Humanitas (1 Viewer)

Osimono

Since 2000
Mentioned earlier by Germ: Evan Dando and the recent Goldfrapp (Goldsapp, more like) gig was organised by a promotions company called "Humanitas - for the promotion of contemporary culture".

Noble sentiments? Hardly. Look at the small print down the bottom left of these posters and you'll see in very small print: "humanitas is an MCD initiative". So they are clearly mindful of their poor reputation with the 'yoof' and attempting to pull the proverbial wool over our eyes. Also, hows this for a hair-brained theory...The last time Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds played in Dublin was 9 years ago (Henry's Dream tour). Why the delay in his return to Dublin? Because Mute Records have refused to deal with MCD for that amount of time due to MCD stiffing them over an Erasure gig about 7 years ago. Now, consider the fact that tickets for Cave's gig in the Olympia are £37 (!!). Have MCD given Mute a sweetener (to secure acts like Moby, perhaps), and are writing off the cost of this against the upcoming Cave gig by charging ludicrous prices (and this is the most ludicrous I have ever seen)? Can the public bring themselves to not attend the great man's show?

I reckon I could bring myself not to go to most anything priced at £37.
I'm assuming that's on in the Olympia.
1600 people at £34.50 a head: that's somewhere in the region of fifty grand made on the night. They're probably looking at clearing around £30,000.
Doin' it for the music, man.

Nick Cave has played here more recently thant he show in the SFX 9 years ago (was it really so long? - I remember the Edge and a bevvie of bouncing bozos being in attendence).
He did some discreet shows on the Gaiety a couple of years back - remember? With some of the Dirty Three, I think.
I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure you were, Osimono.
The afternoon performance maybe?

But £37!!! For real?? Jesus....will they really get over 1,000 Cave fans willing to pay that? I find it hard to believe.
I could buy that Sabu Brotzmann record from Tower for that price - and still get a penny change.

On the plus side, it's still cheaper than going to see Sonic Youth in Japan - 60,000 yen - about £43.
On the downside, Nick won't be supported by OOIOO.

Or will he?

Keeror (23-02-2001 06:15 p.m.):
With some of the Dirty Three, I think.
I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure you were, Osimono.
The afternoon performance maybe?

Or will he?

wasnt the afternoon nick cave / dirty 3 gig in the Guiness Brewery? Or did i make that up?

who are OOIOO then?

andy

soundout.net ('independent' dublin music site - ring any bells?) is also MCD. check the site credits on mcd.ie. no other indication given. there's probably more if you look hard enough... possibly done to rival thumped?

germ (23-02-2001 11:18 p.m.):
soundout.net ('independent' dublin music site - ring any bells?) is also MCD. check the site credits on mcd.ie. no other indication given. there's probably more if you look hard enough... possibly done to rival thumped?

well i'd sure as hell like to think so heeheeheheheh :)

but i doubt it

i'm sure there's a reasonable explanation

And guess whose music can be downloaded from soundout.net?
Why if it's not our old friend Osimono!

Sell out.

Andy,
OOIOO is a band formed by Yoshimi from Bordeoms. Here's a likkle info:
http://www.mainichi.co.jp/english/entertainment/feature/2001/02/16-1.html

Nick also played in Ireland at Liss Ard in the last couple of years.

I have noticed that the name of the MCD "contemporary culture" offshoot is actually Humanitat, presumably with the emphasis on the TAT.

God, I'm so witty.

Rumbled!!

When Thinker Org gave soundout.netsome stuff to put up, it was genuinely independent. The girl who runs it, Fiona, works for allirelandmusic.com (which is mcd owned),but as far as I know soundout.net is still independent. Still, I could be an informer, starting this thread to get names and IP addresses to KILL YOU ALL!

KILL YOU ALL!!

KILL YOU ALL!!!!

oops

Oh, for fuck's sake.

Soundout.net is not owned by MCD.

They got on to Fiona about linking to her site so they could have an "underground" bit. Furthermore, Fiona got onto every single person featured on the site and cleared it with them before doing any business with MCD (not that there was any money in it as far as I recall). Only one person had any objection and I can't even remember who that was. It wasn't Osimono, and it wasn't me. I don't give a flying fart whether MCD link to a page that I have links with. If you wish to question the ethics of her giving them the time of day, go for it, but hear this - thinker org - an outfit more punk rock and more full on than andy or damien's best nightmare are getting hundreds and hundreds of downloads a week, and these are 20 meg downloads of entire (short) sets : if that aint a triumph for irish subculture, then I don't know what is.

Allireland music is not owned by MCD either.

Bloody rumour mill.

Is it just me or have MCD prices for smaller gigs doubled in the last twelve months? £19.50 for Tortoise, £18.50 for Yo La Tengo etc. Maybe they've just cottoned on to the fact that they can get away with it. Who pays these prices?

Hypocrisy corner: I paid £17.50 to see The Fall's cabaret performance. I should have sat at home listening to that shite song about Pumpkin Soup from The Unutterable on repeat for an hour and saved my money. I hadn't been that excited about seeing the Fall since the Tivoli 10 years ago. Difference: they were great that night.

On further investigation, Soundout still has absolutely nothing to do with MCD.ie yet in any case. There are no links on either side.

The ticket prices are certainly getting beyond a joke. I am unsure now. I really want to see Tortoise, having missed em last time with Stereolab, but I'm pretty fucked off with their attitude in general, not just the ticket prices. I'd be surprised if their methods of business aren't wholly illegal...."jeez, we'd really love to wanna help you there but i see you did a show with U:mack/ Aiken / Import /whatever there a coupla months back...so, sorry buddy...come back to us when you're prepared to let us monopolise...."

John (26-02-2001 01:35 p.m.):
I'd be surprised if their methods of business aren't wholly illegal...."jeez, we'd really love to wanna help you there but i see you did a show with U:mack/ Aiken / Import /whatever there a coupla months back...so, sorry buddy...come back to us when you're prepared to let us monopolise...."

Are you talking about something to do with Frontend Synthetics here? I take it you're not talking about Tortoise anyway...

Ticket prices have gone up enormously and very quickly - and seems they're making another great leap forward with Mr. Cave. It does sometimes appear that the more you charge for a gig the more people will turn up - there seems to be an impression in Ireland at the moment that price = quality. Typical of the nouveau riche I suppose.

John (26-02-2001 12:47 p.m.):
but hear this - thinker org - an outfit more punk rock and more full on than andy or damien's best nightmare are getting hundreds and hundreds of downloads a week, and these are 20 meg downloads of entire (short) sets : if that aint a triumph for irish subculture, then I don't know what is.
john,
i'm really glad to see that my opinions (and damiens) whether they be stated or not, are considered each and everytime you post to a webboard - if only more people were this concerned with what i think!

oh and incidently a little maths guy told me the following,
and i quote:

1 x file download = 20megs
100 x file download = 2gigs
2 gigs x 4 weeks = 8 gigs/month
the highest monthly transfer allowance OLM (where soundout.net is hosted) offer is 10 gigs/month
4/5ths of their monthly capacity is being used up on 1 file?

a triumph for irish maths culture me thinks!

andy
ps - my mind has been accessed thousands of times this week without me saying a word about nuthin.

Hey, apparently it's true. Although the massive download of the 20meg Thinker Org file is only a recent phenomenon. There were 200 in one week (that's completely true, believe it or not), then a huge amount of downloads of a shorter track thats there as well.

Most important question - who's downloading it?

Second question - Andy, what about that Platelets gig?

THE TRUTH BURNS A FIRE IN MY LOINS!!!

simon - what platelets gig???? i didnt realise the platelets even played gigs, i thought it was all something i dreamt up!

all this snow is making me want to burn down churches and grow my hair long and go hang out in forrests and kill members of the 'scene'. oh and carry a sword.

andy

Hail Andy, slayer of christians.

or should that be Varg Fogarty?

Are you true?

It's the first time he's played in Dublin with the Bad Seeds, rather than solo, since the SFX show. And the solo shows get a bit tedious when you've seen the same bloody set five times over two years. He did play with the Bad Seeds in Liss Ard in '98.

I certainly ain't shelling out 37 squids to see him, even though I'm a huge fan and very performance I've seen him do with the Bad Seeds has been incredible. It's just taking the piss. Taking the piss, I tell you!

"john,
i'm really glad to see that my opinions (and damiens) whether they be stated or not, are considered each and everytime you post to a webboard - if only more people were this concerned with what i think!"

Nah, I don't really care what you think at all.....i was still reeling from the drunken assault on my punk credendials on Saturday night....I propose Andy to be Thumped.com's official spokesman for keepin' it real.

Nope, i was speaking in general; we don't have much dealings with MCD, although Darragh Purcell once asked Ambulance to support Grandaddy for the princely sum of....no money! Naturally they were honoured....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back