I was caking me bags (1 Viewer)

rumpus

Website
www.settlersite.com
:eek: I watched "Ring" last night (and don't start with the gay jokes!).

It's so good to see horror done well. So rare. I dreamt about the movie afterwards....that never happens.

Can anyone recommend other good horror/psychological torture movies? I feel a home movie festival coming on.

I recommend:

Communion (not the alien story!)
The Changeling
Jacobs ladder..

anyone..anyone...

Originally posted by rumpus
:eek: I watched "Ring" last night (and don't start with the gay jokes!).

It's so good to see horror done well. So rare. I dreamt about the movie afterwards....that never happens.
yeah you're right, it is rare to see horror done well. ring however is bollocks. ring 2 is also shit.

what about the wicker man ?

havent seen it yet but its sposed to be very very scary.
anyone seen it ?

Wicker Man is superb. One of the best horrors. The butchered version 84m has been the industry standard for years but last month the restored 104m version was released on VHS and DVD.

Ring is terrible.

But these are good

- Last House On The Left
- New York Ripper
- House On The Edge Of The Park
- Blood Feast
- Death Weekend
- Spoorloos [The Vanishing - not the US remake]
- Lifespan
- My Bloody Valentine
- Friday The 13th: Part VIII
- Sleepaway Camp
- The Hitcher
- The Baby
- Hitch-Hike
- Axe
- Don't Torture A Duckling
- City Of The Living Dead
- Dawn Of The Dead
- Trilogy Of Terror

[QUOTE a great BBC Drama a few years back called Woman in Black, which is really spooky.....[/QUOTE]

me! me! me! me!

that play was performed a few years back in the Tivoli.
it's one of the scariest things I've ever sat through, never seen the BBC version but believe me seeing it live was....

.....eh heh heh heh.....mental.

:eek:

i saw woman in black in the olympia about 7 or 8 years ago, and yup, it utterly terrified me. especially the bit where all the lights went out in the olympia, and she suddenly appeared in one of the boxed behind this couple, who promptly had heart attacks and tried to jump out of the box.

stellar, and all the more impressive was that the only prop was a large box. good old alan stanford.

scariest movie? um, critters 3

exactly

incredibly atmospheric and a real sense of foreboding
achieved entirely by clever lighting and total darkness
( even the exit signs were turned off ) and zero props
and sets.

.|..|

Ring

The problem with the film was that there was too much back-story being told by her ex-husband. This is not the best way to get the info across. Also that rubbish ending about having to make a copy of the tape? So shit.

If you liked ring check out Audition. Really FUCKED up and horrible. Also Japanese...

Kine kine kine!..............uuuurrrrgh!

I too saw the woman in black...I remember the black out and the scream....it was unique brown-trousers experience. I'm suprised more didn't like ring....yiz have a point about the story being put together sloppily...but I just loved the feeling sustained...

It's like when I saw Lost Highway / Mulholland(?) Drive ... spending the whole time scared but not knowing why. Though they were better.

So much horror is crap...the only worth while stuff is the weird, well made shit that you either hate or love. Eraserhead genuinely reminded me of fever dreams I had as a kid.

que wanky student accent "It's awll like, so subjective..."

That one Communion is I beleive the inspiration for the aphex twin "scarey mutant kids" video.

I could tell you I was scared by Blair Witch but I wont cause yiz'll all just go on about amateur improve acting.

...all that wes craven textbook shite can kiss me arse.

Ring

Rumpus, you are right. Despite all of it's shortcomings there was still real atmosphere in Ring. As for Blair Witch, I absolutely loved it. Forget the hype. It is a fantastic idea that has made film students all over the world kick themselves for not thinking of it.

Oh...and The Exorcist. Again, in the dark, by oneself.

Weird movie that. Went to see it in the Savoy a few years back and it was full of arseholes, which ruined the movie.

Got in on DVD and WOW! Funy thing is, when I first saw it when I was about 14, I just thought it was a good movie, but not scary.

Maybe I'm just becoming more of a big jessie as I get older.

(And a friend of mine saw the Woman in Black in the Theatre too - I raged when I heard about missing it - must pay more attention to theatre listings).

And Pete thinks the Blair Witch project is scary too. I HATED it. I just didn't see the point. Plus the fact that Pete's dvd has a crappy border on it (maybe they all do?) to give some sort of amateur feel to it, didn't help. Wasn't like that in the cinema by all accounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back