Irish Punk History (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter tml
  • Start date
  • Replies 68
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 5
GARYXKNIFEDX said:
there have been tons of people calling themselves straight edge over the years,however you may be refering to people who are still straight edge?

on a similar note.....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=31oJ55VSEU0
yeah, i'm talking about people who stuck with it. seriously, i can think of:
-circle again (i don't know if john and melanie even live in ireland any more, and i don't know if tadhg is still nailed to the proverbial..nothing would surprise me with him. hornby's the only one i'm sure of)
-you (and i don't know if you identify yourself as straight edge or just happen not to drink and smoke)
-bushie (ditto)
-john perrem who was in half mast.

have there been any overtly straight edge bands other than circle again?

Super Dexta said:
yeah, i'm talking about people who stuck with it. seriously, i can think of:
-circle again (i don't know if john and melanie even live in ireland any more, and i don't know if tadhg is still nailed to the proverbial..nothing would surprise me with him)
-you (and i don't know if you identify yourself as straight edge or just happen not to drink and smoke)
-bushie (ditto)
-john perrem who was in half mast.

have there been any overtly straight edge bands other than circle again?

I know of a few more,Phil for one,but doubt most of themwould describe themselves as straight edge. I do indeed consider myself straight edge,but not whatever the hell the current take on it is.
Tadgh hasd been spotted with a pipe I believe.

spuded said:
surely some of those 200 strong lads were sxe, and there have been one ro two others on verges of t'edge, sure im practically t'edge myself :p
aaaahahahahaaa, how could i forget 2000 strong? probably the only edger in them was the lad who moved to america to be a tattoo artist though. and maybe the other singer.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I know of a few more,Phil for one,but doubt most of themwould describe themselves as straight edge. I do indeed consider myself straight edge,but not whatever the hell the current take on it is.
Tadgh hasd been spotted with a pipe I believe.
oh and conor whatshisname who used live in india street, he's probably still True.
there's definitely a theme emerging here with regards to location.

Super Dexta said:
oh and conor whatshisname who used live in india street, he's probably still True.
there's definitely a theme emerging here with regards to location.

He's in london now isn't he?

Rimbaud said:
I still have`nt got that book:mad:

Where can it be got?

not sure,but it was pressed by Reekus,you could probably order it in. It's honestly one of the best put together books on punk ever.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I know of a few more,Phil for one,but doubt most of themwould describe themselves as straight edge..

Damn i still remember the gorgeous veggie food i had at phils - i was pretty hungary though..but it WAS pretty damn good.
Any evidence that veggies cook better???I think so!

Rimbaud said:
I thought this was goin to be for abook or something!The last 20yrs of Irish punk...or something.
Theres no books on irish punk over the last 2 decades is there?
There is a book called 'Document, A Story of Hope' that has been published by soft skull press in the States under the name Please Feed Me. That one's about the gigs that Hope Promotions/Collective put on in Dublin between 87 and 99. It's not a definitive guide to punk in dublin but it is part of the jigsaw of the time. more info from www.thumped.com/hope

niallmc said:
There is a book called 'Document, A Story of Hope' that has been published by soft skull press in the States under the name Please Feed Me. That one's about the gigs that Hope Promotions/Collective put on in Dublin between 87 and 99. It's not a definitive guide to punk in dublin but it is part of the jigsaw of the time. more info from www.thumped.com/hope
I feel kinda stupid now. Ooops.

niallmc said:
no worries gary! you're not the only one who has forgotten it!!

I always forget that loads of irish bands contributed,It's too easy to remember all the international bands from it. That's still not remotely an excuse though.

yeah Aidan is tattooing in NY and he still is straight edge, Anto is in Italy but is no longer (was for 7 years or so). I've been 12 years

Super Dexta said:
aaaahahahahaaa, how could i forget 2000 strong? probably the only edger in them was the lad who moved to america to be a tattoo artist though. and maybe the other singer.

niallmc said:

Haha plug plug plug!

Anyway, Tadhg is not straightedge anymore, the rest of Circle Again however do still live in Belfast and are all still straightedge.
At the very least there's also Phil, Conor, Chris, and myself who are all still straightedge.
There's a good few in Dublin too, like Gary now, Shay, Steo I think, some others too as far as I'm aware.
And no doubt theres one or two in Cork.
There's at least 1 in Shannon of all places.
So yeah there's people about everywhere, although mainly Belfast alright!
Doubt there's any in Galway though, bunch of alcos!

Rimbaud said:
Damn i still remember the gorgeous veggie food i had at phils - i was pretty hungary though..but it WAS pretty damn good.
Any evidence that veggies cook better???I think so!

can't even recall what I cooked that day!! its usually the Thai curry that bands rave about, wait til next time mr Rimbaud and I'll whip up a vegan cheesecake for ya.

Tadhg did fall in a amazing way though, by far the funniest change of lifestyle I have ever seen. still a decent guy albeit a very crazy one.

I would say I was straight edge but as a label it means little to the world outside punk rock. Cormac says I'm not straight edge but fuck him!

Conor is in london until June. that guy will always be straight edge.

Tadhg knows some youngish guy (20) from Dundalk who is SXE.

Cormcolash said:
Haha plug plug plug!

Anyway, Tadhg is not straightedge anymore, the rest of Circle Again however do still live in Belfast and are all still straightedge.
At the very least there's also Phil, Conor, Chris, and myself who are all still straightedge.
There's a good few in Dublin too, like Gary now, Shay, Steo I think, some others too as far as I'm aware.
And no doubt theres one or two in Cork.
There's at least 1 in Shannon of all places.
So yeah there's people about everywhere, although mainly Belfast alright!
Doubt there's any in Galway though, bunch of alcos!
so about eight then.

niallmc said:

Have it!Nearly forgot meself:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back