I was in court today and... (1 Viewer)

oh shit said:
yet this is the connection made time and again by commentators and politicians alike, and funnily enough, shit still happens. it's shit that it does but all the evidence would suggest that unless there is a serious shift in our attitudes to society, violence and crime, then nothing's going to get much better.
sayin'

A shift like that can only work if there's a shift in the way we think fundamentally about our place in the world. So few people are doing things they're proud of much less happy in. Maybe i'm romanticising, but there was a time when people had positions in society (at any level), understood their role and it's limits and were proud and happy to do that. Seems there's no pride anymore, everything's disposable, nothing has value (or universal value anyways). Everyone wants all they can get and will do what it takes to get it the easiest way possible, altruism only functions on a local network level (network of friends, sometimes including family). The idea that everything you want is just a credit card away, or that you can change your life by playing the lotto just end up breeding disappointment and resentment.

oh shit said:
i don't think anyone working with young people or people who commit violent crime would seriously say they're 'innocent'. but the idea that trying to respond to crime by understanding the event rather than simply inflicting punishment, should not be equated with simply excusing peoples' actions. that's not what it's about.

I know what you're saying and i agree but there still needs to be a punishment. Understanding the event and trying build a society where it doesn't happen anymore is the way forward but it doesn't help the people suffering now. Are we as a society then asking these victims to sacrifice themselves for a better future for everyone, that only works if everyone's sacrificing something.

Igor said:
A shift like that can only work if there's a shift in the way we think fundamentally about our place in the world. So few people are doing things they're proud of much less happy in. Maybe i'm romanticising, but there was a time when people had positions in society (at any level), understood their role and it's limits and were proud and happy to do that. Seems there's no pride anymore, everything's disposable, nothing has value (or universal value anyways). Everyone wants all they can get and will do what it takes to get it the easiest way possible, altruism only functions on a local network level (network of friends, sometimes including family). The idea that everything you want is just a credit card away, or that you can change your life by playing the lotto just end up breeding disappointment and resentment.

I'm over-educated, under-skilled. Or is it the other way around? Where did it all go wrong? When did I become the bad guy?

Skull Smile said:
Do you reckon you are going to get a worse kicking when the boys get out of court/ jail!?!?!

if was worried about that i wouldnt be in court. Anyway, giving them a beating would be too easy and they'd probobly try and score some easy money from that so court was the only way. That, or let them get away with it.

!bing Does anyone own one of these? !bing

stun_m8.gif

When i did the J1 in Long island, one of the girls got her hands on one of those and a rape alarm. Those alarms are louder than fuckin hell, but the stun guns... Pain.

Igor said:
I know what you're saying and i agree but there still needs to be a punishment. Understanding the event and trying build a society where it doesn't happen anymore is the way forward but it doesn't help the people suffering now. Are we as a society then asking these victims to sacrifice themselves for a better future for everyone, that only works if everyone's sacrificing something.

but igor, state punishment does not exist to help the victims.
i'm not sure what victims are 'sacrificing' if a better system of justice is developed?

victims need support and a sense that justice is being done, but the interests of victims has never been the reasoning behind the penal system.

its all done finally. i got awarded some compo. scumbag has 6 months to come up with the dosh or else he's off to jail. :) im relieved as was my mouth of its teeth but i am now having the last laugh. :D

Break Neck Speed said:
its all done finally. i got awarded some compo. scumbag has 6 months to come up with the dosh or else he's off to jail. :) im relieved as was my mouth of its teeth but i am now having the last laugh. :D

Nice one!

Break Neck Speed said:

Good to hear, drop the bomb on all scum

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back