How long for a gig that you don't feel let down? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter IFF
  • Start date
  • Replies 64
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 3
Maybe unless as with my Strokes story earlier the band are fucking huge after 1 album.

Only band I can think of off the top of my head that were "big" after one album...Fleet Foxes in Vicar Street....around €22.50+charges, played about an hour. Seemed fair to me.
I don't think I would know any bands that are "fucking huge" after 1 album these days. Because I'm getting old and I won't hear anything by them unless it's by mistake.

Only band I can think of off the top of my head that were "big" after one album...Fleet Foxes in Vicar Street....around €22.50+charges, played about an hour. Seemed fair to me.
I don't think I would know any bands that are "fucking huge" after 1 album these days. Because I'm getting old and I won't hear anything by them unless it's by mistake.

Lana Del Rey in that venue, over 40 quid for a ticket. Her booking agent is a god.

Lana Del Rey in that venue, over 40 quid for a ticket. Her booking agent is a god.

I'd regard an artiste like Lana Del Rey Reardon (tks Dr. Love) as being in a different category altogether though. That's pop music, isn't it? And I know all about her and loads of her songs, all completely by mistake. Quite like them too, actually.

remember that sigur ros gig in the olympia years ago? jesus that felt like it went on a while. i was in the upper upper circle and some fella went out to the bar and came back with a packet of salt and vinegar tayto that he ate beside my head.

Cinnamon Boy is fairly spot on with this ticket price to gig time ratio there. Long gigs can be a hassle if you're drinking and then need a wee. I get freaked out watching the crowds on Glastonbury wondering how the people at the front could possibly get to the toilet.

Sure it all depends dunnit? I'd expect early DRI to come out and blast my face off for 15 minutes, but I'd expect Hawkwind to give it a slow melt over 90 minutes.

incidentally, whats the longest gig people have ever been to? As in the longest single set, as opposed to something that several bands played at.

hmmmmmmmm

Well, probably the Cure for me. Or those Leonard Cohen gigs went on for close to 3 hours also. And Bruce. Don't think I've ever been to anything that went much over the 3 hour mark.

u2,Dandelion Market 1979...Phil Lynmott played a 4 hour bass solo.I was there.Best gig I was ever at.Was fucking locked.Pissed in my pants cos I couldnt get to the jacks..Smiley Bolger was in the way.He was there with Brush Shilelds.Brush had a full head of hair back then.He was saying how Self Aid was gonna be great.

I think Bob Monkhouse did a stand up routine...no hang on that was Bob Marley..Dalymount Park..1980.Best gig I was ever at.Bob Geldof got the idea for Band Aid at that,while he was queing for the jax.Smiley Bolger was taking ages in there again.

Scullion were Bobs backing band I remember..the Wailers couldnt make it..they were in the studio with Christy Moore recording Lisdoonvarra..no hang on..it was Christy Dignam...they were up in Christies Mams gaf eating coddle.6 hours worth of coddle they ate.

Bob Dylan...he played one song for fucking hours. I killed myself.

When my band used to run out of material we'd just play the ones we knew again

Everyone was drunk so no one minded

I agree about encores..just have them in the set..unless there is some huge demand from the audience that you have to come back on to avoid a riot

Ahhh..the thing about encores is though...I think the regular non muso audience likes to get an encore...they believe it makes them special

I've seen long sets that were obviously broken up into sections, not encores per say but sections Can't think of a good example of this except Sonic Youth, who played virtually their whole Sonic Nurse album at Brixton academy then a very short break followed by a half hour of "hits" then another longer break and then Expressway for about 40 minutes. It was fucking savage but it felt like 3 seperate shows.

Longest apart from that Godspeed felt like they played for about a week, Radiohead did that same sections thing in the tent that was long.

Longest I've played was about 70 minutes but to be fair 20 of that was probably tuning. *Sniggers*

Brush Sheils set at Self Aid went on for 3 weeks...most of which was him jigging about

And this was my 17001st post.

And they said I'd never amount to anything.

Pink Floyd played well over three hours when I went to see them in 1994. i was obsessive about them at the time, there were lasers all over the place, fantastic guitar solos and yet even i had enough of it by the end.

Brush Sheils set at Self Aid went on for 3 weeks...most of which was him jigging about

And this was my 17001st post.

And they said I'd never amount to anything.

♫here we go here we go here we go♫

AC/DC played a long show when I saw them in The Garden...was great though

I was at the Killers first gig here (all abuse that comes my way from that admission is richly deserved). It was meant to be in Whelans but got upgraded to the Olympia because they got absolutely huge in the meantime. Its possibly the only gig I've ever been at that, despite hating every horrible minute of it, still felt it was too short. They played for 45 minutes which probably would have been grand in Whelans. Not their fault so many people got suckered in by their crap and decided to like it I suppose.

Fleet Foxes.
What a load of Pitchfork hyped bollocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back