In Search of The Pope's Children (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter roxy
  • Start date
  • Replies 117
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 6
I don't know about the show but the book is a piece of shite. McWilliams came up with the term "celtic tiger" i think and so he coins all these painful, unfunny terms for crude stereotypes of Irish people in the hope that some of it will stick. His (Eddie) Hobbsian smugness and smart-arsery is especially grating. Having said that he presented the only daycent show on TV3, I think it was called Agenda.

I have very long and angry opinions about David McWilliams.

Join the queue.

I watched about five minutes of it, just so I could have a rant about it. In those few minutes, he said Pope's Children six times. Decklander came a close second.

He really thinks he is clever at coining phrases. No one uses them.

And the style of program was up its own hole.

Here's David standing by the river. Here he is again, standing by the river. Oh, and to get his point across, here he is again standing by the river.

Oh and he used the term "baby belt" to describe navan, etc. What the fuck is he on?

Still, he's a gas cunt.

We need people like that so we can go, "There but for the grace of God...."

i like 'low gi jane' and 'robo paddy' , they are gas stereotypes.but when the book was first released, I thought it was all a bit too classist to be true. when asked if McWilliams was any of these categories himself he replied to Pat Kenny, that he is 'just an observer" still he will be as rich as fuck now as a pseudo-economist and social commentator, a pain in the ass pundit

Agenda was great and he did a god job on newstalk but that 'Popes Children' is a load of old bollox, all he's done is take a load of sterotypes and give them hip, new McWilliams-isms or just made up new sterotypes.

T'was a seriously tacky show but vast swathes of this country seem seriously tacky right now. Were they actors btw? Particularly the orange girl eating breakfast bars and drinking red bull while driving and talking on the mobile? Barely credible.
Plus it was very subjective. A lot of things he piped up with seem to have just been convenient for his argument and bore no reflection on truth.
I wonder about shows like this though, is he just talking to himself or do people see themselves reflected in his view of things?
He's such a mannered, dramatic speaker too.
Annoying.

Oh and he used the term "baby belt" to describe navan, etc. What the fuck is he on?

After visting Northside Shopping Centre yesterday surely the Clonshaugh / Coolock / Kilmore region deserves this title.

Kid pushing around kids, carrying (pregnant) kids then taking them all to the bonfire in the green across the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back