Is Kevin Myers racist? (1 Viewer)

I just watched, i don't think he is, normally i think he talks shite. What he is saying is that we should at least discuss immigration so we can plan for it and make sure the whole balbriggan thing doesn't happen again. Even saying that i have to think what is the problem with having a 100% black school, but i do think its best for every person in Ireland if everyone intigrates from the start and we should talk and discuss at government level to make sure we have the infrastructure to do this in the future. I think that what Kevin Myers was getting at, in his usual shite way;-)

Kevin Myers is afraid of everyone: women, other men, all colours, nationalities and religions. I didn't watch.

I can't watch things about immigration, it makes me far too fucking angry because people make crazy statements that have nothing to do with policy or anything remotely related to laws or policies that actually exist in Ireland. And no matter what, foreigners are never talked about as anything more than labour units.

I dunno if he's a racist but it was clearly established here some time back that he's an asshole.

Ah yeah he's more of an asshole than a racist. As one guy said "I don't think you're a racist, I think you're a good self-publicist." What he said was reasonable enough, that immigration needs to be debated publicly and that accusing anyone who brings up the subject of being racist is facile and counterproductive.

He thinks immigrants should be made to conform to the norms of Irish society and law. He thinks that outward signs of religious devotion shouldn't be allowed (?!) such as veils etc.

He also said that if necessary Ireland should go against EU-wide law and curtail immigration from EU states, specifically Eastern European.

If it's a discussion he wants, why wasn't there one? Is he too chickenshit to get up there and discuss immigration with other human beings, some who probably know way more about it than he does? Like Jane.

He's not a racist. He's a prick.

His whole MO is to admit to not knowing anything about the issue, calling for rational public debate, then still mouths off with potted statistics, half-truths and lies.

Like, his argument was Ireland's taking in too many immigrants (where from, he doesn't specify). We know this because America takes in 1,000,000 each year, "one-third of one percent" of the population. So the US isn't overrun. Then he says we're screwed because the government can't tell us how many illegal immigrants are here. Uh, so you're comparing legal US immigration and illegal Irish immigration. This is how racists work. Comparing completely uncomparable pieces of information to scare people.

A whole Late Late should be devoted to the immigration/racism debate. They used to do that years ago about stuff like abortion and divorce etc. It's definitely a subject that needs some lengthy critical debate on our national station. And when I say critical debate, I mean that all aspects of our own culture and incoming culture should be put uner the microscope and there should be no middle-class avoidance by TV presenters and politicans in relation to archaic beliefs, customs and religion.

But the really bad thing is people like Myers is going around like Irish anti-racist and immigrant/asylum-seeker support organisations, and others, are crazy extreme loonies who are driving us down a road of 'middle-class avoidance'.

In fact, they're the ones dealing with the effects of racism and social exclusion of immigrants in Ireland every day. They're the ones on the ground, doing the research. They're the ones calling for public debate and education on the issue, which isn't simply a national issue.

Like, if people like him are telling us we shouldn't listen to people who know what they're talking about, and listen to ivory tower intellectuals, politicians and neocon journos like himself instead, we're fucked.

mad talking about the late late with one of the ould ones whos arses i wipe in work today was nearly thinking of watching it for the laugh,then the visitor we had tonight also mentioed the late late in passing strange
should have watched it!

anyway don't know what he said but if its anything like the usual shite he comes out with me and the beers i've had say his a cunt!:)

myers...kevin fuckin "up the union, world war one fetishist, woman fearing" myres. when the provos announced they were standing down their ASUs at 4 o clock on whatever day it was last year, i kept listening out for the news bullitins, think 3 hours thats plenty of time to take out myres and if they have any spare time mcdowell too.

fuckin Myres is a fuckin plauge of a man, although I think hes become even more of a chacacature of himself since he moved to the Indo. Im telling ya when the revolution comes .....
guillitine.gif

swiftly followed by Eoghan fuckin "used to be a stick now a fuckin prick" harris.

I knew I shouldnt of read this thread, im off to take my blood pressure medicine now!

A big problem is that Kenny isn't good at posing any difficult questions. He tried to grill Myers on him saying that Ireland has had too much immigration but then backed down.

He is a racist. He sits there in Kildare, dreaming of idyllic middle-england home-counties bullshit, and applying it to Ireland. And he's a cunt. And his column is the most risibly condescending clap-trap I have ever read. His attempts at humour are painful.

He always makes good points but I think it's his dogmatic, aggressive, west brit attitude that pisses people off.

I do think he did make some good points and some points I disagree with but as you say his dogmatic, aggressive manner puts alot of people off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back