How long you been fending for yourself? (2 Viewers)

That was a really sore point in my family. About 2 weeks after I'd moved out my Mum asked me to join them for dinner. My parents were trying to talk to me but every time I attempted to respond my siblings would talk over me as loudly as they could. After about 10 minutes of this I stood up, said "That's it, I'm going home", and left. I got a call from my Dad that evening to tell me that Mum was extremely upset - not about my leaving abrubtly but about the use of the word "home".

i found that kinda funny squiggle.
in a "jesus arent families the most irritating people at times" kinda way.

bout 13 years, although I de-fended on occasion for the odd small loan. The last loan was about five years ago

That was a really sore point in my family. About 2 weeks after I'd moved out my Mum asked me to join them for dinner. My parents were trying to talk to me but every time I attempted to respond my siblings would talk over me as loudly as they could. After about 10 minutes of this I stood up, said "That's it, I'm going home", and left. I got a call from my Dad that evening to tell me that Mum was extremely upset - not about my leaving abrubtly but about the use of the word "home".

Awww, your poor Mum!

You'll get through it Deedee - me and Stan were temporarily living with my parents this time 3 years ago while waiting for our flat to be finished. Trying to watch TV was like a feat of endurance.

Thanks Kirstie. I'm not convinced I won't kill them all in their sleep though. :eek:

there's home - which is my gaff
and home home - which is my parents house

Likewise, but i also call anywhere I'm staying over, even for a night, home too which gets rather confusing.

Sometime in 98 I moved from Letterkenny to Dublin, so about eight years or so.

approximately 3 minutes after I moved out, my mother instructed me to remove all traces of my presence from her house, which means I've been carting the same cards from my 10th birthday etc round with me for years now. Poor old me.

Hahaha, me too. And now I've carted it all back to her spare room. Take that Mother! You will never be rid of my lecture notes/birthday cards/love letters/photos etc etc etc

Thanks Kirstie. I'm not convinced I won't kill them all in their sleep though. :eek:

sleep. Haha, I wouldn't have been able to do that - it turned out they never actually go to sleep. Both of them are retired so they stay up all night long, having glasses of wine, watching telly and talking at the tops of their voices; hammering up and down the stairs all night long; standing in the hall discussing the cats at 2am when we had to be up at the crack to go to work, etc etc

the joys.

sleep. Haha, I wouldn't have been able to do that - it turned out they never actually go to sleep. Both of them are retired so they stay up all night long, having glasses of wine, watching telly and talking at the tops of their voices; hammering up and down the stairs all night long; standing in the hall discussing the cats at 2am when we had to be up at the crack to go to work, etc etc

the joys.

:D oh jaysus!

finished college in 99 so pretty much since then, although the mother still often sends me off with a big bag of food whenever i go home (home is the parents place really i think) and the auld lad occasionally still gives me a few quid which i feel bad for taking and for feeling bad about it but still taking it... i moved home for a little while a few years ago when i got a job nearby and it was nice fand all but i dont think i could do it again. set me back years mentally.

i have a load of books and some old clothes at home still, thats about it. my brothers and sisters use it as an all purpose storage facility.

I have reverted to a 15 year old and scowl at them all the time

this was me over Christmas, it's awful how quickly you revert back to old ways, 'snot fair!I was ten years emancipated last September, it's great anyone who lives at home past 21 is lame. Fact.

Whats also amusing is my folks differing attitude to me and my 20 yr old brother...

"oh, he missed the last bus from town, I hope he's okay"

"YOU SENT ME TO ATHLONE WHEN I WAS 18"

"shall we ring him on his mobile"

"I LIVED IN A HOUSE WITH NO HEAT"

"maybe we should drive into town and pick him up"

"I SPENT ALL MY MONEY ON DRUGS!!!"

my father kicked me out of the 8th dimension when i was 6 million eons old.

i still visit for thanksgiving, but it's awkward.

Last year I moved my stuff back in with my parents and visited them in between trips abroad... but as I was financially supporting them for the year that doesn't really count. My brother and his wife came back home for a while so they were able to take over and thankfully my Dad has a job now.

Wow squiggle, supporting your own parents! I think I'll have another child to keep me in my old age!

I moved out of my parents' home in 1989, and stopped being funded by them in 1993 (when I finished my degree and started on the dole). They've given us a good chunk of money towards our house though, fair play to them. They got very generous after my brothers got jobs and were able to fund their own drugs habits
The older of my two brothers, incidentally, is 29 and until last year my ma still did all his washing.

Just make sure that you're always broke and they have to earn every penny of pocket money... that way they'll grow up able to fend for themselves and grateful that you taught them how to... and rather than see Mum and Dad starve hopefully they'll pitch in and pay the bills etc.

Worked well for my folks!

Downside is that your kids will probably never be able to afford their own home without financially secure parents to help out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back