Interscope kills the Slow Burner? (1 Viewer)

Beanstalk

Website
www.myspace.com
These days I find there is so much music available through the internet that I don't have enough time to invest in one album anymore, so I'm probably dismissing loads of great albums because I don't get that immediate connection from them. Sometimes I only hear one or two songs from an album and decide I don't like it, just because I've got so much more music on my ipod that I haven't heard yet.

I know some of the music I dismiss early is shit, and I don't want to waste anymore time listening to it...but I know I'm also missing out on some good slow-burning-like-it-the-4th-time-round music.

Maybe it was better before the interscope, when I actually had to pay for CDs, and was therefore more selective with what I listened to...then the flip side of that is I'm now listening to more genres and artists that I wouldn't risk buying a CD of.

In summary, the internet must die.
3404259211.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Sometimes I only hear one or two songs from an album and decide I don't like it, just because I've got so much more music on my ipod that I haven't heard yet.

this is sort of why I haven't bought an i-pod... it seems they've created a culture where collecting music is like collecting stamps, or just simply a game, "I have 20 gigs" "I have 30 gigs!" I mean 7,000 songs or so... is a LOT of music...

what used to happen in my old job was, and this story is as much about me being a snob as it is about i-pods, folk would come in and download my entire collection on to their pod thing... at first i didn't mind, and a week or two later I might say "did you check out John Fahy?" or "come across that Hawk and a Hacksaw yet?" Generally folk would look at me like I'm weird, and it dawned on my that as much as folk are loading up all this music, I wager they still listen to the same 5 or 6 records they always did and the rest is just about making up numbers.

In the end I actually really discouraged and made disaproving noises folk ripping, whole sale, my record collection (this is the about me being a snob) fuck it I had spent long hours and a lot of money tracking down live E.A.R shows, obscure side projects by Stephin Stills, reading AMG to find the best Pentangle album to start with, blah, blah, blah... look the dude sitting beside my had all the maximo park b-sides and the Kaiser Cheifs live bootleg, that's what you really want go talk to him...

maybe I'm an ass, and maybe someday someone will be sitting on a bus and their i-pod shuffle will drag up King of Carrot flowers and it will blow their mind and that will be a "good thing" but I reckon closer to the truth is someday will wonder they have 5 albums by something called CAN and delete them to make room for the new Scissors Sisters record...

I'm such a cranky cunt :rolleyes:

[/rant]

Pantone you're 100% correct.

I remember looking at someones ipod soon after they came out and seeing loads of cool music on it. I says 'there's some good music on here, what do you think of xxxx' the responce was something like, that stuff I got in work. I jst listen to my playlists. Playlist was Kylie and the stereophonics etc.

Why not just get a 512K shuffle and fill it once?

still not a good enough reason to not have an mp3 player. i got a 20G creative touch about a year and a half ago and i'm very selective about what i put on there, and that's just mostly stuff i've bought or am looking for. it's still only half full. i listen mostly to random play and if i really don't like music it has to come off. i really would crack up if it broke down and would have to get another one. it just gives me so much more time to listen to music.

i dont have an ipod or mp3 player but i still download loads of music and i actually listen to most of it too, although it can take a while to get around to stuff. I prefer buying music online now than in record shops because generally theres nothing i really want in the shops. usually when i buy online ive spent hours surfing the net reading reviews of bands ive never heard of or who have been mentioned in an interview or something, cross referencing etc. you dont get this emotional and intellectual involvement with your purchases in a record shop i find, and waiting for the postman to turn up with them adds a little extra excitement. i take the same approach to downloading albums (always the whole album, never just individual tracks) except that i dont pay for them and i might download a bands entire back catalogue and all of the side projects while im at it. i think the internet is great for music! i love it!

Pantone you're 100% correct.

glad someone agrees, thought I was being a total crank for a bit

i think the internet is great for music! i love it!

Mondobrutale, or whatever he calls himself now, when we were sharing a Fortress was pretty great for the interweb music and finding good shit and all that... I was always sort of impressed as I would have no idea where to start... different strokes...

Funnily I'd disagree with your comment about not getting emotional or intellectual involvment from a record shop, I'd be the complete reverse and be pretty non-chalant about stuff I download, but really into buying the records, flipping thru the liner notes on the way home, finnally getting t throw the record on etc, etc, etc...

Worth saying as well that I a) can't afford an Mp3 player and b) am sort of not 'allowed' have a credit card, cause I ran amuck with on in college... so obviously I'm a bad candidate for interweb MP3 music type stuff... :eek:

I still believe in albums.
I don't have an ipod or creative zen or any of those things; happy with a discman and bring two or three CDs for the commute.

you're right about the whole gig thing. That gives me a pain in the face. Particularly people who don't really know me and say - look how many CDs I get onto this little machine - as if I'd want to compress a portion of my collection onto something newfangled like that, thus doing away with concepts like 'packaging', 'sleeves' etc.

Going to shops is still fun [if they have what I'm looking for] but browsing online retailers is good too - plus the thrill on seeing a new package from the postman is still deadly.

When I buy an album I still have to bring it home on the bus in order to put it on my computer and then put it on my mp3 player. When I used a discman I could listen to it right away.

People who are into music 'seriously' are still into it and the people who only bought an album for a few songs download them instead of skipping tracks on the cd. I don't think much has changed at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back