If you woke up one morning...... (1 Viewer)

R.E.M. - quite mainsteam now, but there earlier stuff was interesting, though I suppose that would have magically disappeared too. So it would have to be their newer, blander albums.

There is some good mainstream stuff out there, e.g. beatles, beach boys, etc. which I'd happily listen to...

I have to admit and I'm not ashamed to say there is a lot of mainstream stuff that I love and listen to...

beethoven. and road works. and the neighbours kids trunning sneaky fucks into one another against the jacks wall.

The sound of one hand clapping....

cla, cla

The sound of pumping blood...

be-bump, be-bump

The sound of polyunsaturate-rich margarine being spread on crusty fresh bread

smoosh, smoosh

The sound of time undulating and bubbling as it distorts when our galaxy enters a quasar

ble-blob, ble-blob

sugarbabessugarbabessugarbabessugarbabessugarbabes

I agree with Ian...I'd say we all enjoy a hell of a lot more mainsteream pop and rock then we're willing to admit.

What about Weezer? and there's a lot of good metal that's considered kinda mainstream, early Metalica?

But probably stick with the beach boys or the kinks or aha or adam and the ants etc.

Originally posted by rumpus
I'd say we all enjoy a hell of a lot more mainsteream pop and rock then we're willing to admit.

That was actually the point of this thread.

The last list-threads turned into kind of a competition: the one who quotes the most indie, alternative, unknown, weird band wins...

Each one of us could quote loads of bands (maybe great I'm sure!) that nobody else here knows but THIS KILLS THE DISCUSSION ! How could we exchange our opinions (which is I think the purpose of a forum) if we don't know what the others are talking about :confused:

Sometimes we might put this alterna-fever aside to talk about (good) mainstream bands, don't you think?

Indeed, not 100% of what you see on MTV is crap: take the Sugarbabes version of Gary Newmann's song for instance... I think it's better than the original!

Ok then, Placebos first album?

Or Marlyn Manon Smells like Children, or What about Master of Puppetts by Metallica? We'd have Elvis Costello also.
+ Thin Lizzy

Your comments please as there could be some glaring inaccuracies in the above list.

Master of Puppetts by Metallica is a master piece! Do you remember that stunning instrumental tune called "Orion" ? That was class!

I H8 Marlyn Manson though! Some songs rock but he's such a cunt... went to gig in Modena a few years ago, saw him sticking a finger up his ass on stage.... jaysus...!bog

I watch MTV for Kylie, shakira and Holly...oh holly!!!

Mainstream music I listen too:
Guns'n'roses
Metallicas black album
Nirvana
Pearl jam
R.E.M. ...don't have any albums, but I like hearing them on the radio.
I think every song the sugababes have done is good
I like that new No Doubt song..whatsit..Hellagood

(I'm cringing at this stage) :(

Originally posted by Dan
I watch MTV for Kylie, shakira and Holly...oh holly!!!

Mainstream music I listen too:
Guns'n'roses
Metallicas black album
Nirvana
Pearl jam
R.E.M. ...don't have any albums, but I like hearing them on the radio.
I think every song the sugababes have done is good
I like that new No Doubt song..whatsit..Hellagood

(I'm cringing at this stage) :(

That's all good stuff but I heard that No Doubt song performed live and it's really poor.... that's the power of Pro Tools...

no arguments there Alex.

so,

let's see

REM are a great example of mainstream but creative and, although reveal may seem bland, they are still writing some of the most interesting songs. New adventures in HI FI = some amazing writing.

I watch MTV and listen to radio for things like:

shakira (what a bum, I say, what a bum)
destiny's child
kylie (poptastic of late)
the best of the MTV rap (Busta rhymes and co)
chillie peppers

and of course those like Super furry animals and radiohead ...

oh, and gary newmann himself agreed with you Alex...

And there's also that single by Paddle of Mudd... I know it's just one of those fucking stupid ballads but I can't get that chorus out my head!

C D- E- ..... The three magic chords.... how many songs were written on them?!?!?!?! Well, the capacity of working out a new line on these ultra abused chords must be recognised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back