pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
So.

Anyone else see the article on the Irish / Dublin music scene in the Irish Times magazine today?

Who'd have thought Matty Bolger would make it onto the front pageof the Times. Crazy.

yes... it seems curiously leagues-and-friction-p.r.-centric... funny that. sawboss will confirm that the first thing i said was "what? no thumped?" - it seemed a little incongruous, and more than a little unfair... also no mention of hope collective, or even, for that matter, thingsyouremissing. still, cool that people are finally starting to notice, and i like the way they twisted the knife in hot press's ribs...:)

One of the things I found quite odd was the fact that they had Matty on the front page of the newspaper and used a two page photo of the redneck manifesto in the article, and yet they didn't actually speak to them.

pete (09 Mar, 2002 11:13 p.m.):
One of the things I found quite odd was the fact that they had Matty on the front page of the newspaper and used a two page photo of the redneck manifesto in the article, and yet they didn't actually speak to them.

Yes that was very odd/

Not a bad article - that HP jibe was great

hello everybody ... it's time to come out of lurking

add my two centSSSS

I thought the irish times article was a brilliant sign for the scene that's going on. uno major victory

and who cares if they didnt mention the rednecks in the actual article, the fact that they got a two page spread all to themselves in the times is a pretty good achievement, right? right?

yer right tho, tis a pity that thumped and/or things wasnt mentioned

anyways, i'll go crawl back into the hole fromst whenst i camst from

i think the article was certainly flawed in some ways perhaps, but you got the sense that the guy who wrote it was genuinely interested in what was going on and not just being like, "look at these nuts" like it usually is..
there was a lot left out in terms of resources and whatnot but it was cool to see it in there.. even up to a year ago it would not have happened...
diarmuid mcdiarmuida said it best with the "time of grace" thing.. Dublin really is a very healthy place to be right now for everybody involved in creation of art... it's thanks to thumped and things and the bands and as long as the ego stays well out of it, i think that it will continue to grow and prosper to the M-A-X boss...

I think the big flaw was all the bits with Glen Hansard. Especially where he was warbling some crap about the Cranberries... I mean huh?? Glen wake up, its 2002, get over it already.

I really dislike how he has become 'rent-a-quote' for the Irish indie thing, he has nothing in common with most of the bands i can think of and just seems to warble on about how hard it was for him to be signed to a major label way back when, rather then adressing what is really happening in the real world (in oppose to the makey up world in his head where he is constantly tormented and stalked by major labels and the cranberries it would seem...spacer)

also 'The Commitments'

I rest my case.

The other bits of the article were quite good, so huzzah to all except The Glen

The magazine isn't on their site. If i get a chance i'll scan & OCR it tomorrow in work.

pete (09 Mar, 2002 09:07 p.m.):

Who'd have thought Matty Bolger would make it onto the front pageof the Times. Crazy.

i won't be happy til the boy is on the front of Cosmo.

decent enough article.

thought the line "There are, sadly, no great photographs" was a bit strange though.

also don't really like the idea that any previous bands (none were mentioned specifically, but i presume they were referring to jackbeast, the null set etc...) were just stepping stones or a waste of time because they mightn't have got the same exposure as current incarnations.

i was surprised/happy to see the whole thing while flickin through the magazine though.

... it's thanks to thumped and things and the bands and as long as the ego stays well out of it, i think that it will continue to grow and prosper to the M-A-X boss...[/quote]

Hypocrite, thought it was very egotistical of you to place the microphone stand right in the way of my beautiful face in the 2 pagephoto.good thing i have a big chin.

i particularly liked the bit about the way the frames setting up their own label prompted loads of other people to follow suit. that was my favourite bit.
why the fuck were the frames even talked to? what bearing have they had on any of the 'cool' stuff that's happened here over the past 3/4 years? what have they done to promote the scene the article was about? answer = sweet fuck all! the rest of it was very good to see but hansard was quizzled for around 3/4 of the whole thing!

Anonymous Coward said(11 Mar, 2002 04:32 p.m.):
i particularly liked the bit about the way the frames...etc

Well you obviously have enough respect for his influence that you hide behind the "Anonymous Coward" bush while you chuck stones at him.

snakybus (11 Mar, 2002 04:48 p.m.):
Well you obviously have enough respect for his influence that you hide behind the "Anonymous Coward" bush while you chuck stones at him.

hehehe - the anonymous coward needs a waxing if it's ever going to appear in non-european art magazines.

glen-bashing

yeah, it was more like an interview with glen hansard than an 'expose' on the underground scene.
but i think it was the angle the writer was coming from rather than what hansard actually said himself.

they did need a recognizable name in there somewhere... a starting point for regular Joe Punter.

i didn't understand that whole 'cranberries not reaching out to us' thing in the slightest.

That said, when we (the coldspoon conspiracy) ran into glen hansard at a songs:eek:hia gig in chicago during the summer, the guy had us driven round the city, brought us to the best bars, bought us all beer, arranged for us to go see The Breeders 'recording' in Electrical Audio + gave us a contact number to get tickets for the long-sold-out Fugazi/Shellac/The Ex gig.

why?
i've no idea

so even if that's all he ever does for the 'independent' dublin music scene, i'll be happy.

he's been a champion bloke to me too but the frames were not relevant in that article! the article was supposedly about something the frames have had precious little to do with or have had precious little input into... that is all i am saying and it's correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back