ISPs providing addresses of p2p users to the IRMA? (1 Viewer)

IRMA (Irish Recorded Music Association ) meet today to consider their position, U2 manager Paul McGuinness added his voice of support for a call to change the Irish legislation.
"This is extremely bad for the international reputation of Ireland as a jurisdiction with appropriate legal protection for all kinds of Intellectual Property and copyright generally. Though today's court ruling is clearly a major blow to the recorded music industry and the movie industry, there are many other Irish based businesses and industries threatened nowadays by copyright theft, (software, games, technology,etc etc), and the government must now as a matter of urgency, do its job properly and implement the required EU legislation without further delay. Justice Charleton's judgement could not be clearer on where the responsibility lies."
Paul McGuinness

So Gene Simmons then? I know this was a week ago but I wasn't paying attention

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/oct/14/gene-simmons-anonymous-attack-filesharing

and Bob Lefsetz's vaguely interesting response

Original story here:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpps/en...rgeted-by-hackers-dpgoha-20101018-fc_10165503

It used to be me, me, me.

Now it's you, you, you.

Suddenly, you work for your customers, your fans, not the record company, not radio, not MTV, but the people who actually foot the bill. Just ask Dell. Trying to save money, the Texas computer company outsourced tech support to India and customer frustration was expressed online and the company has literally never recovered from the Dell Hell backlash.

I'm sick and tired of Gene Simmons saying musicians are only in it for the money and only being about the money himself.

Gene's still living in the seventies. When fans had no real access to stars. The fact that Gene could not see the coming backlash to his comments illustrates that he's just not as smart as he thinks he is, certainly not as informed.

I'm not condoning people taking down his sites. I don't condone illegal activity. But just because there are laws that doesn't eliminate lawless behavior. You must use hands-free devices to speak on cell phones while driving in California, but out in the street you're constantly confronted by scofflaws yakking away as they slow down, go faster, weave from lane to lane and...

In other words, as we learned in law school, you might have the right, but do you have the power?

Gene's got little power to shut down the hackers. If he only realized you get ahead by getting in bed with your audience, treating them nicely. I don't know if Gene treated all those sexual conquests so well, whether they're testifying as to his skills, but he had it right. You go directly to your fans. In the seventies, that meant sleeping with them. In the twenty first century, that means being their virtual friend, giving them free goods and selling them exclusive merchandise that they're dying to own.

Speaking of dying, instead of promoting the KISS Koffin or that bullshit bass, why don't you sell virtual goods Gene? What's that adage, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em? Instead of shutting down the haters, join in with the online lovers. I doubt it's KISS fans attacking your site. It was dumb to antagonize those hackers. Today you don't worry about the haters, you placate the lovers!

Where are the virtual KISS outfits? Fans would love to tend their online farms dressed as Gene and Paul. Gene could even have a virtual KISS world, charging fans to dress up like him and speak with his avatar, which could be run by a lackey. KISS could do virtual shows online. Instead of trying to blast everybody into the past, Gene Simmons could make more money not only making peace with the present, but getting onboard and making money in the future.

The money's there. For those who build fanbases, maintain the lines of communication and treat each and every customer like he's the last one you've got.

Wannabes know all this. Only the oldsters are clueless. Soon the wannabes will be players and the oldsters will be retired. If you don't want to be set out to the virtual pasture, stop fighting battles you can't win and use the new tools to make a fortune. The money's there. In excess of $2 billion in virtual goods in 2011: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...les-to-top-2-billion-in-2011-report-says.html Go get it!

As of this writing, http://www.genesimmons.com/ still does not load.

In its final days, the Government is believed to be rushing through a statutory instrument that will amend the existing Copyright Act and which will give judges the power to grant injunctions against ISPs in relation to copyright infringement cases.

The move is believed to stem from October’s court case between the music industry (Warner, Sony, Universal and EMI) and UPC in which the judge pointed to a key gap in Irish copyright laws.

Siliconrepublic.com has learned that the Department of Enterprise Trade and Innovation and the Department of Communications have tabled the legislation which is currently in the hands of the parliamentary draftsman with a view to passing it by Friday.

The legislation is expected to be sanctioned by the present Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Innovation Mary Hanafin TD before Friday.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/20561-copyright-act-amendment

Coalition must face up to tackling illegal file sharing - Irish Times

Xtra-Vision has now entered the fray writing to the Taoiseach and Richard Bruton, pointing out that 1,400 jobs and €20 million a year in tax revenues to the State are at risk if something is not done to prevent the illegal downloading of the movies and games they sell and rent.

They have adopted a less confrontational approach than the music industry and arguably a more persuasive one.

Rather than go after individuals they want the service providers to be compelled to take the same sort of “reasonable steps” that any other business would be expected to take to ensure that they are not dealing in counterfeit goods.

The situation for UPC should be no different to a large retailer such as Eason, argue Xtra-Vision.

They are not expected under the law to check that every thing they sell does not infringe someone else’s intellectual property rights, but if it is brought to their attention that something they are selling is counterfeit, they are expected to remove it.

The extension of this principle into the online sphere would mean that if it is brought to the attention of a service provider that a particular site is facilitating illegal downloading, the provider should block it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0411/1224294394145.html

...so there's a case to be made for this person to be hauled to a public place and put in stocks for copyright infringement... amongst many other things...

I can think of several other justifications for the stocks in this case

Awesome

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0112/breaking49.html

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 17:35

Sweden recognises file-sharing 'religion'

Sweden dealt a symbolic blow to the global fight against digital music and film piracy by recognising a group that promotes file-sharing across the Internet as a religion.One of the most wired nations in the world, Sweden has long been a battleground between those who support file-sharing and the music and film industry. The Nordic state gave birth to the world's largest file-sharing website, Pirate Bay.Registering the Church of Kopimism is a way to avoid "persecution", said the website of the group, which was given official recognition by the Swedish state last month.Kopimism's name is derived from the words "copy me" and as its website makes clear it strongly supports all forms of downloading and uploading files and sees copyright laws as violating freedom of information."We believe that information is holy," said Isak Gerson, who calls himself the "spiritual leader" of a church whose key symbols are "Ctrl C" and "Ctrl V", the keyboard short cuts for copy and paste."We do not think that copying is stealing or can ever be stealing," Mr Gerson (20) said.Such comments are anathema to the film and music industries, which view Sweden as a blackspot for illegal file-sharing.Even though a Swedish court has sentenced the men behind Pirate Bay to prison and fines, the website is still freely available in Sweden and other countries.Ludvig Werner, head of the Swedish branch of recording industry body IFPI, declined to comment on Kopimism but noted that 1.5 million people in Sweden out of a population of nine million were active file-sharers."This means Sweden is one of the most active countries in Europe for file-sharing. So we still have a problem, even if the legal streaming of music has helped limit it," he said, referring to services such as Spotify.After strong criticism from Hollywood, Sweden passed laws to make file-sharing illegal in 2009.But Werner noted that the law, which is Sweden's application of an EU law called the Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement Directive (IPRED), had been effectively suspended due to an appeal of a Swedish case which has gone all the way to the European Court of Justice.This meant Sweden was left with a more cumbersome and time-consuming process for fighting Internet piracy, he said.
Reuters

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back