Is a golden Age upon us? (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by peaches
& yeah ry cooder.. anyone who hasn't seen paris texas yet should rent it tonight. public service announcement. :)

My favourite film...

Well, that and all those crazy Ernest movies. And stuff with action... like that 1990 Eric Estrada vehicle "Guns". It had ninjas in it.

Anyway, I've stopped listening to music. Just noise pricking about and throwing shapes.

Originally posted by Pantone247
Who will be the next Cast?

More importantly, who will be the next Crass?

Some of the best pop music of the last ten years is on these records, in my humble opinion:

Invoke
Prize
Noon Chill
Mundo Civiliazdo
O Corpo Sutil (The Subtle Body)

All of which are by Arto Lindsay

There's no such thing as a golden age, because there's no such thing as reality (if you see what I mean). Perceptions of golden ages and reality are, on the other hand very real.

jesus, that ArtoSite is just the tiniest bit heavy going.* i hate artists who make sure to tell you that they're artists. brian eno (a onetime ArtoCollaborator, apparently) would never do that.
*and his press photo should be destroyed immediately
is he any good

Who will be the next Cast?

Let me set this straight right away Panty. I hate Northern English bands most of the time. Alot of it is over rated shite. I Especially LOATHE Cast. Ughhh! My point in mentioning The Coral and The Bees was not to say, "Hey I bought these albums and these are my favourite bands". No, I was commenting more on their appreciation of different genres and their efforts to meld them together. I thought that was interesting to hear. I hate listening to something like the Foo Fighters latest album, and finding that its the same same style, same theme, nay same fucking vocal melody almost every song! It's horrendous! Mr.Grohl had so much potential after the first 2 great albums from the Foos. But its like since he wrote Monkey Wrench he thought, "this nice and its rockin, how about I make another 2 or 3 albums that sound exactly like this." And simultanaeously he was the catalyst for such shit as the 'Car reg' bands coming to the fore.

If Mr.Grohl had listened to a broader range of music and bothered to experiment he could have unleashed something really powerful and interesting. Personally, I thought 'Everlong' as the best track on the Clour and the Shape album.

And on the subject of Northern Bands I'd like to say that The Stone Roses were, Are still one of the most overrated bands ever!

Originally posted by conor
anger... building.... must.. suppress.. urgetokill

Shut up! Really, if you've got something to say just say it. Was it the Stone Roses bit? Tell us. Don't just sit there, mouse in hand with urges to kill.

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Shut up! Really, if you've got something to say just say it. Was it the Stone Roses bit? Tell us. Don't just sit there, mouse in hand with urges to kill.

ok, but these are just personal opinions.

mainly, golden age me hole. there's always been plenty of good music out there, sometimes you just gotta look harder. at the moment there's a general sway back to guitar based music and more sedate and easily accessible electronica but in the end alot of it is music for the masses and not progressive. this can be ok in the case of the white stripes, the strokes, lemonjelly etc. but it's the copycat bands and the scramble by the big companies to release similar stuff that is disgusting. and the hype in nme etc. believe me, there's no golden age. in fact this sort of thing can be detrimental to the progression of some bands because it leads to a polarisation where you have those that write easy stuff to become popular and those that knee-jerk to this and write insanely inaccessible stuff (autechre's 'confield' - i don't get it). but that's another argument.

specifically i think stone roses were class although i was into faith no more etc. at the time but i can appreciate where they were coming from and what they did.

the coral's 'skeleton key' i liked alot but i got the album and was really disappointed. other people have pointed out that capn. beefheart wipes the floor with 'em - I wouldn't know.

little or no good music in the last five years? may as well fuck out half me records so.

speedy, stop reading nme, stop watching mtv. have a go at some good websites like epitonic and pitchfork and you'll see there's plenty o' really good stuff out there.

what have the Foo Fighters got to do with anything?

seriously where did the Foo's come into this? Why did you bring them up??

the Stone Roses... who mentioned them??... what are you on about at all??

my Cast comment was not a dig at "Northen Bands" but to point out that you have listed the sort of bands that produce bland but vaugley tuneful "indie" records that have no depth or weight to them at all and sell truck loads for people to play at their dinner parties so there mates can think they're "Far Out"

I'm gobsmacked at you ability to miss the point

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Let me set this straight right away Panty. I hate Northern English bands most of the time. Alot of it is over rated shite. I Especially LOATHE Cast. Ughhh! My point in mentioning The Coral and The Bees was not to say, "Hey I bought these albums and these are my favourite bands". No, I was commenting more on their appreciation of different genres and their efforts to meld them together. I thought that was interesting to hear. I hate listening to something like the Foo Fighters latest album, and finding that its the same same style, same theme, nay same fucking vocal melody almost every song! It's horrendous! Mr.Grohl had so much potential after the first 2 great albums from the Foos. But its like since he wrote Monkey Wrench he thought, "this nice and its rockin, how about I make another 2 or 3 albums that sound exactly like this." And simultanaeously he was the catalyst for such shit as the 'Car reg' bands coming to the fore.

If Mr.Grohl had listened to a broader range of music and bothered to experiment he could have unleashed something really powerful and interesting. Personally, I thought 'Everlong' as the best track on the Clour and the Shape album.

And on the subject of Northern Bands I'd like to say that The Stone Roses were, Are still one of the most overrated bands ever!

speedy, stop reading nme, stop watching mtv. have a go at some good websites like epitonic and pitchfork and you'll see there's plenty o' really good stuff out there.

badda-bing, I was thinking the same thing

actually I was thinking how Speedy is like a one man walking Select magazine with his pointless but contaversiol sounding posts like these

"Golden Age"

what was other one... "Is pop stealing rock!!"

jesus Select magazine were forever at that crap

badda-bing, I was thinking the same thing

actually I was thinking how Speedy is like a one man walking Select magazine with his pointless but contaversiol sounding posts like these

"Golden Age"

what was other one... "Is pop stealing rock!!"

jesus Select magazine were forever at that crap

I don't read NME or Select or any of that crap. I obviously come from a completely different musical background than you or Conor. Thats not bad its interesting. Also I mentioned the Foos coz I was listening to their new album and thought it sounded very 2 dimensional. The whole reason I started this post was to talk about new bands trying to meld different genres together, that doesn't mean they are trying to be psychedelic. Just broad minded.

And Pantone you're so right. I love the controversy so much, yeah I do, I rub it all over my chest and roll around on the floor drooling when I get a bit of controversy.!ironyyy

At least I'm talking about music. Whats the whole point of this website if not to talk about music?

Last time there was a golden age was when Midas was about.

That's Midas the band by the way. Metal band... from York.

ok, but these are just personal opinions.

mainly, golden age me hole. there's always been plenty of good music out there, sometimes you just gotta look harder. at the moment there's a general sway back to guitar based music and more sedate and easily accessible electronica but in the end alot of it is music for the masses and not progressive. this can be ok in the case of the white stripes, the strokes, lemonjelly etc. but it's the copycat bands and the scramble by the big companies to release similar stuff that is disgusting..........

You have no idea what kind of music I have in my collection so stop making assumptions based on the list I made. Just coz I was talking about those groups it doesn't mean I love them all. I'm a bigger fan of Stevie Wonder, David Bowie, Brian Wilson, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley and Ry Cooder more than anything. I didn't mention these Artsists coz they're old.

Stone Roses were important yes. But they aren't responsible for the best albums of all time. An honour which is bestowed upon them every now and again. Which is absolute Bollox!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back