Irish "tour circuit" (3 Viewers)

GARYXKNIFEDX

Solutions
Website
Visit site
Ok,after seeing the other thread about van hire in europe and having just toure england. I got thinking. Why do bands usually only play 3 gigs at most when they play ireland? Surely a regular circuit could be sorted and irish tours could be more common and more financially viable. What about van hire? backline etc? Do most places have local bands who would lend a "good" backline? I'm talking about decent amps heads and cabs etc. I think it could be quite a good thing. And I know it's all very busy with gigs etc,but wouldnt it be nice to invite bands that lots of us like to play and be able to make it worthwhile? What do you all think? Maybe an irish book your own life type affair? Maybe it could be tied in with Niall's gig list?

seems lately that a lot of people/places arent doing so many gigs anymore, like cork, limerick, galway (although there are still a few), but at the same time theres a lot of new places where gigs can happen, eg charleville, ballina, etc etc. i doubt bands in most places have a decent backline, that seems pretty standard for irish bands.
as well there are seemingly tons of places for gigs up north. you always read about them at metalireland.com and andrew dangerfield seems to send his bands to those kinda places as well, eg portrush, ballymoney, derry, etc..

maybe i'm being pessimistic here but as far as i can see the "scene" in this country is in total decline, there is more division than ever between "punk" and "indie" in dublin and there are actually fuck all decent bands (though kilcoole kind of balances it out). as well a lot of people who used to go to gigs regularly have either left the country or just arent into it anymore. and theres a few people who have been doing gigs around ireland for years who arent doing so much any more.
at least there are starting to be loads of zines again, but at the same time hardly any of them write about music or provide a forum where irish DIY bands can get exposure.

Maybe its a matter of the certain collectives around Ireland pulling more tightly together?

Whos in Kilcoole, Cork & Galway these days?And the Midlands area?Here in Limerick The Amc are still going..getting more active in fact.
I`m just hoping bands might get more into playing down in my homeland of Kerry.
Great fuckin scenery, greeeat fuckin scenery i can tell you.
Maybe bands should get a gig trade thing going on!

collectives are definitly the way forward, not too sure how tight they should get though, i think that sometimes when you are always having meetings, etc, people get too bogged down in stupid issues and invalid points that people may raise, when really you dont have to sit around all day discussing doing a gig, you just get out there and do it!!
you're a DIY promoter now eamo, make it happen for kerry!

Galway is still active. Nothing is Sacred/averus last week, clergy/tbyhid next week, Fuktifino/? the next, sug/zilla after that, hero dishonest after that.....

Its usually the metal bands with the decent gear but they tend be up tight bout lending their drumkit etc. Broken leads and stolen mic stands doesn't help the situation.

The whole gig circuit seems like a great idea. But what if Damo, Glynn, Daniel, Bob, Albert, Kilcoole and Leo (and who ever else is actively involved in organising shows) decide to go on holiday or are a little ill. Is somebody going to be behind them to take over?
But yeah, a 5+ day tour seems to make more sense than 3 days...

Even in a small place like galway there is a huge difference between the people who come to the metal gigs and the punk shows. Obviously metal is more popular overall than punk but you still see most of the punk heads at the metal gigs....of course that doesn't apply to metal heads attending punk shows.

2 cool 2 dance said:
Galway is still active. Nothing is Sacred/averus last week, clergy/tbyhid next week, Fuktifino/? the next, sug/zilla after that, hero dishonest after that.....

Its usually the metal bands with the decent gear but they tend be up tight bout lending their drumkit etc. Broken leads and stolen mic stands doesn't help the situation.

The whole gig circuit seems like a great idea. But what if Damo, Glynn, Daniel, Bob, Albert, Kilcoole and Leo (and who ever else is actively involved in organising shows) decide to go on holiday or are a little ill. Is somebody going to be behind them to take over?
But yeah, a 5+ day tour seems to make more sense than 3 days...

Even in a small place like galway there is a huge difference between the people who come to the metal gigs and the punk shows. Obviously metal is more popular overall than punk but you still see most of the punk heads at the metal gigs....of course that doesn't apply to metal heads attending punk shows.
yeah it's a good idea but between college, work, playing in bands and general life stuff [for me anyway]... i dont think people should feel obliged to do shows if it's not convenient or they aren't into it. on the other hand the idea of a functioning circuit is a good one... but if a few shows keep losing money for the promoter it cpuld all fall on its arse.

Sadly i spend more time in Limerick than my homeland:( so ....i`m pretty much a foreigner in my own town when i go home.

I just want to get Knifed down here to play!(that sentence reads different also - i don`t want to get Knifed as in stabbed by the way)
I`m a DIY promotor?I have`nt got half a clue though - feeling my way through the dark or something..
i`m not in any Collective or anything - i just see gigs in Cork - and the limerick collective has`nt got a clue its on!Or a Limerick gig that leaves Cork or Galway out of the circuit.
I know Galway had venue problems -and i think the Cork collective fell apat for a bit?
I think its to do with certain people/promotors/collectives having different tastes and wanting to put on bands they are into - so if they don`t like Hardcore - they won`t put em on.
The punk scene is pretty bad down here - non existant even...we need to start building bridges people!!

Some kind of up to date listing of people who want to and can actually organise gigs in Ireland is probably long overdue. If there was a half decent backline available in every town it would also be a lot easier to bring bands over to tour on cheap flights (just bringing instruments , cymbals etc). I think it's important for bands to be fed and housed properly also - too often a neglected concern which does affect the perceptions of a touring band, particularly in comparison to mainland Europe.

In Belfast, getting a venue at the moment is a major hassle - so much going on and so many pubs have regular nights which they will not deviate from...a plague of singer/songwriters every other night of the week it seems! On a related note, getting our own building simply isn't feasible given numbers and the cost of premises at the moment - so no new Warzone in the forseeable future.

A consistent gig circuit would be cool but when you're at the mercy of pubs and landlords who can cancel you at a moments notice, or simply not give you the opportunity in the first place it'shard to establish. Fingers crossed things improve...

scrawlzine said:
Some kind of up to date listing of people who want to and can actually organise gigs in Ireland is probably long overdue.

A consistent gig circuit would be cool but when you're at the mercy of pubs and landlords who can cancel you at a moments notice, or simply not give you the opportunity in the first place it'shard to establish. Fingers crossed things improve...
I reckon it cant be impossible to do up to 10 gigs in ireland. I know it would take a lot of work but....y'know? anyway the backline thing is definately an issue. It costs a lot sometimes to bring amp heads on those cheap flights. What about renting? Anyone know about that? although it probably works out more expensive. Also if a list was about at least if a gig fell through the promoter could refer to it and see who to get in touch with because the reality is any band would be unlikely to do more than 5 gigs in ireland anyway.

actually DEUNGA want to come over here from december 28th to january 5th and do as many gigs as possible in the country ... so im trying to organise someone to drive em now..some gear for em to use etc etc ...

has anyone got a list of whos puttin on gigs where in ireland at the minute ... would be interested.

i was about to say the same, what about some shade of sticky thread with contact crap for promotors all over the country. I know ive got maybe 3 or 4 for gigs outside dublin?
What about a list of the county with names and numbers under em

gar

bombidol said:
i was about to say the same, what about some shade of sticky thread with contact crap for promotors all over the country. I know ive got maybe 3 or 4 for gigs outside dublin?
What about a list of the county with names and numbers under em

gar
Something like that would be handy,but how long before it gets filled with the usual bullshit? Also,as with any list it would date. And i'm sure not all the people who would be willing to put on gigs use this forum. I do reckon an online list would be handy,again but,it would work best if as people dropped out for whatever reason they got taken off the list. After I pretty much stopped doing gigs in belfast I still got tons of bands getting in touch asking. I almost felt guilty not doing the gigs. So who's going to be brave enough to look after that?

yeah it would be useless if people could reply to it cause it'd fill up with bolloxs in 5 minutes. have to be a sticky somewhere where punters cant reply and it would have to be updated all the time. I could put it on the 20BE forum possibly and look after it. BUT! we'd have to get permission from promoters too though if we were gonna put their numbers online for all to see wouldnt we? Id be pissed if my phone number was plastered all over the place (though i think it is)

bombidol said:
yeah it would be useless if people could reply to it cause it'd fill up with bolloxs in 5 minutes. have to be a sticky somewhere where punters cant reply and it would have to be updated all the time. I could put it on the 20BE forum possibly and look after it. BUT! we'd have to get permission from promoters too though if we were gonna put their numbers online for all to see wouldnt we? Id be pissed if my phone number was plastered all over the place (though i think it is)
I reckon at most email addresses. but yes permission would be needed.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I reckon at most email addresses. but yes permission would be needed.
Alternatively a look at this. Sene me your email addresses and I'll update it. The addresses I have used are all in the public domain so permission isn't needed in these cases. Oh yeah here's the link www.thumped.com/hope/RptPromoterDetails.html

leo, the my remorse boyos and occasionally us (rev of a sun) put on gigs but you got to bear in mind that we have venue problems and to get a decent crowd to a gig in cork requires alot of work, too much to be doing it for a gig every month....
leo will only handle bands that he knows of or else he does it as a favour to other people and he has been the most successful organiser for hardcore gigs in recent memory....
but alas he's takig a break from it at the moment....

ian bastardcore said:
actually DEUNGA want to come over here from december 28th to january 5th and do as many gigs as possible in the country ... so im trying to organise someone to drive em now..some gear for em to use etc etc ... [\QUOTE]

Really? These are fuckin deadly, playing here next weekend, you should totally get 'em over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back