Is a golden Age upon us? (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by Speed Racer
What do you think of

Nickelcreek (not Nickelback dear Lord)
Come on some of these bands are doing incredibly dynamic stuff. Pisses all over any indie fuckin band of the last decade.

Nickelcreek?
has anyone heard their version of Pavement's 'Spit on a Stranger'?

urgghhhh.........
fucking unbelievably disgusting.

while i'm here, has anyone heard that new Shania Twain song?
the verses sound identical to 'Sex Farm' by Spinal Tap.
deadly

whenever I hear that Nelly song...the one where yer woman goes "Nelly, I love you etc" I always hear "Penny's with a whole lotta things for christmas, and a lot for the family ect.."

the latest craze is sweeping my gaff is "Scandi Folk Trip Hop" (as translated from Flemish) a style of music championed by Bazar Bla.

It's bleedin deadly.

I was in Cologne over the summer and went to Saturn which apparently stocks over 2 million titles.
You could pick up ANY cd in the building, bring it over to a listening post, allow the bar code reader in said listening post to recognise the CD and it would play the first 30 seconds from all the songs on that album.

Now thats what I call Vorsprung durch Technik. That, in my opinion, was one of the best ways to 'discover' new sounds.

[for the record] purchased some Motorpsycho, Gastr del Sol, Tocotronic and Jan Gazzaria in that store after giving them a listen and liking them lots [ / for the record]

Originally posted by Pantone247
No you are not talking about music, talking about music would be telling people about an album you liked or a great band you went to see or some problems your own band (if there is a band) have encountered and discuss these things....and lordy look.. thats happening all the over the shop here!

What you do is go "Is post pop nu-metal influenced rock as relevant as trip hop based anit-folk jazzcore?" or "Are we entering a new era of post barbershop neo-pyscadelia meltdown, discuss?"

and yes I KNOW they are not direct quotes, but what your doing is not discussing anything, just using big flowery language to show you can... I mean none of these threads you start, that end with "discuss?", come to anything its crazy!!

I mean if you want to talk about music, talk about music, don't put up flowery Select stylee headlines ("Is nu wave folk trahs the new harcdore skiffle-hop Jazz?") and expect everyone to start gushing

Some people did actually discuss music from this thread. I never really used flowery language under the heading of a thread, you did. Just there when you made it up about me. And yes your remarks weren't direct quotes because I never said anything that 'flowery'. Once again you talk thru your hole Pantone. I mean 'Skiffle-hop jazz'? Herv said that, in a joke. Not me. You are a twat. Do your quote searches properly if your are gonna try nail me.

Another thing. I've never read Select, NME or whatever magazines you are on about that you hate. So I don't know what kinda writing style you are yappin on about. You obviously do. So that makes you the big NME/Select reader.

You know what. I think I am disliking you. If you don't like my threads, well bog off outta them. Or ignore me. Ha? Mr. Logic? Think on.

Originally posted by P. Littbarski

[for the record] purchased some Motorpsycho, Gastr del Sol, Tocotronic and Jan Gazzaria in that store after giving them a listen and liking them lots [ / for the record]

You didn't get Camoufleur as well did you? It's great living with Diarmuid. I don't intend buying any music for at least three more months....

Stereolab

In fairness, SOUND DUST is poxy. Actually, Stereolab only ever hit the dizzy heights once (with "Crest" from Transient Random Noise Bursts"), and then they plummetted back to earth with a wallop.

..if nothing else speedy you provide the greatest outpouring of vitriolic spew ever. " golden age of music" arse. what would this place be with out your " music" discussions. thank you for once again deciding what this board should and shouldn't be about..the boys who run it I'm sure couldn't do without you. !ironyyy !ironyyy

Originally posted by P. Littbarski

I was in Cologne over the summer and went to Saturn which apparently stocks over 2 million titles.
You could pick up ANY cd in the building, bring it over to a listening post, allow the bar code reader in said listening post to recognise the CD and it would play the first 30 seconds from all the songs on that album.

Now thats what I call Vorsprung durch Technik. That, in my opinion, was one of the best ways to 'discover' new sounds.

virqin in paris do the same thing. it's great. grap about 10 cds and you're sorted.

D'ya get the new Tocotronic one? It's not half bad. Better than K.O.O.K and much better than Digital ist Besser.

In fairness, SOUND DUST is poxy.

i like it, meself, though it wouldn't be their best. it has a couple of great poptastic tunes. (me == sucker for big poptastic tunes)

and camoufleur is quite spiffy. and may actually be in the giant pile of cds on my desk, so i can stick it on now. hoorah.

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
..if nothing else speedy you provide the greatest outpouring of vitriolic spew ever. " golden age of music" arse. what would this place be with out your " music" discussions. thank you for once again deciding what this board should and shouldn't be about..the boys who run it I'm sure couldn't do without you. !ironyyy !ironyyy

Oh you ARE cool Lizzy. Touche

Originally posted by enchance
virqin in paris do the same thing. it's great. grap about 10 cds and you're sorted.

D'ya get the new Tocotronic one? It's not half bad. Better than K.O.O.K and much better than Digital ist Besser.

The new album is really good, but I still think 'Es ist Egal, aber' is their best, totally rocks out.
Did you ever hear the Freiburg v.3.0 mix (by Console i think).
I'd buy that for a dollar.

Wheres that exactly? We're in internerd land. No one gives a fuck in Reality. Anyway, I'm coming to see you on Thursday night. Won't that be luvly?

vaguely topical blah-blahing

golden age of music coming? why not!?! It may be crass(not the band)and clichéd, but pop music (by this I just mean music released for people to hear and buy)always is more groudbreaking etc. during periods of international instability--i.e., 'pop' music seems more vital and innovative during wars, financial chaos, stupid administrations (thatcher, bush, insert other bastards here). Maybe its the zeitgeist thing/collective unconscious, whatever; as a couple examples: rock n' roll/post-ww2 malaise; the Beatles break in america during a period when the kids at the time started figuring out that the suburban dream had a rotten core; hendrix/doors/zep/etc shake shit up during viet nam; punk rock "arrives" during unprecedented economic malaise in england; nirvana and the whole seattle thing (at least here in the states) develops during the 1st bush era; the only thing non-slanderous I can say for bush jr. is that with huge corpos raping the american worker, the religious right trying to make sex and gayness punishable by death, bush and his business cronies generally trying to loot the world and make $ off of war, if history holds this probably means that we are moving towards another era of relevant, good music. The RIAA complain about mp3's killing profits, but I reckon most of us have benefitted greatly from the net, either by getting our music heard by people who wouldn't of otherwise, or by comiing across music we wouldn'tve heard otherwise-- just through this site, I've heard Dudley, Aurel, Yakuza, Stoat, Papercop, Holy Ghost Fathers, and a buncha other great bands that I prolly wouldn'tve otherwise. Of course, I've bootlegged all them and am selling copies at an obscene profit :D So there are always great bands making great music, its just a matter of finding what ya like and spending the dosh to buy it-- so much better to support indie music with yer $ than helping to fuel the whole dirty soul-raping machinery of the majors. Of course there are some good bands on/distributed by majors, but at the mo I can't think of any! I am NOT some industry bigshot, but I have had various dealings with majors, and THEY HAVE ALL SUCKED and seeing the ways which majors screw bands...sickening. I must admit that most of the music I listen to for pleasure is stuff I've had the luck of recording; and honestly y'all the stuff I've been exposed to via thumped is easily as good as any indie music from anyplace. It could well be the beginning of a golden age if WE MAKE IT SO. Work on your songs, forget about how anybody else is doing it/the momentary trends, DON'T sign ANYTHING to do with your music without consulting an industry attorney, give the cloning machine that is the majors the finger UNLESS they play by your rules. A record deal/advance could make everything grand in the short term, but in the long run, I'd wager that almost everybody in the top 10 now on a major will be BANKRUPT in 5-10 years. Its killer that there are so many instrument-based bands again (as opposed to a DAT and autotuned vocals), AND we have the option of so much fairly cheap technology to abuse at our whims. And funnily enough Herv, I play drums in an ambient skiffle band. Seriously. www.hoovercain.com for mp3's Anyways, I'm far off topic as usual, so here are bands I think are great:
-Hoover Cain (even before I played with em, I loved em)
-Carrie Akre (www.cdbaby/cd/carrieakre)
-QOTSA
-the Gossip
-Dudley Corp
-Yakuza
-Jeff Buckley(dead, but incred)
-Mark Hollis/TalkTalk (last 2 albums)
-Flaming Lips (some)
-Weezer (Pinkerton in particular)
-Wormwood (a mate's band, like neurosis kinda mëtal)
-DJ Shadow
-Guided by Voices (earlier/better)
...and, of course, Daniel O'Donnel:D
okay, I'll stop now

Re: vaguely topical blah-blahing

Originally posted by dubh in seattle
golden age of music ?
-Guided by Voices (earlier/better)

Anyone who doesn't like Guided By Voices between 1990 and 1996 is a very sick and sad individual. The fact that most people haven't heard them is probably why the world is generally screwed up.

1,500 posts on Thumped.com. I'm going to stick it on the C.V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back