Homework (1 Viewer)

Two hours homework a day? No student does that nowadays, I can assure you. One hour tops, unless they're doing a last minute essay. Make sure your kid realises there is a reward for hard work and that they have a positive environment at home and school. If they have those, they will be absolutely fine. Don't overwork them, or they will get into a mindset of "I have to do this, because I was ordered to" and never push your kid to do something they don't want to do. if they are interested in history then support them as much as you can. Same with music, languages, art and everything.

You do realise that an awful lot of very successful people were pushed very hard by their parents a children, don't you? Classical musicians and sportspeople are the obvious examples - Tiger Woods, the Williams sisters, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Lots and lots of parents push their children, and I don't know if they're any less happy, or get on any less well together, as a result

Two hours homework a day? No student does that nowadays, I can assure you.

Haha
Dude, I know we started off talking about Anthony's primary school kids, but you seem to be saying here that no-one in primary OR secondary school is doing homework for >1 hr a night. Surely that's not what you're saying, is it? Cos if it is I'd say you're wildly wrong

Haha
Dude, I know we started off talking about Anthony's primary school kids, but you seem to be saying here that no-one in primary OR secondary school is doing homework for >1 hr a night. Surely that's not what you're saying, is it? Cos if it is I'd say you're wildly wrong

i concur sir

jeaney mack egg, how old are yer kids, 4 and 6? haha

and Ian, what's going on with you guys?

Mozart, he was like, a one in a million genius wasn't he? Bit of a non-sequiter, that.

Roger Greenberg from the film Greenberg said:
The thing about you kids (twentynothings at a party) is that you're all kind of insensitive. I'm glad I grew up when I did cos your parents were too perfect at parenting- all that baby Mozart and Dan Zanes songs; you're just so sincere and interested in things! There's a confidence in you guys that's horrifying. You're all ADD and carpal tunnel. You wouldn't know Agoraphobia if it bit you in the ass, and it makes you mean. You say things to someone like me who's older and smarter with this light air... I'm freaked out by you kids. I hope I die before I end up meeting one of you in a job interview.

Sigh, I wasn't being literal. There's probably students who do three hours homework everyday. 85% of students don't do over 2 hours though. And I'm being literal there. (Not counting uni students obviously, or exam time)

I don't have any kids so I have nothing constructive to offer. I remember I was awful as a kid because my homework was pretty unsupervised as it was just me da around, mostly. I wouldn't write my homework down properly so when I went home my Dad would kind of just scan to see that I'd vaguely done it. I was a pretty good student though, aside from the sheer lack of drive but I do wish I'd been pushed harder. I mean it wasn't my Dad's fault, I'd say most people were the same when I was in primary school, but yeah, I think my propensity to quit very easily and procrastinate came from that. My Dad didn't believe in driving us into the ground and kind of let us do what we wanted - in a loving way - so I took lots of extra cirriculars too and quit them all! Anyway this isn't very useful, but I'd imagine what's needed is a balance. I think this reward system is sort of nice in theory but sends out the wrong message overall, as does the walking them through it and forcing them to do it. I can only imagine its a very hard balance to strike!

Definitely, musical da or no Mozart still would have been a genius, sure he was doing stuff his da couldn't do when he was about 10

When he was 10 he'd already been playing piano for 7 years, and composing for 6. Not denying that he was one of a kind, but from a very early age music was pretty much all he did, and his da (an accomplished musician himself) was his tutor. Genius doesn't spring from the ground fully-formed, y'know?

Snaky, I'm way too much of a softie to push my kids into anything myself, but if I did push them they might easily be more successful, and maybe happier in the long run. Who knows? I think SomethingManic saying "you should never push your kids to do something they don't want to do" is just a way of justifying your own behaviour by pretending it's the right thing to do, and so is bullshit.

Also it's a way, I suppose, of discouraging other people from pushing their kids so those kids won't have an advantage over yours ...

I think SomethingManic saying "you should never push your kids to do something they don't want to do" is just a way of justifying your own behaviour by pretending it's the right thing to do, and so is bullshit.

Within reason. Obviously, kids won't want to do homework but you have to push them to do it.

Snaky, I'm way too much of a softie to push my kids into anything myself, but if I did push them they might easily be more successful, and maybe happier in the long run. Who knows? I think SomethingManic saying "you should never push your kids to do something they don't want to do" is just a way of justifying your own behaviour by pretending it's the right thing to do, and so is bullshit.

I think "Who knows?" is the key here. Parents know! Or they should at least.

I think SomethingManic's point is just the more liberal approach, rather than a justification for a parent's own shortcomings. For every parent who holds back too much from pushing their children, there's one who pushes theirs too hard, and when you think of it pushing your children can also be a result of a parent's shortcomings - pushing your children to "success" as a result of not having achieved it yourself.

Also it's a way, I suppose, of discouraging other people from pushing their kids so those kids won't have an advantage over yours ...

Ah c'mon now...has a loony soccer mom hacked Egg's account? What's going on here?

When he was 10 he'd already been playing piano for 7 years, and composing for 6. Not denying that he was one of a kind, but from a very early age music was pretty much all he did, and his da (an accomplished musician himself) was his tutor. Genius doesn't spring from the ground fully-formed, y'know?

And how many other kids could do that from when they were 3 or 4? Pffft.

In the past 15 months my demographic of students has swung from being hobbyists and curious types to entirely kids pushed by parents. they have their kids in with me, and at 2-3 other forms of evening classes - scheduling is a pain in the ass every week as every student is involved in so much . strangely (to me) even some of the parents who are paying me to show up are shocked at how many activities kids are involved in. i understand this goes beyond homework as such, but is related to the 'making kids do stuff' side of this things. basically there are definitely parents out there who are pushing there kids into stuff to give them an edge later in life, wether it works or not i don't know and its no use telling them straight out that their kid has no interest in it.

Snaky, I'm way too much of a softie to push my kids into anything myself, but if I did push them they might easily be more successful, and maybe happier in the long run. Who knows?

My Mother had that exact same idea. It worked well on my three older brothers all of whom are very successful academically/career wise but not with me. If you notice your child not doing a tap I'd start being a nag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back