengthy talks between the sides and on the eighth day of the legal action, which was listed to run for four weeks.

Both parties have agreed to work closely together and on a joint approach aimed at ending “the absue of the internet by P2P (peer to peer) copyright infringers”, they said in a statement afterwards.

The approach involved the companies - EMI, Sony, Universal and Warner - providing Eircom with the IP addresses of all persons whom they detected to be illegally uploading or downloading copyright works on a peer to peer basis.

Eircom has agreed to implement from now on a graudated process under which it will: (1) inform its broadband
subscriber that the subscribers IP address has been detected infringing copyright; (2) warn the subscriber they will be disconnected unless infringement ceases and (3) disconnect the subscriber in default of compliance with the warning.

The record compnaies have also agreed they will take all necessary steps to put similar agreements in place with all other internet service providers in Ireland.

In their action, the four companies had sought court orders compelling Eircom to actively seek to prevent the use of its networks for the illegal free downloading of music, claiming music piracy is costing record companies here up to €14 million a year.

They alleged Eircom’s attitude was that piracy was not its problem and also complained Eircom was advertising its broadband packages on a website, Pirate Bay, being prosecuted in Sweden over alleged large scale illegal music piracy.
Eircom was also offering family packages on a broadband promotional site which would allow for the downloading of some 5,000 songs a month, it was claimed.

The case was the first here aimed at internet service providers, rather than indivdual illegal downloaders, and reflects the concern of the music industry about the scale and cost of illegal downloading. The court previously heard some 20 billion music files were illegally downloaded worldwide in 2006 alone.

The proceedings were brought by EMI Records (Ireland) Ltd, Sony BMG Music Entertainment (Ireland) Ltd, Universal Music (Ireland) Ltd and Warner Music (Ireland) Ltd. Eircom had denied the claims and argued the record companies had no cause of action against it.
The case had centred on the construction of various EU Directives and Irish regulations relating to intellectual property rights and also on the property right provisions of the Constitution.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0128/breaking81.htm

Whats it all mean?

IF they see you repeatedly downloading (or sharing) they'll send your details to eircom who will send you a letter stating that a complaint has been made by a copyright owner and that if you continue, you will have your service terminated.

It's been happening in the uk for a while now. There was even talk of blacklisting users so they couldn't move to another isp after being disconnected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back