Interesting Buildings (1 Viewer)

My grandmother often spoke about the Theatre Royal and used to struggle to explain how big it was - "Was it much bigger than the Olympia?!"
EDIT:
Often commented that a venue this size doesn't exist in Dublin now - about the mark of Hammersmith Odeon / Apollo

It was apparently the biggest capacity theatre in these islands in its day. What's fucked up is that as beautiful as the 1935 building undeniably was, its predecessor was another gem we'd be proud to have in our city today.

00171d96-614.jpg

An absurd amount of money.

Was watching a documeBarry recently about all the tunnels through the Faroe Islands mountains and under the sea connecting most of the islands.
Costs equivalent to €134million and I thought what an absolute bargain considering how much this government has wasted previously (children's hospital etc). And to just fucking start tunnelling under Dublin. Just fucking do it already

What I was trying to get at earlier was that €15m is not completely absurd, if you consider the size, the age, the dilapidation of it, what it's built of.

I know your point was more about Irish officialdom etc. though, and I would like to see this building secrets of The Faroes thing.*

*Finally a Faro/Pharoes pun that works. Thanks Mark Crorigan!

Last edited:
Cheers, that's
No, it's where the Dept of Health had a massive brutalist looking tower until recent redevelopment.

This is what was there before Agriculture House was constructed in the 1970s.

View attachment 18419

Ah, I hadn't realised that the theatre royal had been there. I was actually in the building beside the HSE one several times - college house, I think it was called? An post had offices in there. Very dated.

Cheers, that's

Ah, I hadn't realised that the theatre royal had been there. I was actually in the building beside the HSE one several times - college house, I think it was called? An post had offices in there. Very dated.

I never worked in Hawkins House, only visited for training or meetings, but at least on the higher floors, the sense of light and space was lovely. It was very much a case of you can't see how ugly it is when you're looking out from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back