How much influence does Tardelli have? (1 Viewer)

Jerry Twig

Supporter
Solutions
I've just been wondering this recently in relation to the whole media-generated hullabaloo about the potentially-good-but-by-no-means-yet-anything-great Messrs McClean and McCarthy, do they have the same views on players and tactics, and does Tardelli have any influence over Trap? It's Tardelli who spends a lot more time at games, but then again Trap says all you need are DVDs. They do talk an awful lot on the sidelines, which would suggest that Trap at least values his opinion on things. It was also Tardelli who 'reminded' Trap that McClean was due a run out and the clock was running down.
My sense is that Tardelli is more attuned to players potential and has enough influence to pursuade Trap that certain people should be in there. On tactics, I'm less sure he has much to offer...

I dunno, for whatever reason I get teh impression that he's tactically in the same mould as Trap, but you may be right and he doesn't have much influence over things so he's just overshadowed by the boss.

Is he the presumptive successor to the manager's job? I'm very happy with the man we have in charge right now but I'm not sure I'd want Trap lite running things.

That was sort of the subtext to the thread alright. He has expressed the wish to do so and would be the front runner as long as we don't tank in the WC qualifiers. His managerial record is not good, but that was then, and I do sense he would be a bit (not a lot) more expansive than Trap.

That's a very interesting question. It's not clear how much influence Tardelli has on Trap's selection policy, but from seeing the former quizzed on Italian television about his time with Ireland it's clear that the two are very close friends as well as work colleagues.

Also Tardelli is a regular visitor to a restaurant in West London where some friends of mine work. He seems to attend a lot of games involving Irish players before reporting back to Trap afterwards. Although Trap is clearly an autocratic manager my guess would be that Tardelli recommends which players the former should look out for when watching his various DVDs of games.

Interestingly enough Tardelli comes across as far more abrasive and opinionated on Italian TV than he is when interviewed in the Irish media - although that may just be a question of his language skills when speaking to the press in Ireland and the fact that he has a lifetime pass in Italy for that goal in 82. My sense is that Tardelli could be frank in his exchanges with Trap about selection and tactics, but the final decision is always made by the manager.

Clearly Tardelli is being groomed as Trap's potential successor having stated his interest in the job a few years back. While his record in club management is poor he made his name as manager of the Italy Under-21 team which won the European championship in 2000. A number of players in that squad, e.g. Pirlo, Gattuso, Perrotta, went on to win the World Cup in 2006. So he has a track record of developing young talent - although he did infamously consign Robbie Keane to the reserves when he was managing Inter back in the day.

From the little I know about his preferred tactics he would be more expansive than Trap, who even by Italian standards is considered one of the most conservative, albeit effective, managers in the country’s recent history: e.g. in Euro 2004 he played Cristiano Zanetti and Simone Perrotta, two players who make Whelan and Andrews look like Xavi and Iniesta, in central midfield ahead of Pirlo.

I remember hearing that Tardelli was going mental on the touchline during the Moscow game, seemingly as frustrated as everybody else that Trap wouldn't change anything despite us getting totally battered. I get the feeling he would have his own slightly different style, I wouldn't expect all out attacking fluid football but maybe something a bit less rigid. Whether he'd get the same level of discipline and motivation is another question. Didn't exactly tear it up in any of his previous management stints, all brief and disappointing with the exception of a promotion from Serie C and a decent spell with the Italy Under 21 team. I think we'll be in the mood for a clean break by the time Trap calls it a day.. Chris Hughton might be a good call, depending on how he gets on in the mean time.

I think we'll be in the mood for a clean break by the time Trap calls it a day.. Chris Hughton might be a good call, depending on how he gets on in the mean time.

I agree. Hughton would seem like the obvious candidate, although as you mentioned it will depend on how he's doing at club level. If Birmingham are an established Premiership club when Trap calls it a day I can't see Hughton taking the Ireland job at that point. In many ways international management seems best suited to someone in the twilight of their career or a young upstart trying to quickly make a name for himself before landing a club job.

On another note. What are people's opinions on our chances of qualifying out of our group at the Euros? I was delighted with the draw and my enthusiasm hasn't waned. They've been doing predictions on Off The Ball on Newstalk the last week or so and all of the guests asked have given Ireland no chance of qualifying for the next round. I'm more hopeful. I can see Ireland either winning or drawing with Croatia, losing to Spain and then beating Italy in the final group match. Four points could be enough to get out of the group if Croatia and Italy draw their match and then both lose to Spain. Fingers crossed.

70-30 against, not totally inconcievable.

The Croatia game is key, if we lose it than the jig is up, draw would be an okay result, I think everyone reckons that Spain will beat us and we could well go into the final game with it all to play for still. Though if I were betting on it I wouldn't back us to get out of the group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back