I hate/ I heart... Dublin special (1 Viewer)

Lolo

Since 2000
Website
www.facebook.com
I've just been back to Dublin for a week, after 3 months living in Lahndan. I find I've developed an overwhelming affection for the smallest of pleasant things about the city, and a boiling hatred for things that used to just cause mild irritation. Here's...

THE THINGS YOU MISS ABOUT DUBLIN WHEN YOU'RE AWAY
1. Your mates
2. Your ma's house being a short bus ride away
3. The sea being a short bus ride away
4. A small, self-contained city centre in which all the shops, pubs and venues worth bothering about are situated
5. Going to gigs and knowing most of the audience and at least half of the people on stage. Although when we go to gigs in London, it's like when the Simpsons visit Shelbyville - there's always eerily similar equivalents to Dublin people (Look over there, it's the London Joss! And behind him - it's the London Kirsty!)
6. Record shop staff who know you by name and can accurately recommend new releases you'll like
7. Record shop staff who don't know you by name but still give you a discount 'cause they remember you've been buying stuff off them since you were 14
8. Bumping into people you know and like wherever you go (see no. 7 in 'things you don't miss...')
9. More than 4 channels of telly
10. Hot whiskeys in pubs. Not even the Irish pubs in London do them - they'll make you one if you tell them how, but they nver have cloves. And there's no substitute for a hot whiskey when you have a horrible snot factory of a cold
11. Xfm - as a listener and a DJ. Sad but true

THINGS YOU DON'T MISS ABOUT DUBLIN WHEN YOU'RE AWAY
1. Shite, overpriced taxi service (practically non-existant over Christmas)
2. Shite, overpriced night bus service
3. Shite transport system in general
4. The constant barrage of comments and abuse you get for having the audacity to be female and walk down the street in a short skirt/ with pink hair, etc.
5. Ridiculous MCD ticket prices
6. Neanderthol MCD 'security'
7. Bumping into people you know and hate wherever you go
8. Restaurant staff who can't speak English, or at least haven't learned the words 'vegetarian' and 'allergic' yet

Buses are cheaper in Glasgow.
Taxis are about half the price and available without a 2 hour wait at weekends.
And you have a decent underground.
What are you complaining about?

The blind donkey that is Dublin transport...

I like Dublin though. I like knowing where the best cash machine is and knowing that there is never a queue and that it always has fivers....

Aaaaah!.....ah ha ha ha....ah ha ha ha ha!....[continues with evil laugh ad infinitum]

There really isn't anything like knowing the whereabouts of said quiet fiver dispencing cash machines... thinking of all those poor losers at Christmas who spent half their days q-ing to get money out while I nipped round the corner... ah hahaha ha ha...

There really isn't anything like knowing the whereabouts of said quiet fiver dispencing cash machines... thinking of all those poor losers at Christmas who spent half their days q-ing to get money out while I nipped round the corner... ah hahaha ha ha...

I actually found a London pub that does hot whiskeys - with cloves - yesterday! (or hot toddies, as they insist on calling them here). Gawd bless the Winchester Hall Tavern in Highgate, and all who sail in her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back