Horrid Old Architecture (1 Viewer)

Yeah, those are pretty hideous. Though at least Trellick tower was designed by a Bond villian :) 70s and 80s precast-concrete tower blocks are a goldmine for aesthetic bankruptcy.

Nastiest buildings in Dublin:

Hawkins House (a.k.a. the Department of Health)
Phibsboro shopping centre
The motor tax office on Chancery Place

"...Busáras is one of the first post Second World War examples of the International Modern style in Europe. Busáras was designed by Michael Scott and his team of young architects and designers between 1945 and 1953. It was built against a background of public opposition which centred on the external appearance, function and excessive cost - over £1,000,000 before completion in 1953."

http://www.irish-architecture.com/buildings_ireland/dublin/northcity/store_street/busaras/index.html

RIAI gold medal me arse! It's a rotten looking miserable building.

The old Richmond Hospital in between Smithfield and Stoneybatter, on the other hand... fantastic. I can't believe it's there every time I walk past it.

I think Bus Aras is a fantastic piece of modernist architecture, so there. And the additions and changes that were so insensitively made to it were not part of the original design and have compromised it. But in essence it still looks rad - stand near it and look up, it's got some fantastic detailing.

Completely agree with Kirstie. I think Busarus is one of the best pieces of architecture in Dublin. It's a bit dirty, but the actual building itself is pretty impressive.

There's a lot of crappy buildings over here. The college my girlfriend goes to (the London Met on Holloway Road) is ridiculously bad - both inside and out. Completely out of proporation with the local area and a hideous great big chunk of dary grey nothingness.

Department of Health - yes... absolute tripe.

The Civic Offices:

civic.gif

Cuased quite a stir when built.
What with the viking remains found on site and it blocking the view of Christchurch cathedral.

I quite like them though. Far more interesting that that bland piece of shit they were forced to build to cover it up.

The central bank derserves a special mention too:

central_bank_lge.jpg

I think most of the architectural montrositys in Dublin were built in the last 10 years.

They're both by Sam Stephenson, aren't they? Clunky and heavy and graceless of form, the pair of them.

kirstie said:
They're both by Sam Stephenson, aren't they? Clunky and heavy and graceless of form, the pair of them.

There are indeed. Clunky and heavy? The oringinal Civic offices certainly, but the idea was that the buildings should be very imposing and have a sense of strength and safety, thereby, in theory, giving people the sense that the corporation had these same qualities. Does it work? Probably not, as references like these are mostly only picked up on by other architects.

The Central bank is an engineering masterpiece, essentially built from the top down, it think its anything bu......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

*boring myself to sleep

I like trellick tower. Busarus too, but hate the way it's maintained.

Bank of scotland on stephens green is pretty sharp too; inside and out. Shame it's a bank.

i dont have a picture of it but that branch of marino college down at the 5 lamps is the most depressing looking building ever..

the new world trade centre design. Hello scene from a German expressionist nightmare.

muffin said:
i dont have a picture of it but that branch of marino college down at the 5 lamps is the most depressing looking building ever..

Is that Cert House? Thats a good example.
Can't find a picture of it, alas.

Busarus is fucking deadly looking, I love it.

its called connolly house...its the fuckin ugliest building and i can only imagine that walkin in every day would kill yr spirit...

Zeelander said:
http://www.open2.net/modernity/jpgs/cumber1_lrg.jpg

I really like this actually. It looks like a forlorn architectural jumble. It makes me smile. I can see how probably everyone else in the world would think it's ugly though!

I like it too, I think it is minging but something about the harshness of the concrete architecture appeals to me.

A friend of mine grew up in Cumbernauld new town. It was a very bleak place back in the 80's, there was literally nothing there aside from the concrete monstrosities and tower blocks.

Heres some more grim pics of Cumbernauld new town

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kilsyth/cumbernauld-1.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back