Is all the best music American? (1 Viewer)

hag said:
the best music in the world is from mali.

but, i think the real question is why is there no real bands any more? led zeppelin, so many people went to their shows. BUT they were a quality band, no one can deny that. now, english bands just try to copy them or parts of them or parts of the no wave scene from NY in the 70's.

seriously, the age of giants is gone. we're living in the age of pretenders. the only real band is the ex and they're not even young.

what's my point? will there ever be an original rock band like led zeppelin who will capture people's imaginations like they did? will most of the people ever like something genuinely good again? i'd like to think so but i doubt it. the wave broke and rolled back. it's hard to find anything sincere these days - that's why i have so much trouble simply living. sometimes it's torture. then you go to an ex show and you're ok for another few months.

the end.

i'm inclinded to agree with this
i don't think there'll be a band like zepplin again cos they were a product of their time and the products of today are in a very different markety world.
the ex - yes.
i do think that it is still possible to be a band in that way. it may just take another ten years of working at it from the ground up before people hear about it.
or somethin.

hag said:
what's my point? will there ever be an original rock band like led zeppelin who will capture people's imaginations like they did? will most of the people ever like something genuinely good again?
I never liked Zeppelin much. I heard "Babe I'm gonna leave you" played on the radio on Valentine's night and was astonished at how fucking lame it was. You'd be embarrassed if someone played it at the shittest singer-songwriter night in Dublin

it's hard to find anything sincere these days - that's why i have so much trouble simply living.
Em ... what? I'm sincere.
hag, if you're speaking from the heart here, the real trouble you're having with simply living is your looniness

egg_ said:
I never liked Zeppelin much. I heard "Babe I'm gonna leave you" played on the radio on Valentine's night and was astonished at how fucking lame it was. You'd be embarrassed if someone played it at the shittest singer-songwriter night in Dublin

Em ... what? I'm sincere.
hag, if you're speaking from the heart here, the real trouble you're having with simply living is your looniness
zing-uh.

hag said:
will there ever be an original rock band like led zeppelin? will most of the people ever like something genuinely good again?

But were they original? Wasn't it more that they were louder and had an amazing, and never to be equalled, rhythm section? The bass-player was a proper musician, the drummer put the savant into idiot. Page was a calculating Capricorn who stumbled on a good formula and knew how to work it. As for Percy, well, you gotta love that blond hair. When I was a teenager I thought Jimmy Page was cool. These days I prefer to focus on Bonzo and JPJ. I think they're much more interesting.

fuck this if 90% if the music you listen to is US or anglo-saxon you are a sad bastard. the nme and their ilk think london and the us are the centre of the universe.when did they last cover a polish brasilian or mexican band? countries like finland have had hundreds of punk and metal bands that piss on places like ireland and london stuff. what about germany brasil or japan? i'll take colombian malaysian slovenian and turkish music over the 'modern' flavour of the month and stuff that rehashes bands whose material is easily available.

well ok but if all you listen to is metal and punk then you are a sad bastard

ho ho ho

I understand the hollowness of my original question, I just think it's fun watching all you geeks fall over yourselves to shout about music as if you own it or something.

nuke terrorist said:
fuck this if 90% if the music you listen to is US or anglo-saxon you are a sad bastard. the nme and their ilk think london and the us are the centre of the universe.when did they last cover a polish brasilian or mexican band? countries like finland have had hundreds of punk and metal bands that piss on places like ireland and london stuff. what about germany brasil or japan? i'll take colombian malaysian slovenian and turkish music over the 'modern' flavour of the month and stuff that rehashes bands whose material is easily available.

snakybus said:

ho ho ho

I understand the hollowness of my original question, I just think it's fun watching all you geeks fall over yourselves to shout about music as if you own it or something.

ye big meany....

anyhow, the point is taken that there is a bias in the med-ja towards british or american trends..... wire magazine is perhaps an exception.... i don't know were some music is from and frankly i hardly care.... it is our mission if we choose to except to seek our new musical territory ... and care less if it's american, oirish, english, fijian, botswani, chilean or papua new guinean....

snakybus said:
ho ho ho

Ah yeah, me arse
You mean "I understand the hollowness of my original question, but still found it interesting so I asked it anyway"

snow machine said:
it is our mission if we choose to except to seek our new musical territory ... and care less if it's american, oirish, english, fijian, botswani, chilean or papua new guinean....

maybe you should start seeking out new life and new civilisations, like that Captain Jean-Luc Picard does.

snakybus said:

ho ho ho

I agree with Egg, that's bullshit. Your original post that kicked all this off wasn't hollow or ironic, you're just sidesteppig the issue now because you look like you might be on the wrong side of the fence. And exactly what's wrong with listening to metal and punk ? Back up your argument with evidence !

Plobbser said:
I agree with Egg, that's bullshit. Your original post that kicked all this off wasn't hollow or ironic, you're just sidesteppig the issue now because you look like you might be on the wrong side of the fence. And exactly what's wrong with listening to metal and punk ? Back up your argument with evidence !

And this is your first post?
You are going to have trouble round these parts, Plobbser.

"argument" haha

"fence" hahaha

there's nothing wrong with listening to metal and punk, there there. Go and listen to some now if it makes you feel better

I didn't say ironic either, did I, numbnuts?

my question, my question was hollow in the sense that it didn't carry much weight. But I'm a flighty kind of guy sometimes, you know?

Plobbser said:

egg_ said:
Whoa there Plobbser, no harm in talking a little bullshit once in a while, so long as you don't lose the run of yourself

Whoa, I wasn losing the run of meself, I was just saying what I thought ! And agreeing with you also ! This is supposed to be a debate, right ? My argument isn;t with you, I just think that Snaky's started off an intrestying subject here and then sidesptpped it.

Wilbert said:
And this is your first post?
You are going to have trouble round these parts, Plobbser.

"Trouble" ? "These parts" ? What is this, "Deliverance" ? Obviously , I'd better not engage or offend anyone while I'm here anymore sheesh....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back