Home improvement (5 Viewers)

I'm no engineer - but as the place hasn't fallen down so far, it's only like to be an issue if you extend, or if the ground it's standing on becomes significantly wetter or dryer in the years to come.

I think there may be subsidence somewhat.
Definitely was historically since all my floor joists were sagging toward the centre of the house before we started the work. And the house gets awful wet from the front (we have only recently cleared out a blocked French drain) and the neighbouring side. Crumbling adjoining wall plaster.
He was showing me his side and it’s definitely coming in the back of his house from a higher property (apartment block) that doesn’t get its drains / gutters cleared regularly enough. We’ve sorted a lot of water ingress / damp problems but there’s always more somewhere that will need ongoing maintenance!

We have a double story 1980s extension to the rear and it was just thrown up. Built directly on/into the neighbouring stone wall - not even any block work or an air gap. Essentially a lean-to mould trap.

We have plans to take back the wall to stone and potentially just like plastering it and leaving it and add vents where possible.
And hope for the best!

Doubt we’ll ever find out. Hope there’s no need to anyway

My grandmothers place was foundationless and the two things that we all remember is the moisture line on the walls of the living area would rise when the tide came in and it essentially had to be painted end to end annually to not be horrific to live in. I think you have foundations tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

• pete
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back