If you've ever voted for the Greens previously. (1 Viewer)

Post PFG & NAMA votes will you ever vote Green again?

• Never did vote for them and never will

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Would have voted for them before but never again

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Never did before but will vote for them in future

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will continue to vote for them

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Who?

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
cant remember if i voted on this poll or not. however...

the wording of the questions in the poll trouble me so. i call myself a 'floating voter' - i dont ahve party allegiance and try to weigh the issues out in the approach to each voting issue. to say i would never vote green again isnt something i cant say. its very much of the present that people's opinions are getting very polarised, and polarised based on a 12 month period of a country thats been around since the pyramids, rather then a depth of political knowledge. everyone hates the greens now because they got in bed with fianna fail, and ended up taking it in the ass in a highly polarised election. thats pretty much what fianna fail did to the country aswell, so where is the poll to say 'i'll NEVER vote fianna fail again'?? people who hated dole scum like me (i'm not on the dole but appear to be to the naked eye) are now facing the dole themselves, have plenty of time to think about politics and who they should vote for, instead of voting for the pocket lining promises that swayed the last decade. i'd say when your broke, you might as well vote green, cant take knickers off a bare arse.

this is a naive thread, i think is my point.

thats all fair enough. Never say never, apart for where FF and Shinners are concerned (would rather eat my leg than vote for either of those).

For the foreseeable future I wouldn't vote green. Not until at least theres a vast personnel change. Not while Gormley's there for one.

And yes, you're dead right, this is based on 12-months, not on any indepth political knowledge. But they've done so much harm to themselves in that 12-month period that I think its fair enough to form an opinion over that time period (as opposed to any other time when they might have had a seat or 2 in opposition, which lets face it, is the easiest place in the world to be - there is nothing to be learned from those times. Nothing at all. But in government, thats when and where they show their true colours - and those colours aren't green).

But in government, thats when and where they show their true colours - and those colours aren't green
That's what I was saying last week, but John-out-of-Stoat changed my mind. I'm disengaged from the news and a real low-information voter, but according to him the greens are pushing the green agenda pretty successfully given the power and experience differential between them and Fianna Fail, particularly by improving building standards (which aren't enforced but still have a big influence on what's built) plus they've engineered a few concrete commitments in education as part of the programme for govt - 4000 new teachers is nothing to be sneezed at.

The programme for govt is here - http://www.greenparty.ie/en/government/agreed_programme_for_government some of it is pure aspirational wishy-washy, but there's some concrete shit there too. From a green perspective the major issue right now is climate change, and mitigating that is more important for the greens than NAMA or the electoral prospects of the party itself. And, FWIW, I can't see that bringing down the govt is going to stop NAMA at this stage - FG, despite the bluster, seems to agree with Fianna Fail on practically everything, the only difference is they've less blood on their hands right now

Of course I'm disappointed in what they've managed to do, but I don't see that there's been any sellout.

Of course I'm disappointed in what they've managed to do, but I don't see that there's been any sellout.

some people might see their lack of fight in the 'shell to sea' and Tara issues as a sellout of sorts.

Though I do acknowledge Dick Roche left them in a no-win situation, but still, the lack of any kind of fight in both these instances (particularly Gormley changing his mind about Tara being the most important thing in the world, to practically ignoring its existence) was most disappointing.

I don't blame them for going into government. Actually it was pretty courageous, but they've just been doing what they're told as far as I can see. But cheers for that link - will check it out and hopefully it'll change my mind.

(particularly Gormley changing his mind about Tara being the most important thing in the world, to practically ignoring its existence) was most disappointing.
of course it was disappointing, but they had a stark choice - stay out of government, and it goes ahead, or go into government, and it stays, but other things change.

some people might see their lack of fight in the 'shell to sea' and Tara issues as a sellout of sorts.

Though I do acknowledge Dick Roche left them in a no-win situation, but still, the lack of any kind of fight in both these instances (particularly Gormley changing his mind about Tara being the most important thing in the world, to practically ignoring its existence) was most disappointing.

I don't blame them for going into government. Actually it was pretty courageous, but they've just been doing what they're told as far as I can see. But cheers for that link - will check it out and hopefully it'll change my mind.

Legally, Gormley could do nothing about Tara by the time he was in government. The Greens now have proposed draft legislation proposing a Register of Protected Landscapes, similar to the Register of Protected Structures, that weill (hopefully) restrict development at key sites throughout the country.

I have a feeling most people have no idea what the greens are actually doing in government aside from what they read on the front page of the paper (which is understandable).

a colleague was giving out about them - standard irish 'what have they done for me?'
'well, you've insulated your house with an SEI grant and got a cheap bike for your missus through the cycle to work scheme?'
'oh.'

I have a feeling most people have no idea what the greens are actually doing in government aside from what they read on the front page of the paper (which is understandable).
I'd say you're absolutely right, and the media have it in for them (everyone hates someone who's holier-than-thou) so they're really getting it in the neck

a colleague was giving out about them - standard irish 'what have they done for me?'
'well, you've insulated your house with an SEI grant and got a cheap bike for your missus through the cycle to work scheme?'
'oh.'

Sustainable Energy Ireland was set up in 2002.

Re. the Cycle To Work scheme, personally I doubt this had much of a carbon footprint impact. Everyone I know who took part did so just to get a new bike - it didn't change their habits in traveling to work.

The greens didn't set it up, but they've been behind the insulation grant initiative that it has administered

http://www.greenparty.ie/government/achievements_in_government/rolling_list_of_achievements

They take credit for a lot. Wonder where did they learn that from..? Sorry - I'm being cynical. But I don't think we can say that all green initiatives carried out by the State in Ireland come from the Green party, at least not directly.

What you said about the way they are portrayed in the media is very interesting. The Irish Times is edited by a former PD TD. The PDs are the polar opposites of the Greens in some respects. The Independent, owned by billionaire tycoons, would logically have no love for the Greens. RTE, it seems to me, is in Fianna Fail's pocket. But in fairness, the same could be said for Labour or the Sinners. The only difference is that the Greens are in power. So they are being shot down.

And, FWIW, I can't see that bringing down the govt is going to stop NAMA at this stage - FG, despite the bluster, seems to agree with Fianna Fail on practically everything, the only difference is they've less blood on their hands right now

look...theres a national crisis with no-one at the helm commanding the respect of authority. The Greens should have walked away from a redundant govt in the face of a need for a clear mandate. NAMA or whatever...maybe NAMA will work but if jesus christ came down to dail eireann w a solution the people would be totally justified in not finding themselves wholly behind the governments guidance.

We need everyone more or less behind national recovery and reform...FF must go for a long time!!!

so Milker, the likely result of a general election now would be a FG / Labour government. what do you think they do differently?

nothing, probably..the same or different solutions but 'W' the support of the population.

FF should be the last ones at the helm...especially if things can be done no differently and, therefore, by any govt.

i was talking to somone in the pub lastnight who said that the green party's long term plan was to wipe out the human population of ireland, then to commit mass suicide and it has something to do with humanism and polar bears. does anyone here know anything about it??

Tell Jim to write some new songs

mhskyg.jpg

did hear gormley saying this is an inappropriate time to have an election coz we'd just have a caretaker govt and no opposition?

GREAT...lets have that!!

javascript:videoPlayer.play(2858056...003efc4'});updateRelatedVideoInfo('2858056');

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back