ipod/iriver repair (1 Viewer)

not sure, depends what's wrong with 'em I suppose. I got an iPod last christmess as a present and it's giving me so much fucking grief. I ended up in a rage stamping the shit out of it on saturday. it still works despite my best efforts. they're a lot tougher that they look. except for the battery. which fucking sucks ass. my iPod is a piece of shit and I hate it. :mad:

to answer your question: apple store? I'm sure they'd know either way..

I had some problems with my Mini-iPod when the battery was totally flat. I'd plug it in to get charged and nothing would happen. So i needed to reset it before it would start charging

But since I've put on the new firmware it's working fine.

Anthony said:
really? what's going wrong with your ipod and what do you hate about it?
Thinking of getting one and I want to hear good and bad stories.
the battery in mine is a total cunt of late. or more precisely it does strange things. like thinking it's full when it's only parially charged or thinking it's dead when the display shows that it's half full etc. all pretty sporadic behaviour as well. sometimes it behaves itself. but not very often any more. I'm VERY lucky to get 4 hours out of mine. basically I need a new battery. here is where the iPod's biggest flaw is, without any doubt. replacing a battery is expensive and incredibly inconvenient, as you have to send it away. I'd imaging it's not cheap either. my boss has a first generation one and it's even worse. if I owned it I would have murdered the shit out of with a hammer a long time ago.

I have, on the other hand, heard that battery life is much much better on the new ones and in fairness it's a marvellous thing to be able to carry so much music around with you. you can plug them into the wall, or your mac/PC (warning: you need at least windows 2000 to run iTunes on a PC. or is it XP? I can't remember), and play your music when indoors. they're nice, well designed, easily portable, highly intuitive machines and if the battery in mine was a good boy I'd have to say I'd love my iPod to bits. but at the moment I just want to smash it to bits.

I will say that there were NO instructions on how to charge up your iPod for the first time in the documentation. I'd imagine that, because it's so important to mobile phones, that it's important to an iPod as well..

in any case I'd do some light reading on the subject. czech these links for more info:

iPod Battery FAQ
iPod Lounge Forum

:)

I done bought a hi-md player lastnight, each hi-md disc holds 45 hours of music(1gb). Plays normal minidiscs aswell at LP4 too. Battery life of 27 hours(which isn't as good as the standard net md players, but that's still pretty good as far as i'm concerned considering it's AA batteries). Hopefully it'll arrive before christmas

You can get new batteries for the iPod for $30, only thing is that you have to install it yourself. otherwise, go to the apple website, they have details on doing repairs, if you get a new battery with them, they basically re-insert your hard-drive into a reconditioned model.

Im running iTunes on windows 2000 professional. Yeah, it was a bit of a cunt getting it started, think it's needs sp2 or sp3 at least.

plug said:
the battery in mine is a total cunt of late. or more precisely it does strange things. like thinking it's full when it's only parially charged or thinking it's dead when the display shows that it's half full etc. all pretty sporadic behaviour as well. sometimes it behaves itself. but not very often any more. I'm VERY lucky to get 4 hours out of mine. basically I need a new battery. here is where the iPod's biggest flaw is, without any doubt. replacing a battery is expensive and incredibly inconvenient, as you have to send it away. I'd imaging it's not cheap either. my boss has a first generation one and it's even worse. if I owned it I would have murdered the shit out of with a hammer a long time ago.

I have, on the other hand, heard that battery life is much much better on the new ones and in fairness it's a marvellous thing to be able to carry so much music around with you. you can plug them into the wall, or your mac/PC (warning: you need at least windows 2000 to run iTunes on a PC. or is it XP? I can't remember), and play your music when indoors. they're nice, well designed, easily portable, highly intuitive machines and if the battery in mine was a good boy I'd have to say I'd love my iPod to bits. but at the moment I just want to smash it to bits.

I will say that there were NO instructions on how to charge up your iPod for the first time in the documentation. I'd imagine that, because it's so important to mobile phones, that it's important to an iPod as well..

in any case I'd do some light reading on the subject. czech these links for more info:

iPod Battery FAQ
iPod Lounge Forum

:)
That's SO strange.... I had mine for 6 months and it still works fine - the battery lasts 8 hours. It's a gen 4. Actually, my Pod is the best thing I've ever bought, sorry you've been unlucky with it.

sleur said:
You can get new batteries for the iPod for $30, only thing is that you have to install it yourself.
€30.. that isn't half as bad as I would have imagined. maybe I'll rip mine apart and give it a new heart. then everything will be jusst fiiine..

where can you get the aforementioned batteries?

Alex said:
That's SO strange.... I had mine for 6 months and it still works fine - the battery lasts 8 hours. It's a gen 4. Actually, my Pod is the best thing I've ever bought, sorry you've been unlucky with it.
yeah.. I'd say I'm unlucky. also, I treat stuff like shit. suppose your story is testimony to what I've heard about the new ones being a lot better!
sleur said:
Battery can be bought here --> http://www.ipodbattery.com/]
nice wan. gotta get me one of those car chargers as well!

Unless things have changed with the iPod, Apple harware has a 1 year parts and labour warranty. Within the first week of my powerbook ownership, I feel asleep(passed out) on the sofa with my PB on my lap, surfing legitimate sites. It slipped of, the PB that is, and hit the floor. Apple sent a empty box, wit return courier paid. Had it back in two days, no questions or fees. Also, they sent a new keyboard for nothin' after the wife spilled red wine in it, a replacement battery, and a video card. and logic board too. Mind you, this is after the last six years.
Apple Support 1-800-275-2273
Give them a ring an get some support.

I have to say i agree with Alex, i'd be completely lost without my iPod. Mine is 1 year old on Saturday, and i'm still getting 8 hours from it. I do find if you charge it fully and leave it idle for a few days that it needs another charge which is a bit gay, but other than that, it's the biz.

Those links will come in useful if it does need a new battery though, and 30 quid is far better than posting it off to be tinkered with.

A

i reckon you just have to take care of stuff. i had a clam ibook which fucked up and apple did as bing said, courier w/ empty box, postage paid.

anyway, there is a lot to be said about looking after stuff. the wan and various others slag me a bit cuase i tend to be anal about looking after stuff, mac, ipod, guitars and amps. but fuck it. i've fuck all money but some nice assets. i say treat your stuff as you would like to be treated.

the lcd screen on my poddy done broked, sent her away, expecting them to say 'hey that'll be 100 squids to fix' since the real reason i sent it was a technical fault that had been there since day 1. they returned it saying they wouldnt fix it as it was my fault, that i should consider buying a new ipod (refusing to tell me how much it would cost to fix.) also, refused to look at the other, real fault. in short - cuntz

nEiLo said:
any idea where you can get either fixed?
Fire is your only man here.
fire-crop.gif

ipods are for gays.

Wow. You think I'd know better than to google for images of gays. My eyes...

The battery life is really down to how you charge it. They use lithium ion batteries. They can only take about 500 full charge cycles so if you keep letting it run down completely you'll be lucky to get a year and a half out of it. The best thing is to keep it topped up all the time. Try not to let it drop below about 75% snd certainly not below 50 if you can. I usually keep it connected to the power supply at work all the time when I'm using it and charge it soon after using it outside. If you want a more accurate battery meter you can change the display to a number rather than a bar using the instructions on this site:

http://chris.blogs.com/cy/2004/09/hack_your_batte.html

It's easy to do and works.
The thing with the battery not being replaceable is down to Apple's stubborness. They maintain that putting a removeable cover on the device would ruin the 'look' of it. Nokia have this system right down to an art but Apple don't like been told they're wrong about these things. It's the whole nerd attitude of the company. Plus from what I've read on different help sites, their customer service is crap when you finally have to get the battery replaced.
I did have a lot of trouble with it at first mainly due to the fact that USB support in windows is shit. It kept crashing the system in both 2000 and XP. And when I installed the sync software on the pc at work it forced me to format the ipod again.The mini ipods are a waste of money. You are better off spending the extra bit of money for a 20gig machine that has better battery life.

Try not to let it drop below about 75% snd certainly not below 50 if you can. I usually keep it connected to the power supply at work all the time when I'm using it and charge it soon after using it outside.

Well, of course the battery will never run down if you keep the thing freaking re-charged at over 75% all the time. Great advice on how to prolong the life of your battery if you never even test it to see how long it'll go for.

sleur said:
Well, of course the battery will never run down if you keep the thing freaking re-charged at over 75% all the time. Great advice on how to prolong the life of your battery if you never even test it to see how long it'll go for.
I didn't mean it will will improve how many hours it will last. I meant it will increase the time before it loses it's ability to hold a charge at all.
If you keep letting it run down all the time then it may only take about a year before the damn thing cannot hold a charge at all and you only have it on for 5 mins before it completely goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back