Black Sun presents: Dec 6th -BORBETOMAGUS,Thomas Ankersmit,Usurper,workshops + exhib. (1 Viewer)

Wölflinge

Website
www.vickylangan.com
arttrail_logo.png

ArtTrail Festival 2010: Multiple Endings
November 19th - December 5th 2010
Cork City, Ireland

ArtTrail, an annual festival of contemporary artistic practice, facilitates and supports site-specific and site-responsive projects in the Cork City area. It offers the context and support for artists of all disciplines to develop and present work outside their normal studio practice; and brings the audience into direct contact with the work, the artists and the making process. The festival aims to be aware of and responsive to its location, without being solely defined by it.
Following from 2009's theme of "Rediscovering Locality", in 2010 ArtTrail is working with a theme of "Multiple Endings".

AC_FUND_VisualArts-sm.png

Earlier this summer Arttrail approached Black Sun to curate the grand finale of their 2010 festival. I'm thrilled to announce that this (Monday) December 6th, we'll be hosting Borbetomagus for their debut Irish performance. Also on the line up is Dutch
saxophonist Thomas Ankersmit and Edinburgh's finest, Usurper.
There will be an art exhibition of work by Malcy Duff (Ursurper) and workshops in both comic book drawing/storytelling techniques (led by Malcy Duff) and one in dismantling instruments and improvisation (led by Malcy Duff and Ali Robertson)

Borbetomagus-concert.jpg

Borbetomagus

A 30-year history has proven Borbetomagus to be a groundbreaking, seminal, and visionary group. The trio crafted a huge mass of incendiary sound ("noise") that went far beyond anything previously heard. They formed in New York in the late 1970’s at the time that radical punk rock, no-wave, free jazz, and downtown "new music" were all changing the way people heard sound. But Borbetomagus stood on its own, chiseling out an unlikely noise that separated it from what was being heard in those other scenes. The unusual instrumentation (two amplified saxophones and an electric guitar) reveals inspiration from free jazz and underground rock. But more direct sources may be the extremes of minimalism, 20th century composition and abstract art. Borbetomagus sculpt a massive wall of sound that can seem cacophonous and impenetrable on one hand, while rhythmic and beautifully textured on the other. Their 30-year dedication to this vision calls to mind great abstractionists such as Mark Rothko who spent a lifetime grappling with the intensity of a monumental and personal form. Standing on their own at the time of their inception, Borbetomagus went on to inspire everyone from Sonic Youth to Merzbow to a whole genre of music ("Noise") that would become an international force almost 15 years later. Borbetomagus is active on the festival circuit in Europe and Japan.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

artist_36.jpg

Thomas Ankersmit

Thomas Ankersmit is a 25 year old saxophonist, electronic musician and installation artist born and raised in the Netherlands and now based in Berlin who combines abstract, intensely focused saxophone playing with hyper-kinetic analogue synth and PowerBook improvisation. He also creates installation pieces that use sound, infrasound and "modifications to the acoustic characters of spaces" that disrupt the viewer/listener's perception of the exhibition space and their presence within it. He's a frequent collaborator with New York minimalist Phill Niblock and Milan-based electroacoustic improviser Giuseppe Ielasi, and other improv partners include Gert-Jan Prins, Thomas Lehn, Keith Rowe, Kevin Drumm and Axel Dörner.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

33549_10150299914915273_785170272_15123771_5097382_n.jpg

Usurper

Usurper are Ali Robertson and Malcy Duff. Together they have been making improvised sound from dismantled instruments for the past 7 years. They have toured all over Britain, Europe and America. Usurper recently completed a residency in Helsinki, Finland, where they performed, hosted workshops, and created the exhibition "You're A Winner." They are currently completing their second LP for Rel Records, and recording new material for a full length CD to be released by Intransitive Recordings in 2011.

4841358281_cdefe01d7c.jpg

Black Sun presents: Art exhibition by Malcy Duff.
Malcy Duff (b.1978) is a cartoonist from Edinburgh, Scotland. His work includes 'The Blackest Gnome,' 'The Heroic Mosh of Mary's Son,' the 'Rrobots' anthology, and 'The Caddy.' He has exhibited all over Britain, and in Melbourne Australia, and in 2008 he was awarded a Donald Dewar Arts Award for outstanding work in the comic book form. In 2003 he co-founded Usurper with Ali Robertson. They have toured throughout Britain, Europe and America. Duff continues to collaborate with Robertson, and contributes artwork for posters and album sleeves, including a cover and comic book set for their recent LP on Rel Records.
http://www.missingtwin.net/

Malcy%20Duff%20Missing%20Twin%20original%20comics%20art.jpg

mhairi.jpg

More to come so stay tuned. x

Re: Black Sun presents: Dec 6th -BORBETOMAGUS,Thomas Ankersmit,Usurper,workshops + ex

incapacitants-lon-guy-harbinger-sound.jpg

high five!

said it many times before but borbetomagus are hands down the best live band i've ever seen. i'm a huge fan of the records but nothing comes close to the live show

Re: Black Sun presents: Dec 6th -BORBETOMAGUS,Thomas Ankersmit,Usurper,workshops + ex

Black Sun at the Pavilion presents:

Borbetomagus
Thomas Ankersmit
Usurper
Experimental film programme of work by Stéphane Marti -curated by Maximilian Le Cain.
Vegan cakes from Sugar Moon.

Monday 6th December
8PM
Tickets €14

Tickets from Plugd Records and also from Former Sawmills Site, Copley Street.

SPECIAL OFFER: Gig + 1 workshop = €20
Gig + 2 workshops = €25

smarti.jpg

EXPERIMENTAL FILM PROGRAMME curated by MAXIMILIAN LE CAIN

For the first time, Black Sun is devoting its entire film programme to the work of a single artist, veteran French filmmaker Stéphane Marti.

Although little known to Irish audiences, Marti has been active since the early ‘70s, creating a sumptuous yet intimate series of baroque, homoerotic cinematic gems on Super-8 that focus on the relationship between the camera and the body. His gracefully intoxicating sense of colour, rhythm, movement, composition and texture is of a force that far outstrips even the more widely recognized work of Derek Jarman.

Two of Marti’s films will be screened at the December Black Sun:

Allegoria (14 mins, 1979) Dating from the first phase of Marti’s career, this “true concerto for body and camera [that] celebrates the worship of Eros” employs dance, elaborate make-up, water and body paint in its dynamically sensuous ‘ritual’.

Mira Corpora (45 mins, 2004) This dazzling and hypnotic homage to Murnau’s Nosferatu (1922) represents an indisputable peak in cinema’s exploration of the meeting, and melting, of light and the human body.

An exponent of the Super-8 format, Marti has been compared to a jeweller for the finesse with which he works his miniature medium. He has said:

“How cinema approaches the body is the most stimulating challenge that I know. I’ve given form and light to a filmed body / filming body repertoire which has developed thanks to the lightness of the cameras I use and to the instinctive exchanges I’ve established with my ‘actors’ in the infinite palette of relations of desire: attraction, repulsion, fear, hysteria, ecstasy, pleasure, sweetness, etc. Artifice, theatricality, lyricism always reinject energy into the game… I place the body like a jewel in its box, a precious object trapped in an enclosed space, and attack it from all sides with my camera…”

----------------------------------------------------------------
VEGAN CAKES FROM SUGAR MOON

Cork based made-to-order vegan desserts company will be on site selling delicious cupcakes, cake and raw chocolate treats.
Look up 'Sugar Moon Cork' on Facebook.

Black Sun is a space where the adventurous can gather, whatever their musical preference, to find something new, strange and fantastic; a space where the experimental is not something clique-ish for the afficionado, but precisely the opposite – an opening of possibility.

Black Sun is honoured to have been invited to curate the grand finale of this year's Art Trail festival in Cork. This show would not have been possible but for the assistance of Art Trail, the Cork Film Centre and The Arts Council. Thanks also to the Pavilion and Plugd.

Visit: http://blacksuncork.tumblr.com

x

ps. Specials with Art Trail + Sheila's Hostel in Cork during the festival. 3 nights for the price of two. If you get organised, you can book a cheap train down south, or a €1 bus ticket from the west and come see what the fuss has been about...

Should be amazing!

SHANE! Are you serious? I'd love if you would!! I'd love to see you!! You can stay with us if you like!

l_333ee2e40600bbee0645bacdcde140da.jpg

Visit the Art Trail website: http://www.arttrail.ie/ for detail on the two Black Sun workshops that take place on Sunday 5th December.
WORKSHOPS: DEC 5 - FORMER SAWMILLS, COPLEY ST.
9.30 am - 1.15pm: comic drawing workshop with Malcy Duff (Usurper, missingtwin.net),
1.30 - 5.30pm: junk instrument workshop with Malcy Duff & Ali Robertson (Usurper);
**WORKSHOPS LIMITED TO 8 PLACES EACH.
€8, BOOK AT FORMER SAWMILLS FROM NOV 19
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**EXHIBITION: throughout ArtTrail - FORMER SAWMILLS
Exhibition of comix by Malcy Duff (Usurper) [/URL]
johnnycash.jpg

there's a great borbeto interview here for anyone interested ... http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine/interviews/borbetomagus.html

Don Dietrich said:
In 1985 I was in Colorado Springs, which is really tiny city if you know it, and at this point my life is totally focussed on finding weird record stores and buying weird records. I'm a weird record maggot. I'm going in every record store in Colorado Springs and it's all mainstream. I keep asking, is there any record store around that sells weird records? Oh you gotta go to this one.. I finally find this little hole-in-the-wall record store, way the fuck outta town, it's got like Syd Barrett picture discs and I'm like, oh finally! I spend an hour going through this store and I'm just not finding what I want, so I go up to the counter and say, excuse me, what is the weirdest record in this whole store? And they all look at each other without saying a word and he reaches under the counter and he pulls out our black album! I said, no shit! That's me! (laughs) I mean it wasn't even for sale, they didn't want to put it out!

ha!

and a thomas ankersmit interview ... http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine/interviews/ankersmit.html

also, two nice paris transatlantic reviews by dan warburton, one for thomas ankersmit/jim o'rourke split lp and one for borbetomagus snuff jazz cd reissue ...

Dan Warburton said:
Thomas Ankersmit / Jim O' Rourke
WEERZIN / OSCILLATORS AND GUITARS
Tochnit Aleph

Not a collaboration but a split LP released last October featuring Berlin-based saxophonist / electronician Thomas Ankersmit and Jim O'Rourke, who Ankersmit first crossed paths with when he was an exchange student in New York in 1999 (though they have numerous friends / playing partners in common, including Kevin Drumm and Günter Müller). The cover photograph by Alexandra Leykauf shows a sailor staring at a tangle of ropes and cables dredged up on the deck of a ship, as if wondering how he'd ever unravel them, and it's a rather appropriate image for both the people behind the Tochnit Aleph label and Ankersmit himself, neither being exactly forthcoming with information. Ankersmit's "Weerzin" is 18'42" of superbly tense yet tensile electronic music (true, saxophone is credited in the instrumentation along with computer, Serge and EMS synthesizers, but Ankersmit's sax never sounded like a sax in the first place), a tingle of inscrutable but rather wonderful high frequency information gradually settling into a drone of mounting intensity. To complement it, the deckhands at Tochnit Aleph have landed another fine catch of hitherto unreleased O'Rourke back catalogue (seems there's still plenty to trawl in, and if it's all as good as this and the Headz CD reviewed here last month we're in for a treat) in the form of "Oscillators and Guitars", which dates from 1992. It's the kind of rock solid power drone plus guitar shimmer that made it to Alan Licht's fabled Minimalist Top Ten, and could sit happily on your shelves next to Licht's own Sink The Aging Process. Needless to say, it hasn't aged a bit, either. Excellent stuff, strongly recommended.

http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine/monthly2006/02feb_text.html#11

Dan Warburton said:
Borbetomagus
SNUFF JAZZ
Agaric

Two of these four tracks, "ABC" and "DC", recorded in the ABC No Rio performance space in New York's Lower East Side on November 24th 1988, were previously available on an LP of the same name, another ("BBC") made it to a 1990 cassette accompanying an obscure Japanese fanzine, and one, "CBC", is released here for the first time. Hardcore Borbeto fans will, no doubt, already have followed the instructions in Michael Hanke's liner notes to the letter – "remove all other living critters from the house, pour yourself a double single-malt scotch, turn the volume of your stereo to TWELVE, and enjoy as your ears are acid-etched" – and those of you who have never had the, erm, pleasure of experiencing Snuff Jazz are strongly urged to do likewise. What's that? You don't drink whisky? You bloody well will when hear this. Superlatives abound in the Borbeto universe, but for my money this could be the nastiest thing they've ever done, maybe because there's very little low end from Donald Miller's guitar to balance the upper register fingernails-on-blackboard screech of Jim Sauter and Don Dietrich's saxophones. At tweeter-shredding volume, listening becomes truly painful. Has it really been 20 years since this rabid, screaming vicious monster was unleashed on humanity? It hasn't aged a bit. But good single malt has, so find yourself a 20-year-old bottle and raise a glass.

http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine/monthly2009/05may_text.html#8

edit: you can listen to/download the original snuff jazz lp tracks on ubuweb ... http://www.ubu.com/sound/borbetomagus.html

4th4thspread.jpg

To anyone attending the Usurper or Malcy Duff workshop tomorrow, dress warmly and bring something to eat. There is a kettle at the venue.
Still places left for comic drawing workshop and for instrument dismantling workshop. Contact me, Vicky Langan on FB or via email: high.infidelity (AT) gmail.com
Malcy's starts at 9.30am, Usurper at 1.30pm :: Former Sawmills Site near the School of Music (CIT). Just show up if you haven't registered and really want to take part. Bring an instrument you're not too precious about if doing the workshop with Usurper. Special rates for Borbetomagus gig if attending workshop. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back