Irish Times front page (1 Viewer)

They seem to like this type of shot.
A topical subject with a clever message delivered by some nearby signage.

frontpageimage.jpg

that's a cruel image. i can understand why a photographer would take it, but not why an editor would put it on the front page of a national newspaper.

Hmm, I'd almost say exactly the opposite, given the remove the editor has from the subject.

the photographer, presumably, saw a potential visual pun which made for a neat image.

the editor is the one who chose to put this on the front of the paper -- to contextualise it.

i'm assuming that none of us know the guy in the photo, but here we are talking about him on the internet. we're doing that because of a decision made by the editor, not the photographer. if anyone assaulted this guy's dignity, it was the editor more than the photographer.

it's hardly the most extreme example, but in this context, it is a cruel image.

the photographer, presumably, saw a potential visual pun which made for a neat image.

the editor is the one who chose to put this on the front of the paper -- to contextualise it.

i'm assuming that none of us know the guy in the photo, but here we are talking about him on the internet. we're doing that because of a decision made by the editor, not the photographer. if anyone assaulted this guy's dignity, it was the editor more than the photographer.

it's hardly the most extreme example, but in this context, it is a cruel image.

Well, one would assume that the man's permission was asked and given.

I'm pretty sure once your in a public space, photos can be taken without permission once you are an adult. Therefore I very much doubt permission was asked

I'm pretty sure once your in a public space, photos can be taken without permission once you are an adult. Therefore I very much doubt permission was asked

This is true. No legal obligation in such a situation ... but you could argue there a "moral" one ...

Actually I should add ... there is no "once you are an adult" about it. There is nothing in the law stopping you taking photos of children in a public place either.

Actually I should add ... there is no "once you are an adult" about it. There is nothing in the law stopping you taking photos of children in a public place either.

Really? thats interesting. We held alot of intregrated sports events and always have to get permission slips signed from parents. Anywork I've done with kids and photography has always required permission.

How is it defined that you dont do you know? just that you have to be in a public space. I mean we could have said the football club we used was a public space as it was funded through public funds

Would it not be more probable for a paper like the Times to operate in a more ethical manner than just sticking to the minimum the law requires?
Wouldn't there some policy of getting some names to go with the 'art'? If not for permission then at least for follow up.

Would it not be more probable for a paper like the Times to operate in a more ethical manner than just sticking to the minimum the law requires?
Wouldn't there some policy of getting some names to go with the 'art'? If not for permission then at least for follow up.

That would be in an ideal world. But art can always be perceived as having extra mystery when the identity is unknown. I mean what do we know about Mona Lisa? There's the added extra of using your imagination

Really? thats interesting. We held alot of intregrated sports events and always have to get permission slips signed from parents. Anywork I've done with kids and photography has always required permission.

How is it defined that you dont do you know? just that you have to be in a public space. I mean we could have said the football club we used was a public space as it was funded through public funds
it'd be part of your organisational guidelines to cover against pissed off parents rather then for legal reasons. parents wont feel comfortable with you if you put kids photos up without letting them know. had a lot of trouble with this when i was working for crisis pregnancy, some parents weren't all that keen on having their kids pics on a booklet about teenage pregnacies, who would have thought it??

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back