I can't wait for Euro 2008 (1 Viewer)

Moods For Mallards

I can't wait for the Euros. I caught a terrible syndicated preview show on RTE the other day. I was still very excited, despite the poorness of the fare.
I know, for example, that I will spend all day thinking of Austria vs Poland, then the game itself will be mildly diverting and I'll move on to obsessing about the next game.
I think I have a problem. I love the major international championships in a way I could never love the Champions League. It's nothing to do with the standard of play. It's the idea of a festival across a whole country (or two) and the sunshine and the colour and the dream that one day I'll be over somewhere supporting Ireland and it'll be like "right we'll hop on the train tomorrow and head for Dnepetrovsk for the Holland-Spain game, then back here for our match tomorrow".
Amazing.

I agree with everyone agreeing with me.

Major championships are also the only time I bet on anything, but that's just to keep me ticking over in work until that magical hour when Sweden take to the field against Greece in the Stadion Wals-Siezenheim.

Man, it's gonna rule.
Earliest kickoff is 5 or 6pm, so no need to miss a game because of evil work!
I'm gonna enter every competition to win a trip to a match.
Yeah!

pity some players don't agree,

yeah fuck those cunts. I would kill all of you and eat your rotting flesh to play one game for my country. that should be the attitude. look at Del Piero - begging to play. the man is 33. begging to play! fuck this retirement bullshit.

what timezone is this in this time? I liked the one in Korea cos we could all take a couple of hours off work to watch (or pretend to watch) some of the games.

them soccer tournaments remind me of the leaving cert. Not necessarily happy memories.

I remember Italia 90, the day Ireland were playing England. I was doing leaving cert attendant (where you sit outside the door and bring the coffee in and that). Halfway through paper II of English in the afternoon I met this lad wandering the corridors of the school. I asked him how come he was out so early. He said he left early cos he wanted to watch Ireland and England, that it was starting at 5 and he needed to be home in time. I told him it wasn't til 8 that night. He failed his leaving. The end

what timezone is this in this time? I liked the one in Korea cos we could all take a couple of hours off work to watch (or pretend to watch) some of the games.

them soccer tournaments remind me of the leaving cert. Not necessarily happy memories.

I remember Italia 90, the day Ireland were playing England. I was doing leaving cert attendant (where you sit outside the door and bring the coffee in and that). Halfway through paper II of English in the afternoon I met this lad wandering the corridors of the school. I asked him how come he was out so early. He said he left early cos he wanted to watch Ireland and England, that it was starting at 5 and he needed to be home in time. I told him it wasn't til 8 that night. He failed his leaving. The end

hahahaha :D

italia 90 was a special time for us all.

I was in a bar in Boston, with an American guy I worked with. Nobody gave a damn when Ray Houghton scored. In fairness, my co-worker got up and cheered with me, in support.

I was in a bar in Boston, with an American guy I worked with. Nobody gave a damn when Ray Houghton scored. In fairness, my co-worker got up and cheered with me, in support.

Well we should all get down on our collective knees and praise the gods of football that we don't have to watch the Euros in America:

"Coldplay and ESPN are teaming up on a soccer marketing campaign. The rock band's music will be featured in promotions for ESPN's coverage next month of the European Championship soccer tournament, the sports network announced Wednesday.

ESPN agreed to incorporate music from Coldplay's new release, "Viva La Vida," into game and studio production. The quadrennial tournament is scheduled for June 7-29 in Austria and Switzerland."

That's bound to put the game on the other side of the pond back about 20 years. Living la fucking vida loca.

I can't wait for this either, not having Ireland in it is shit but does mean that I can take a detached look at the whole thing and enjoy every game.

I've got a feeling in my bones for Spain, I think this is their year and an outside feeling for Croatia, maybe I'll stick some money each way on them to make the last four. Anyone know the odds??? I assume Germany are favourites.

I can't believe this starts the day after my girlfriend goes home to Australia and finishes the day after she come back.

hansen-750100.jpg

uhnbuleeevabul.

I can't wait for this either, not having Ireland in it is shit but does mean that I can take a detached look at the whole thing and enjoy every game.

I've got a feeling in my bones for Spain, I think this is their year and an outside feeling for Croatia, maybe I'll stick some money each way on them to make the last four. Anyone know the odds??? I assume Germany are favourites.

I wouldn't put money on Spain, France will win it - they beat Germany in the final.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=686766

I also can't wait for this.

Very open tournament; no outstanding teams in it. I expect one of the big boys to meet a dark horse in the final, with Old Europe to prevail.

Would be nice to see a good, strong new team to come of age and emerge from the whole thing - Holland, Croatia, Spain someone like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back