ISPs providing addresses of p2p users to the IRMA? (3 Viewers)

That megabox idea is deadly.There is a definite want for an easy to use,low cost alternative to what exists already.Bandcamp charge an extraordinary 15% for their services,which if you price an LP at ?5 is 75cent for them.A figure I can scarcely believe given the nature of their service.Hosting of a mp3s just cant be that expensive.10% sounds way more reasonable too me.Bandwitdh isnt that prohibitively expensive these days.

Word, I think they're creaming it a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the paypal element of it is about 2.5%-5%. 15% is almost the same cost as a manager.

Charging bands if more than 200 free mp3s (or thereabouts.. sorry I don't have the figure) are downloaded is a bit OTT too, when soundcloud, mediafire et al do it for free (well, with ads. I suppose bandcamp don't use ads, but that's cold comfort for the band).

"We have a solution called the Megakey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free," Dotcom outlined. "Yes that's right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works."

That sounds like giving the artists a cut of the advertising money (?) which does sound good. That said Dotcom and friends seem to have made a lot of money out of distributing other people's material, so not sure if the feckers could be trusted. But competition in the area could only be good for artists.

Word, I think they're creaming it a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the paypal element of it is about 2.5%-5%. 15% is almost the same cost as a manager.

Charging bands if more than 200 free mp3s (or thereabouts.. sorry I don't have the figure) are downloaded is a bit OTT too, when soundcloud, mediafire et al do it for free (well, with ads. I suppose bandcamp don't use ads, but that's cold comfort for the band).

"We have a solution called the Megakey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free," Dotcom outlined. "Yes that's right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works."

That sounds like giving the artists a cut of the advertising money (?) which does sound good. That said Dotcom and friends seem to have made a lot of money out of distributing other people's material, so not sure if the feckers could be trusted. But competition in the area could only be good for artists.

Aww yeah..after paypal take their cut its just stupid.I've used Tunecore to place stuff in iTunes et al..and while its good,they too have raised their prices.I can't remember what iTunes take but to be honest I just dislike iTunes and would rather not use them.The two times I installed it on my computer the machine went gaga.Its just a massive bloat.The radio are reluctant to play a commercially released song if its not available on iTunes too.Its a load of balls.You're very much over a barrel..although I have heard that the radio is increasingly becoming less relevant in marketing a song but I don't really buy that either.

it should be remembered, its 15% of technically fuck all until you sell something. A manager will take 15% and you still need distribution. i like the idea that i can have an add free hub for free that i only need to pay for if it makes any money. thats not an awful business model.

at the time of writing:

To date, artists have made $13,647,640 using Bandcamp, and $1,005,042 in the past 30 days alone.

that implies that they made 177360.4 dollars this month.

i dont think its an awful amount to be 'creaming'. they undercut everyone when they arrived, its a decent interface and unless someone wants to undercut, i dont see a better game in town.

When you put it like that ann post; it makes way more sense.I forgot about the zero insertion fee and no ads.

293825_373631952668373_163830345_n.jpg

In proceedings which have commenced in the Commercial Court, Mr Justice Peter Charleton has been told Commissioner's enforcement notice of December 5 last directing Eircom to stop implementing the three strikes agreement amounts to an unlawful and irrational attempt by the Commissioner to re-open data protection issues already determined in their favour by the High Court.

The action against the Commissioner has been brought by EMI Records (Ireland) Ltd, Sony Music Entertainment Ireland Ltd, Universal Music Ireland Ltd and Warner Music Ireland Ltd is aimed at quashing that notice.

Yesterday, Michael McDowell SC for the companies said that by issuing the notice the Commissioner had acted in excess of his powers, irrationally, disproportionately and in a manner prejudicial to the music firm's interests.

http://www.independent.ie/business/...missioner-is-unwinding-agreement-3116771.html

A CASE involving Eircom’s policy of cutting off the broadband connections of users found to have been illegally downloading music has been appealed to the Supreme Court.

Papers lodged with the Supreme Court set out 31 grounds of appeal.

These included that the lower court incorrectly held that the contract Eircom customers sign is sufficient to amount to consent to be subject to the ‘three strikes’ policy.

The commissioner is also asking the Supreme Court to refer certain questions to the European Court of Justice for preliminary ruling.

He is seeking its opinion on whether the Eircom policy is compatible with European law “having regard to the balance it strikes (or purports to strike) between the protection of the intellectual property rights enjoyed by the [record companies] and the fundamental rights of customers to protection of their personal information and the freedom to impart and receive information”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0803/1224321373384.html

Irish internet service providers are facing new legal action from record labels trying to clamp down on file sharing.

EMI, Sony, Warner Music and Universal have issued proceedings against UPC, Imagine, Vodafone, Digiweb and Hutchison 3G.

The case is due before the High Court on December 17th.

The labels are seeking an injunction compelling ISPs to block free file-sharing site Pirate Bay.

UPC confirmed proceedings had been served on its legal representatives and that it had previously declined Irish music industry body IRMA’s request to voluntarily block the Pirate Bay.

“We understand that all other ISPs joined to the proceedings similarly declined the request,” the company said in a statement.

“UPC can confirm however its position has not changed. As an ISP, our position is that ISPs should not on a voluntary basis decide what can or should be consumed by users. We believe such matters are for the Government or court to decide.”

Mobile network and broadband provider Hutchison 3G, which trades as 3 Ireland, also said it was a matter for courts to decide.

The issue has been the subject of an ongoing battle between the music industry and the internet service providers in recent years.

Eircom has blocked its broadband services customers from using the site since September 1st 2009 after settling a case with Irma.

The High Court made an order requiring Eircom to disable access to Pirate Bay and related domain names and URLs.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1207/breaking40.html

and a reminder:
THE GOVERNMENT HAS “no intention” of introducing legislation that would restrict the freedom of Irish internet users, the Junior Minister at the Dept of Jobs, Enterprise Innovation Sean Sherlock has said.
Speaking on RTÉ Radio 1′s Drivetime programme this evening, Sherlock said that it was “just not true” that websites like Twitter, Facebook and YouTube could be blocked under a new statutory judgement currently being reviewed by the Cabinet.

http://www.thejournal.ie/government...ing-internet-freedom-sherlock-336557-Jan2012/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back