• Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 1

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
I just got a 2TB external HD which I'm in the process of backing my shit onto....next I want to make a copy of the C partition on my DAW so that in the event of a terminal malfunction I can whack it straight onto a new HD and have it up and running in jig time exactly the way it is now(which I have spent 6 weeks tweaking to my satisfaction) or even put it into my next machine when I save up enough to get it..

So nerds..google was TOO helpful.....whats the handiest way to do this?

fanx in advanx

norton ghost is your man. http://us.norton.com/ghost go a piratin'.

[edit: you should be able to make a backup image of your disk to your external HD however you'll probably have some grieve booting from this ext. HD (or does windows 7 now support booting from usb without any hackery?, that is if you're a win7 user), otherwise you'd have to remove the ext. drive enclosure and hook it up through the regular sata/esata.]

Thank you Theseus Mock

Just for pig iron is there a way to do it that dosent involve hoisting the jolly roger?

Brillo....thats a guide I can follow!

Yeah,I'm just looking for something whereby if my drive fails,I can just whack a new harddrive into my regular pc in the second slot,copy the biz onto it from the external HD then lash it into the DAW and get rockin.....as if nothing happened

then you can create disc images from windows 7 itself
start --> control panel --> back up your computer --> create a system image
then if you have a failure you just need to install windows 7 on a new drive and restore the image from there.

Ohh that sounds handy....but I would prefer to be able to just clone the whole thing,that would save me having to reinstall Win 7...just drag n drop and bish bash bosh

But your method dosent involve any shenanigans which is nice....hmmmmm..

I'm all about options Ste...chizeers

No good will come of trying to play God with your hard drives..

colin_clive.jpg

Ps _ I was going to say Norton ghosts.

I'm also pretty sure you can change your boot order to boot from USB before c: drive.

There is a free image maker but cant remember the name of it (Bootzilla or something)... If ye can get your hands on Acronis that would be perfect. I use it all the time and with windows 7 machines

Clonezilla looks like the very man!

Muchos gratias!

Lovely!Cheers Steve...I've yet to do any cloning...gonna set it up to run overnight tonight I think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back