I'm sick of gigs ending ridiculously early (1 Viewer)

Moods For Mallards

in the whole Pod complex. You've probably talked about this before.
Andrew Bird lasted an hour or so, over by half 10.
At least it wasn't like Ted Leo from a while ago, who played for about half an hour.
Is Dublin unusual in the context of 'these islands' for having people pay for a ticket and then see that show end so early so that a goddamn club can get underway?

in the whole Pod complex. You've probably talked about this before.
Andrew Bird lasted an hour or so, over by half 10.
At least it wasn't like Ted Leo from a while ago, who played for about half an hour.
Is Dublin unusual in the context of 'these islands' for having people pay for a ticket and then see that show end so early so that a goddamn club can get underway?

It's been mentioned alright.

Really, when it all comes down to it, people need to go to more gigs and go to less night clubs. Sorry, I meant Nite Clubz.

And Dublin's unique, this shit doesn't happen down the country, can't speak for the UK though.

Underworld was over at around half ten when they played Tripod and it was something like 34 quid a ticket. I was expected them to come on at 12 and play til 2 or something. 'sake

The pod folks seem to be really strict on curfews at the minute even at gigs where there's no club afterward as far as I can tell. Kevin Drew went past 11 a couple of weeks ago. It's a bit shit but I'm pretty anal about getting to gigs early and seeing the supports (seeing as I'm paying for them too) so I never miss any of the headliners. Missed the start of Dosh on Saturday though.

yeah, i always remember the first time i went to a gig in london in the early 90's to see mudhoney at the astoria, doors were something like 7.30 and the whole thing was over by about 10pm with everyone booted out straight away. i was astounded as back home in those days most gigs didn't event arts til about 11pm

damn clubs!!!! :(

remember the Islands didn't start till half eleven or something

that was weird

It can be nice though sometimes to be able to catch the last bus home after a gig or not have to rush out before the last bit of the set to catch one. It is kinda mad how early gigs start though. Richard Hawley in Vicar St started rather early as did Roofie although Roofie's set was extra long.

Yeah, the other extreme was in the US of A. I remember working like a bollocks and then going to see Mike Watt on a Monday night. He didn't get on stage till 12.45, and the gig ended at 2.30.
And he's always going on about the working man!

surely POD could put on some sort of club after these type of gigs so that people could either go home or hang around for a bit. fair enough everyone got home early last night, but not everyone wants that.

i used hate it in whelans when you'd be at a good gig and then towards the end they'd start letting students in for the indie disco while the gig was still going.

an hour is probably plenty for most bands because most bands simply dont have enough good music to sustain the momentum for longer but sometimes if its someone deadly then you'd defo want more time. ive been to three hour roy harper gigs that have felt felt too short.

The older I get, the more I like early-finishing gigs. I didn't mind so much when I lived in Dublin and could walk home from most venues, but in London it can take me up to 2 hours to get home. As I'm now officially a lightweight and useless in work if I stay up late the night before, a gig that's over at 10pm is a good thing.

i used hate it in whelans when you'd be at a good gig and then towards the end they'd start letting students in for the indie disco while the gig was still going.

I was told of a Mark Eitzel gig where this caused violent difficulties. Sounded entertaining..

I think the gig should be allowed to run its natural course, within reason. I would have enjoyed another half hour of Andy Bird. It seems that most of these bands aren't aware of the time restrictions and therefor don't start correspondingly early to make up for the early finish. To get back to my Ted Leo example, he had 2 support bands (including your Large Mound) which was ridiculous for such a tight schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back