how to thwart a rapist in 15 easy steps (1 Viewer)

nooleen

bad ape
Solutions
A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts- -

The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.

The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women
whose clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around to cut clothing.

They also look for women on their cell phone, searching through their purse or doing other activities while walking because they are off guard and can be easily overpowered.

The time of day men are most likely to attack and rape a woman is in the early morning, between 5 and 8:30 a.m. The number one place women are abducted from/attacked at is grocery store parking lots. Number two is office parking lots/garages. Number three is public restrooms.

The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to a second location where they don't have to worry about getting caught. Only 2% said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 year sentence but rape with a weapon is 15-20 years.

If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realise that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming. These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas, or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands.

Keys are not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.

Defence mechanisms are:

If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is it, or make general small talk, "I can't believe it is so cold out here, we're in for a bad winter". Now you've seen their face and could identify them in a line-up, you lose appeal as a target.

If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell "Stop!" or "Stay back!" Most of the rapists said they'd leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back.

Again, they are looking for an EASY target. If you carry pepper spray, yelling "I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY!" and holding it out will be a deterrent.

If someone grabs you, you can't beat them with strength but you can by outsmarting them. If they grab your wrist, pull your wrist back so your hand is in waving position (palm facing forward) and twist it toward yourself and pull your arm away. It is hard to hold onto wrist bones that are moving in that way. They stumble toward you and you stumble back, so you can use that momentum to bring the same hand out and backhand them with your knuckles in the forehead, nose or teeth.

If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm between the elbow and armpit or in the upper inner thigh HARD. One woman in a class said that she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands - the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it; it hurts.

After the initial hit, always go for the groin. I know from a
particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy's parts it is extremely painful. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause a lot of trouble.

Start causing trouble, and he's out of there. When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. The instructor did it to me without using much pressure, and I ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked audibly.

Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behaviour, don't dismiss it, go with your instincts. You may feel a little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.

did u go to classes nooly and if u did, did u go to enough to b able to give a small demonstration/talk/class? it'd b a good thing to organise, even if u just knew someone who would hold one for a group of us.
im fucking sick and tired of feeling intimidated in my own town. its a nesesety to go places alone at night, its part of day to day life, getting home, meeting friends etc. too many times ive felt threatened going from a to b, and too many people i know have been attaked. it really sucks that sometimes any sudden noise can scare u out of u'r wits, and any person walking to the same way as u can make u constantly watch u'r back and listen to the pace of their footsteps. i hate that i can think right now off the top of my head of a fair few incedents where i have been confronted in a threatening manner, alone. even when i have had my dog with me, ive still been threatened with nasty things.
the only thing to do is to prepare u'r self for the offchance that something may happen to u. not only will it possibly save u from nasty situations, or save u'r life, but it will make u feel that bit more empowered, and give u more confidence, makeing u that bit happier and that bit less of a target.
nice one for bringing it up nooly.
if anyone has any interest, boys and girls, of setting up some kind of general self defence workshop, please say.

hmm i was gonna reply and say
"How to thwart a rapist Be Mingin"

then read ur post, and realised how fucked up being raped must be it's kinda something i'll never have to worry about - although girls generally dont get attacked by 20- strong groups of drunken scumbags, which must make life slightly easier for them.. . .. Society is fiddled.

it's worrying that someone would type that article and provide false and possibly harmful information regarding such a serious issue. Upon reading the above page(see link) i was worried, and yet relieved that the advice which i would have followed was shown to be false.

and another thing - after reading it all, it's made me a little nervous about walking down quiet roads at night :S .. damn bubble-bursters!

even tho the excact information in noolys first post turned out to b from a bad source, what she was saying was very fucking important. i think this is a really important thread.
self defence is something i think that definately should b considered, because regardless of what the link says, some fucker attacks me, im sure as hell gonna fight back, what the hell else are u supposed to do? the link says run, obviously a preference, but running is difficult while u'r beeing attacked/restrained. and to say that an attemp to fight back may turn an attack to a fatal one, what other option does that leave? ok so i'll just stand here and be attacked/raped. FUCK THAT. to b honest that sounds like the stupidest advice i have ever heard. it also says that a person with self defense knowlege who hasnt practiced it in a while is only marginally better than one with no knowlege of self defence, perhaps true, but one margin better off none the less.
i'll b fucking damned if i'll believe that defending yourself isnt that usefull.
going places on your own is ESSENTIAL in life. u cant live as an eternally protected creature forever. im not gonna stop doing things i NEED to do becuz im weak or vulnerable, i have to get home at night, i have to get from a to b.
i think learning self defense is a really good idea, and perhaps pepper spray, as long as its kept somewhere handy, could b usefull too. is no one else interested in doing some kind of self defense?

Fucking right on...I think it's a really good idea. I'm generally not too badly off cos I'm lucky enough to be quite big so people don't fuck with me too much, but there's so many buttbags out there I reckon it's a good idea to know a thing or two about a thing or two...I'm sure some of you heard about that shit over the weekend, 3 separate attempts to abduct teenage girls...it's dodgecore out there kids -punchy kicky things are power, arm yourself!

yep

i'm totally interested in learnin self defence... being a five foot 2 lady i empathise + agree with pretty much everything karen said. i always had it at the back of my mind but as I lived in a field it wasn't very important... but now i've moved to dublin it concerns me pretty much every time I leave the house.
remember that issue of reason to believe that had those tips on self-defence for ladies? anyone want to get together and have a go at them? makes sense to me...

It would help to know self defense but it wud be easier to carry a pocket knife .. and when i usually hear the word rape i get images of isolated country sides or dark forests and shit like that .. but it's so fucked up that it can happen anywhere .. like on crime watch it had a clip of a girl getting followed walking down an alleyway where you cud see in to ppl's gardens and on this day ppl where having a BBQ and she was raped right outside the garden in daylight .. lucky enough the ppl where there to scare the guy away but she was still raped ..

ive discussed this with a few people and the response is pretty positive so next step, we discussed going around womens groups, rape crisis center, gay and lesbian center, all these groups have spaces and would possible help us out, otherwise finding an instructor ourselves, and renting a hall....all that needs be done is for someone to volunteer to trapse around town with me some day real soon..........anyone?
kicky punchy action power yes corm!

i tried to post a reply to this last thursday from an internet cafe but it wouldn't work....
luckily the email i sent to weeler asking him to post it for me is still in my sent items folder [....lucky for me because i love any opportunity to talk/post shite, maybe not so lucky for anyone else......]

that 'urban legend' thing was bullshit - even if the stuff about overalls and long hair etc is misinformation it's harmless, what's the worst that's gonna happen - some woman will throw out her overalls and cut her hair, woah, tragedy central maaan. i'm pretty pissed off about that article because who the fuck is going to submit quietly to rape? how are you supposed to know if someone's a psycho-sadist in ANY situation? what if the guy you cut in front of in the bus line is a psycho and could snap and try to strangle you, does that mean you should let everyone push you around in everyday life? does it fuck!
whether someone is crazy and violent or not, whether they have a weapon or not, i'm going to fight back if someone's attacking me and i think it's safe to say everyone else would do exactly the same.
i'm extremely pissed off about that fucking article now that i think about it, it's basically telling women they shouldn't fight back against attackers!! WHAT THE FUCK is that about??
i say fuck that article and bring on the pepper spray.

Originally posted by nooly
that 'urban legend' thing was bullshit - even if the stuff about overalls and long hair etc is misinformation it's harmless, what's the worst that's gonna happen - some woman will throw out her overalls and cut her hair, woah, tragedy central maaan. i'm pretty pissed off about that article because who the fuck is going to submit quietly to rape?

nooly,

go back and read the last few paragraphs again.

The author of that article wasn't saying you should submit quietly rather than risk fighting back - she suggested that you should get the fuck out of there rather than risk trying to fight back.

There's a bit of a difference.

well if it was so easy to just 'get out of there' then rape wouldn't be a problem, would it? you're going to be grabbed violently by some crazy fucker, not asked politely if you'd mind stepping into a dark alleyway for a minute or two.

Originally posted by nooly
well if it was so easy to just 'get out of there' then rape wouldn't be a problem, would it? you're going to be grabbed violently by some crazy fucker, not asked politely if you'd mind stepping into a dark alleyway for a minute or two.

I don't believe she suggested that either.

nooly...
im really in to organising this self defense thing, and have a few ideas as to where to start, so if u want to meet up in town sometime next week, u can help me trapse around and follow the ideas up. i totally got the impression u did from that article, it was saying to get away but if u cant, there was no suggestion other than that to fight back may get u in trouble with the attacker, which does clearly suggest a rediculusly submissive response, which is really rather silly i thinks.
i wanna get moving on this project but im crap when left to my own lazy ass tea drinking devices. [email protected] is me so if ya do wanna do something about it, mail me.
same goes for anyone else.

self defense isnt only about girls also, the rape discussion is a big one, but anyone could benefit from knowing how to defend themselves, y'all know random crazy things can happen to anyone.

erm, i woke up late and i'm gonna miss the train if i don't leave in a few minutes (i'm in roscommon) but i'll probably go to kilcoole tomorrow so we could discuss it over a civilised can of cider or ten.......
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa gotta go!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back