How long you been fending for yourself? (4 Viewers)

The older of my two brothers, incidentally, is 29 and until last year my ma still did all his washing.

ha ha ha

I know a few people like that

I think it's mainly a Dublin thing though, isn't it?

There's 9 in our family, so there was nobody staying at home after like 17 or 18

in fact, the whole family has only been under the one roof on two occasions ever!

The older of my two brothers, incidentally, is 29 and until last year my ma still did all his washing.

shameful!

A friend of mine is 34 and has only now moved out of home

he cant cook, has never cleaned, never paid a bill

My theory-the reason he can afford a house (and I cant) is that he hasnt had to fend for himself for the last 15 years like the rest of us who were oh so eager to make it on our own(tosses hat in the air and spins...ruefully)

bah- i hate him

ah yeah but think about it, all the people you know with a bit of go in them, are any of them living with their parents?

Like is your friend gonna be starting a business any time soon? Or writing a book? Or Or climbing a mountain? Or buying a hou....oh, right.

your kids?!? I think most folks here and now are look at never being able to afford a home without financially secure parents to help out...

Yes, I agree, since that's the position I'm in - I had a resonable sized deposit sitting in my account about a year ago - parents are expensive. I was merely responding to the suggestion that having your kids have to keep you fed and housed has it's drawbacks for the children.

sorry what I meant was I think it's a drag that (our generations) parents are now in a position where it's, maybe not expect of them, but certainly considered that they might re-mortgage their homes to help their kids buy a house

I'd much rather my parents remortgaged their homes and bought themselves a freaking cool speed boat or something awesome like that, they've earned it!

sorry what I meant was I think it's a drag that (our generations) parents are now in a position where it's, maybe not expect of them, but certainly considered that they might re-mortgage their homes to help their kids buy a house

I'd much rather my parents remortgaged their homes and bought themselves a freaking cool speed boat or something awesome like that, they've earned it!

Yes, it is terrible. And, to make it much worse many of our generation actually think that it is the duty of their parents to do this.

A guy I used to work with got married last year. His wife insisted on a very lavish wedding, which their parents mostly paid for. I asked him to stop mentioning the costs to me when they reached €25k. In order for them to buy a house his parents had to remortgage and lend them the deposit.

They were in their mid-late 30's (older than most of us here - except Janer ;)) and seemed to think that this was all very normal :eek:

Yes, it is terrible. And, to make it much worse many of our generation actually think that it is the duty of their parents to do this.

A guy I used to work with got married last year. His wife insisted on a very lavish wedding, which their parents mostly paid for. I asked him to stop mentioning the costs to me when they reached €25k. In order for them to buy a house his parents had to remortgage and lend them the deposit.

They were in their mid-late 30's (older than most of us here - except Janer ;)) and seemed to think that this was all very normal :eek:
sick fux

ha! thats rich coming from you!

Originally Posted by ernesto

gloria.gif

thats fucked up. i wouldn't let my parents put them selves in that much debt for me. they should be enjoying retirement, which they are thankfully.

_

oh good god, that's disgusting. Was it not enough that their parents educated them so that they could get good jobs and therefore do this stuff for themselves?? How could you justify your nearing retirement parents remortgaging!?

oh good god, that's disgusting. Was it not enough that their parents educated them so that they could get good jobs and therefore do this stuff for themselves?? How could you justify your nearing retirement parents remortgaging!?

I thought it was terrible... both of them had good jobs... I'd guess that their combined income is probably at least 80k a year. I never met her but he was always spending money. It was like some kind of delayed adulthood. They actually both moved back in with their respective parents before the wedding to save the money for their dream honeymoon (another €5k for that I believe) - so at least they paid for that by themselves. Bit scary though.

damn you eddie hobbs for saying "twenty four and out the door", i haven't stopped having that quoted at me. after years of hating where we lived i've finally grown to love it and i don't wanna move out. 40 minutes away from town pleeeeease don't kick me ouuuuuut. and at the rate of erosion brittas bay will be at my back door in 10 years...
for any of you's who still live at home, do you's contribute to household costs and how much?

guy I used to work with got married last year. His wife insisted on a very lavish wedding, which their parents mostly paid for. I asked him to stop mentioning the costs to me when they reached €25k. In order for them to buy a house his parents had to remortgage and lend them the deposit.

They should be ashamed of themselves vs I blame the parents.

damn you eddie hobbs for saying "twenty four and out the door", i haven't stopped having that quoted at me. after years of hating where we lived i've finally grown to love it and i don't wanna move out.

You're 17 right? That leaves 7 years of living with your parents til d-day. You still in school? It reckon it really changes once you have finished school because the grown-up buzz hits you and all your college-mates are living out of home (I moved out of home a couple of weeks after the leaving). You may not feel the same a year or two down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back